Sponsored By:

Washing engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 AM
Porsche19
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing engine bay

Took the Cayenne offroad when we were in Utah over Memorial weekend. Fantastic time! Sas some muddy roads amd decided to check out the different drive modes. They all handled perfectly.

Washed the mud off the car shortly after going offroad, but noticed there was some mud inside of the engine bay. Any
recommendations for cleaning the engine?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a lot of ways you can skin this cat!

I would recommend using Scrubbing Bubbles. This is the easiest process I have found.
https://www.target.com/p/scrubbing-b...z/-/A-12972704

Steps:
-Spray Mr. Bubbles on the engine while it's cold. Let Mr. Bubbles soak for 2 to 3 minutes.
-Use one of the semi-disposable Costco yellow microfiber towels to scrub the areas which have grease or heavy dirt build up.
-You can use a damp microfiber towel to washdown the rest of the area or you can hose* it out with water.
*Make sure to be careful with your electrical connectors. The bubbles will not hurt it but the water can. You can always wrap/cover the electrical areas with leftover grocery bags and some tape. Also, makes sure you don't get any water in the LED bulb housing area.

Bonus Step:
-If you want the engine area to shine after, apply either Zaino Z-14 Plastic Magic, 303 Aerospace or Griots Garage Engine Dressing to the plastic areas.

Links:
Microfiber towels-
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100356999.html
Engine Shine-
https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html
http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-14.html
https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...ons+liquids.do
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (12-12-2020)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Use a Dedicated Engine Cleaner, Not a Household Cleaning Product

Originally Posted by Porsche19
Took the Cayenne offroad when we were in Utah over Memorial weekend. Fantastic time! Sas some muddy roads amd decided to check out the different drive modes. They all handled perfectly.

Washed the mud off the car shortly after going offroad, but noticed there was some mud inside of the engine bay. Any
recommendations for cleaning the engine?
Stick to a dedicated engine cleaning product like Sonax Engine Cleaner. Spray it on the affected areas while the engine is cool, then agitate with a brush to break up the mud. After that, rinse thoroughly, avoiding spraying directly into electrical connections. Once you are done rinsing, start the engine or go for a drive to evaporate the remaining moisture.

Originally Posted by MasonRite
There's a lot of ways you can skin this cat!

I would recommend using Scrubbing Bubbles. This is the easiest process I have found.
https://www.target.com/p/scrubbing-b...z/-/A-12972704

Bonus Step:
-If you want the engine area to shine after, apply either Zaino Z-14 Plastic Magic, 303 Aerospace or Griots Garage Engine Dressing to the plastic areas.
DO NOT use Scrubbing Bubbles, or any other kind of household cleaner that was meant for kitchen or bathroom. These chemicals contain strong additives that can fade or stain plastic, which you have a lot of in your engine bay.

Additionally, avoid using an oily topical treatment that leaves a residue on the surface of the plastics. These types of products will attract dust and dirt, rather than simply leaving a clean, dry surface.
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the car looks hot with mud on it. I'd leave it like that and enjoy the jaw-dropping gawks from the unsuspecting onlookers in the Costco parking lot.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I think the car looks hot with mud on it. I'd leave it like that and enjoy the jaw-dropping gawks from the unsuspecting onlookers in the Costco parking lot.
Yes. That's a real-damned SUV there. No grocery-getter for you! Oh, wait...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Porsche19
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Yes. That's a real-damned SUV there. No grocery-getter for you! Oh, wait...
Bahaha! There were some grocery shoppers staring at the car.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Scrubbing Bubbles, don't mess around and don't worry Used it on everything from classic Corvettes to my Cayenne. I was skeptical at first when people recommended it to me to use on classics. Well, I had 40 years of gunk come off in a matter of a few minutes and not 1 issue with fading, electrical, or any other issues that some above say "might" happen. It's been proven time and again that it works and is gentle (if not more gentile than automotive products). I went with lemon scent for that fresh lemony smell. Now my wife was a little concerned with the amount of Scrubbing Bubbles I was buying. She was thinking I was going to clean a lot of toilets. Had to explain it was for the engine bay on the cars. Any event, always have a couple cans on hand.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Scrubbing Bubbles, don't mess around and don't worry Used it on everything from classic Corvettes to my Cayenne. I was skeptical at first... Any event, always have a couple cans on hand.
I have never heard of this. I'll give it a whirl on our SS. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

You may be surprised to heart that most intakes and electrical are very well insulated against splashing water, just not spraying water. I use a lambswool mitt and running hose water and avoid any obvious areas (battery terminal covers, electrical box etc.) on my previous cars, including Ferrari, Porsche and BMW and never had a problem. Can't stand a dirty engine. Mechanic once commented he liked working on my car as it's alway clean. I would never use any chemicals as they "may" stain the plastic.

Quick Reply: Washing engine bay