Drive Distribution System Failure & Trailer Hitch Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 12:47 PM
Willywins
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive Distribution System Failure & Trailer Hitch Control Unit Install

Hello Everyone,

We installed a factory OEM trailer hitch and control unit. When plugging Connector C (10-pin) from the trunk of the Cayenne to the control unit we get the "Drive Distribution System Failure" message. We plugged Connectors A, B and C per the instructions given to us by the dealer. Has anyone experienced this or had success in installation? Thank you in advance.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:17 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,655 Likes on 1,385 Posts

It looks like your instructions may be outdated. There have been three updates since the original retrofit instructions were published. Here’s the latest dated June 2022. It specifically mentions the addition of “Plug socket preparation for USA version”.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15388-0001.pdf

It also imposes a “Permissible tongue weight of 140 kg” (309 lbs). The factory installed hitch’s tongue weight limit is 772 lbs (661 lbs for the Turbo SE). This seems like a major limitation of the retrofitted hitch. You may wish to speak with the dealership about this.

Another thought. The vehicle needs coding after the installation. The vehicle suspension, rear camera, comfort tailgate, (and drive distribution?) behave differently when a trailer is connected to the electrical harness. Perhaps the Drive Distribution fault will be corrected once coded with PIWIS.

Last edited by Schnave; 08-16-2022 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
OncPorsche (08-16-2022), Willywins (09-29-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 08:33 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Coding is what I am thinking.
The following users liked this post:
Willywins (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 AM
Willywins
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it has been a few weeks. I hadn't had time to provide an update but here it is. Thank you Schnave for the updated retrofit instructions and tips. Chassis thank you as well!

The dealer helped me realized I should have installed the RD / GN, RD / YE lines that came with the hitch between Fuse Holder H and Connector B per the retrofit instructions. I did not install these lines at first because Connector B's chamber 1 and 6 were "used", and the RD / GN refer to a "Swivel Motor" which my hitch does not have. The service advisor also acknowledged the unclear instructions. So they installed the lines along with the PIWIS hitch programming which cleared the faults.

The following 2 users liked this post by Willywins:
dalves11 (09-28-2022), Schnave (09-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Drive Distribution System Failure & Trailer Hitch Control Unit Install