Sponsored By:

Tow Package Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 12:06 PM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Did the dealer do any light/power testing when they did the coding?

Did the dealer checked that all the towing fuses were installed?

You are using an LED Trailer Wiring Adapter right? My 2019 needed one to work correctly with LEDs trailers. Don't know if Porsche’s newer models still need it.
@PorscheACC Thanks for the response & good questions. I followed up with the dealer and the advisor said they do not do any checking/testing after coding — they say they have no tool for this nor trailer to test the system out. I’m anticipating that since I did the install myself, the dealer will say the problem is something I did, not a shortcoming on their part (I know, I’m such a cynic). Anyhow, thought I’d troubleshoot what I can and take it back to the dealer if I can’t figure it out. I’m using the Pollak 11-893P RV 7-way socket — I believe it’s the same socket as OEM. I assume it is LED capable. I used a 7-pin to 4-pin (flat) adapter attached to the Pollak 7-way and it has 4 LED test lights that are supposed to show the hitch wiring is good. Thanks again and please let me know if you have any other suggestions. 🙏🏻

Last edited by BobEisenberg; 05-21-2024 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (05-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:21 AM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Did the dealer do any light/power testing when they did the coding?

Did the dealer checked that all the towing fuses were installed?

You are using an LED Trailer Wiring Adapter right? My 2019 needed one to work correctly with LEDs trailers. Don't know if Porsche’s newer models still need it.
@PorscheACC I did a bit more research and see I may need a 7-way to 7-way lamp out bypass adapter to address the LED issue you referenced. Of course, no online stores seem to have one of these in stock that I’ve been able to find. E-trailer.com says they can get me one by the end of August. Nice. Just wanted to thank you again for your suggestions.
Bob
Old 05-22-2024, 09:21 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BobEisenberg
@PorscheACC I did a bit more research and see I may need a 7-way to 7-way lamp out bypass adapter to address the LED issue you referenced.
Did you probe the pins of the port with a basic 12V test light (mine has an incandescent bulb) to verify that power is getting there at all? I did that just now on my Cayenne.

Last edited by Woofman; 05-22-2024 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added diagram
Schnave (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:07 AM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Originally Posted by Woofman
Did you probe the pins of the port with a basic 12V test light (mine has an incandescent bulb) to verify that power is getting there at all? I did that just now on my Cayenne.

A great idea. I didn’t know the pin assignments so thanks so much for the graphic. I’ll check this eve after work. If there’s 12v to the pins that should be powered, though, I’m guessing that bypass adapter noted above will do the job for trailers with LED lights. Alternatively, I may also see if a friend of mine’s trailer has incandescent lights to test out my hitch. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Last edited by BobEisenberg; 05-22-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:14 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BobEisenberg
A great idea. I didn’t know the pin assignments so thanks so much for the graphic. I’ll check this eve after work. If there’s 12v to the pins that should be powered, though, I’m guessing that bypass adapter noted above will do the job for trailers with LED lights. Alternatively, I may also see if a friend of mine’s trailer has incandescent lights to test out my hitch. Thanks again for your suggestions!
I suggest you use a 12V test light first - available at any auto parts store and maybe at discount stores if you don't have one. If you buy one with a clamp on the end of its cable, you can put a nail or a straightened paper clip in the clamp to use to probe the negative pin in the 7-way port. You can verify that the test light is functional by putting its clamp on the battery negative bolt and its probe on the battery positive bolt in the engine compartment near the firewall on the passenger side. If you find there's no power at the 7-way port, you'll need to revisit the instructions you followed when installing the hitch's wiring harness.

If you've never messed with the battery terminals in the engine compartment, the following post shows them: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19252883

Last edited by Woofman; 05-22-2024 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:51 AM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Originally Posted by Woofman
I suggest you use a 12V test light first - available at any auto parts store and maybe at discount stores if you don't have one. If you buy one with a clamp on the end of its cable, you can put a nail or a straightened paper clip in the clamp to use to probe the negative pin in the 7-way port. You can verify that the test light is functional by putting its clamp on the battery negative bolt and its probe on the battery positive bolt in the engine compartment near the firewall on the passenger side. If you find there's no power at the 7-way port, you'll need to revisit the instructions you followed when installing the hitch's wiring harness.

If you've never messed with the battery terminals in the engine compartment, the following post shows them: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19252883
@Woofman Greet suggestions! Thank you. Pretty sure I have a 12v tester with an incandescent bulb. Will test this eve and report back to the group. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:09 PM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

Thanks again for the suggestions. Tested the 7-way for power this eve but no dice. It’s possible the ground is bad and the power to the other pins is there but it was dark out by the time I looked at this so I’ll dig into it more tomorrow. If no power to pins, I’ll retrace my steps taken to connect the hitch wiring. Thanks again for the helpful info and suggestions.
Woofman (05-22-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:53 PM
BobEisenberg
Track Day

@Woofman and @PorscheACC Problem solved with much appreciation for your suggestions. I used a 12 volt incandescent tester and confirmed the ground at the 7-pin connector was good, but no power to any of the other pins. I confirmed the car’s trailer hitch pre-wiring (this was an option shown on the build sheet) had power to some of the pins — that pre-wired connector plugs directly into the hitch controller. This made me suspect the connector for the hitch wiring that goes from the controller to the hitch 7-way. Sure enough, I didn’t have that connector all the way plugged in on the controller. Of course, only Porsche can justify using a connector that no one has ever seen before and that should come with its own instruction manual. At least I’d never seen one like it. Anyway, once that was plugged into the controller properly, the LED test lights on my 7-pin to flat 4-pin adapter lit up just fine. Based on that, I’m assuming I won’t need a 7-way to 7-way lamp out bypass adapter, but I’m going to swing by a U-Haul and plug a trailer in just to be sure all is on order. Thank you again for taking the time to help me out. 🙏🏻

Bob
The following 3 users liked this post by BobEisenberg:
PorscheACC (05-24-2024), Schnave (05-24-2024), Woofman (05-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Tow Package Wiring Problem