Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advice on my build? (Weirdest build my dealer has seen)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 AM
ks_1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my build? (Weirdest build my dealer has seen)

So apparently this is the weirdest build my sales guy has ever seen: http://www.porsche-code.com/PL1C4BP6

My requirements:
  • Luxury brand
  • No compromise in comfort and technology: Which is why I have chosen the base model and decked it up on features.
  • Occasional long drives (500-1000 kms)
  • 20-30% off-road usage (mountain trails, beaches, deserts): Reason for the off-road package + PASM, and smaller alloys
  • Long-term reliability (9-10 years)

What would you change in my build considering the above? Do you think the PDCC and Rear Axle Steering are worth having, or should I save some bucks there?

Just for some context, I only arrived at the Porsche brand because of the lack of convincing options from any other brand with respect to my requirements. I'm the kind of guy who does not buy a product till it satisfies me completely, and once it does, I don't replace it till it becomes absolutely unusable. I also look only at what satisfies my needs and am not fixated on the budget. The main alternatives I have been considering are:
  • Range Rover (Evoque, Velar)
    • The main issue is that the "Touch Pro Duo" screens are horribly laggy
    • The brand also has had problems with reliability
  • Audi (SQ5, Q7, Q8)
    • Dealers in my area are not good: they don't have many models on display nor do they take custom configurations
    • Lack of off-road modes turns me off

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Not that odd of a config other than it's a fairly loaded base. Maybe he's saying it's odd because for a few thousand more you can get an S? Me personally I'd prob. skip the rear steering. You want to keep it 9-10 years, I'd imagine something there will break out of warranty and cost who knows how much to fix.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 PM
mglane83
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Echoing raydog9379, I would certainly cross reference your "must have's" against the standard features of each trim level. I ended up getting a shorter total option list on my S because a lot of the features that I wanted were standard with it or conveniently bundled at a model specific price point. Put another way, to equip a Base with the exact same features that my S has, the price points were close enough that it was a negligible jump to the more powerful model. That being said, if you do not care about the extra power of the S (I definitely did), then it sounds like you already have you answer; you've built exactly what you want. Also I am saying this based on my US$ market experience, and this information may be completely different for your market.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM
ks_1
3rd Gear

Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys..

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Not that odd of a config other than it's a fairly loaded base. Maybe he's saying it's odd because for a few thousand more you can get an S? Me personally I'd prob. skip the rear steering. You want to keep it 9-10 years, I'd imagine something there will break out of warranty and cost who knows how much to fix.
They give 9 year extended warranty here, so I'm not really worried. Will I notice these features in my day-to-day usage of the car?

Originally Posted by mglane83
Echoing raydog9379, I would certainly cross reference your "must have's" against the standard features of each trim level. I ended up getting a shorter total option list on my S because a lot of the features that I wanted were standard with it or conveniently bundled at a model specific price point. Put another way, to equip a Base with the exact same features that my S has, the price points were close enough that it was a negligible jump to the more powerful model. That being said, if you do not care about the extra power of the S (I definitely did), then it sounds like you already have you answer; you've built exactly what you want. Also I am saying this based on my US$ market experience, and this information may be completely different for your market.
I don't care about the extra power actually. But I looked into your suggestion and tried configuring an S model. It turns out that most of the features I want are not included as standard and the price jump comes out to be significant (for me).
Old 05-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I think your build options are perfectly reasonable. I might pass on rear wheel steering unless you do a lot of tight, city type driving. Have you thought about the thermal/noise insulated glass? If you reside in a warm, sunny climate, this might be worth it.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 AM
808MGuy
Track Day

The only thing I would worry about is the air suspension and its durability in actual off road use. If you are off road that much and depending on what type of off roading you are doing, that type of abuse might cause prematuure failure of the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Advice on my build? (Weirdest build my dealer has seen)