Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCCB vs Steel - Performance difference?

Old 08-29-2021, 10:10 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 854 Posts
Default PCCB vs Steel - Performance difference?

Is there a performance difference between PCCBs vs steels? I have ceramics in every car I own and I love them. I just dont know if they make a difference in driving in cayenne. Everyone loves them but havent seen any comparison between them and standard brakes?

This is for GTS model.

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

What happened to the GTS you already ordered back in July?
or was that all a lie?

Last edited by CanuckGT4; 08-29-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:16 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
This is eye opening But we dont usually drive SUVs in that manner. You’ll never do back to back hard braking. In other more normal driving, can you feel the difference? All the video reviews of the GTS has the press car fitter with PCCB. I think no one has done a back to back comparison.

They are pretty huge though and fill up the entire 21” wheel. I dont know how much risk there is daily driving them. Sometime might get stuck there and destroy one of the rotors.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:02 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I just dont know if they make a difference in driving in cayenne.
I would consider them to make even MORE of a difference in a Cayenne that weighs far more than a sports car, as there is a lot more weight to haul down from speed. Add a trailer, and you've got even more energy to disperse.
I have 958 Cayenne turbos with and without the ceramic brakes, and the bite on the ceramic brakes is wonderful. While the steel brakes are great on their own compared to other cars, compared to the ceramics, their lack of bite is very significant. Another thing is the lack of dust. Again, due to the heavy weight, the standard brakes make a lot of dust that must be cleaned at every car wash if you want shiny wheels, while the PCCB make very little, if any dust.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:21 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
I would consider them to make even MORE of a difference in a Cayenne that weighs far more than a sports car, as there is a lot more weight to haul down from speed. Add a trailer, and you've got even more energy to disperse.
I have 958 Cayenne turbos with and without the ceramic brakes, and the bite on the ceramic brakes is wonderful. While the steel brakes are great on their own compared to other cars, compared to the ceramics, their lack of bite is very significant. Another thing is the lack of dust. Again, due to the heavy weight, the standard brakes make a lot of dust that must be cleaned at every car wash if you want shiny wheels, while the PCCB make very little, if any dust.
This is a good point. I will see if I can convince my wife about this. Honestly this rust problem is a major PITA for me. The iron deposits when they sit on the side of the car long enough do not come off quickly with regular wash. I have to use a lot of Iron X which is the only thing that has worked for me in the past vehicles. But that stuff isnt very easy to work with, dries and stains quickly if not washed right away, smells bad, and in a few days you are back to square one.

One a side note those 10 piston calipers look just amazing, totally match the size and stance of the car.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:39 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

My one regret is not getting PCCB. My Turbo has PSCB which I hate. They're noisy and grabby. I have PCCB on my Taycan and love them. Quiet, nice pedal feel and no dust.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

One question (from my wife), the cayenne will be parked outside 24/7/365 including winter which means minus F in night time certain times of the year. I have done some search but cant really find an answer as to how they do in these conditions.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:59 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

One question (from my wife), the cayenne will be parked outside 24/7/365 including winter which means minus F in night time certain times of the year. I have done some search but cant really find an answer as to how they do in these conditions.
You should build a garage for your Cayenne.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:02 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
You should build a garage for your Cayenne.
I should, but I wont be able to yet. And I do have plans for this in the future but not right away.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:06 AM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

You’ll be traction limited in all street scenarios I can imagine, and this is coming from someone who uses these luxo-barge SUVs as a tow vehicle for 50% of the year.

Beyond brake dust issues, I really can’t think of a captivating reason to go PCCBs. This maybe covered in another thread but PSCB doesn’t seem to be an selectable option for the 21/22MY builds.

Keeping the intended purposes of the Cayennes in mind, more bite isn’t always a good thing, as that degrades the level of modulation you’ll have.

Last edited by DC021; 08-30-2021 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:53 AM
kayjh
Drifting

I should, but I wont be able to yet.
Why??
Old 08-30-2021, 11:56 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Why??
Its a big project. It will be my shop that I can fit a 2 post rotary lift. That means 13' ceiling, 6000 psi concrete, etc.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Its a big project. It will be my shop that I can fit a 2 post rotary lift. That means 13' ceiling, 6000 psi concrete, etc.
But shouldn't you spend the money on the big project to park the car in before you get the car? All you need is an architect and some cash and they can fix you up in 3 -4 months. Forget the disks rusting (which can happen inside too), but what about the neighbourhood trolls stealing hood emblems, breaking windows and running keys down the side of your new suv! It needs to be in a garage!
Old 08-30-2021, 12:25 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

But shouldn't you spend the money on the big project to park the car in before you get the car? All you need is an architect and some cash and they can fix you up in 3 -4 months. Forget the disks rusting (which can happen inside too), but what about the neighbourhood trolls stealing hood emblems, breaking windows and running keys down the side of your new suv! It needs to be in a garage!
Haha - yeah we dont have that stuff where I live thankfully and its not a 3-4 month project unfortunately due to how my property is (on a steep hill). Its a bit more involved and the cost is much higher as a result. I have been told 1 year+ with everything as it will be very custom work. Engineers are involved, township has to approve where it will be (and it will need exception approval due to how close its going to be to the neighbor), etc. I will also need a new driveway in the process because I was told when cement trucks and excavators get in, the driveway will go toast. 200k+ when all said and done.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Tire grip stop your vehicle not your brakes - the amount of grip your tires generate equal the car’s behavior under all braking conditions - both steel brakes and PCCB’s far exceed the level of “grip” your tires can generate - so tire grip limits dictate your vehicles deceleration performance - ABS further limits performance as it will stop the tires from skidding - both steel & PCCB’s can easily invoke ABS meaning they generate greater grip than the tires can handle. PCCB’s have greater thermal absorption characteristics for greater endurance under-stressful circumstances (repeated high thermal load applications in a short time frame with limited ability to “cool” down) - there are few if any legal or extra-legal street driving circumstances where there is any noticeable difference between steel and PCCB brakes - track driving is required to experience improved braking performance, and even then only longer track sessions (15 of hard driving at full pace) will illuminate the differences between steel and PCCB’s for repeated high stress usage - on my GT3 where I’ve run both steel and PCCB’s it take a 25 min or more session before I’m able to note any measurable difference in brake fade characteristics between steel and PCCB - but the GT3 is much lighter than a Cayenne…

PCCB’s are better brakes no question - but not in any way that can be encountered in street driving without inducing a reckless driving charge.

PCCB’s generate no brake dust, and look great cosmetically - however in 99.9999999% of your vehicles’s useful life you will NEVER encounter a situation in which they are “better” brakes than Porsche steel brakes from a stopping performance point of view.

they are the “gold plated optical cables” of the braking industry - and a marketing triumph for Porsche given they’ve made these very very high margin options desirable leading to conversations like these threads.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
rafamrqs (03-29-2022), Tedster (08-30-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - Performance difference?