Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PPF & Ceramic Coating, protection or a myth ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Vishal S
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PPF & Ceramic Coating, protection or a myth ?

It has to happen someday mine came early, 2nd wash of the black beauty at a Luxury Spa, all shine & sparkles and suddenly a white mark caught my attention, background music stopped, I touched it and damm it's a paint chip on the rear door, broke my heart completely, another rub mark on fender (possibly from the whole foods cart, as it was thin and straight on the edge) did the job of sprinkles.

Owning black cars since 2011 I was never in favour of any cosmetics as a stone can easily chip off the film as well and a ceramic coat cannot protect a scuff mark or a stone chip, both are good just to keep the swirls away which can easily be avoided by doing a quick carnauba job after alternate wash.

However, I have experienced strong inclination of Porsche owners towards PPF, some extreme ones also get a Ceramic coat on top of a PPF, knowing that it's a self-healing tape.

So though to check with some of the best detailers in NJ, https://www.instagram.com/detailersdomain/ and https://www.instagram.com/eurotechms/ both have big names.

Xpel Ultimate PPF for nose costs around $ 2200 ($ 1500 without hood) prices are very competitive at both places. Coat of Medesta or XPEL ceramic costs between $2200 to $2500.

Is it really worth the price? If all it protects is swirl marks and bug splats then why not get a 3m paint protection/correction (rubbing > polish > wax > sealant) once a year, maybe cost between $200 to $300 and that's what I have always opted for in past.

Appreciate your time and suggestions Gentlemen.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,214 Posts

PPF and ceramic coating are absolute must-haves for this caliber of car. I have been using both XPEL and Suntek on all my cars for the last 5 years and they have saved my paint on countless occasions. Of course PPF cannot stop all debris, but it does prevent 95%+ of items on the road that can harm your paint.

Regarding ceramic coating on top of PPF, I'd also advise this. BUT, make sure the ceramic coating is specific to PPF applications. I really like Feynlab coating for PPF applications. Most ceramic coatings are not designed to be applied to PPF. So make sure your applicator/installer knows what they're doing.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Tsd79
Track Day

Received 45 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest getting it done. I have a black cayenne also, first I said I would never own a black car again and after a week I could see swirls in the paint and drives me nuts. I put the xpel stealth on the whole car, I love the look and its something you do not see every day and makes it easy to clean. I did the ceramic myself on top no issue at all. The vehicle stays pretty clean. I have clear xpel on my 718 just front clip and rockers, also put ceramic on it. You can see where the film has saved the car, its worth it 100% its cheaper then a paint job and if you can afford a Porsche you can afford the PPF. Here is the link for cayenne.
View this post on Instagram
Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Vishal S
Advanced

@Tsd79 The car look exceptionally beautiful and unique, haven't seen one like this on road yet, Thanks for the advice will definitely consider getting it.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I know it's the Cayenne forum, but I'll share.

I had a 2015 Cayman GTS without PPF. The car was paint corrected and maintained extremely well. Paint swirls weren't a concern as I can manage that through proper detailing. The car had around 15k miles on it when traded. There were several rock chips on the front and wear around the side intakes.

I purchased the GT4 and had every intention of doing PPF, but found one with PPF already installed. The front end, a-pillars, door handles, mirrors, rockers, and rear quarter panels around the intakes were all PPF'd by the previous owner. Supposedly the car was also ceramic coated. However, the dealership managed to swirl the paint prior to delivery. So I decided to have it corrected and applied GTechniq over the entire car and the PPF.

We have a 718 that is ceramic coated with no PPF. It shows considerable wear in the same areas as my 2015 while the GT4 shows none.

We have a 2017 Macan. It has very few chips, etc.... Due to ride height. But does have a few chips.

All vehicles are black.

PPF is a must to protect against chips. It does an excellent job preserving the paint. You can wax over it or have a nano coating applied over it with no issue. Installed correctly and you will barely notice it is there.

Ceramic coating is not something I consider for real protection. It does add a microscopic hardened layer that helps with swirls, but the paint will still chip and scratch. What I do love about it is the ability to wash the car much more easily. It makes regular maintenance a simple process. That said, some coatings like CS2 Titanium claim to be self healing as well. And that's what I have on the 718. I wanted to try to see how it differed from GTechniq.

If it's a choice between them, PPF is the better option in my mind. It does a great job truly protecting the paint from impact. And if it gets damaged can be removed and reapplied.
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (07-28-2020)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The ceramic coating is only going to help with keeping your car clean and easier to clean. I had my 911tt done 7-8 year ago. It still stay cleaner and is easier to clean. It has help ZERO with rock chips.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Vishal S
Advanced

@function12 Totally agree with you, maybe because of it's slippery texture, in contrast the PPF texture felt a little more sticky/dust attractive to me perhaps the reason being people choose ceramic coating on top of PPF.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Vishal S
Advanced

Hey @iammacey Thanks for the detailed insight, I guess I gonna get a PPF for the nose, Xpel ultimate plus one.
Applying ceramic coating by myself is an option but I just feel it's lot of work with paint correction and chips and swirls removal.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

As another anecdote in favor of PPF - my Cayenne has the 3M wrap on the nose and other key areas... I was following behind a truck and a bunch of debris came off it and hit my car. It shattered one of my daytime running lights, cracked a headlight, cracked my windshield, chipped my pano roof and dented in my hood. So a pretty bad encounter overall... Despite that - no paint chips from that encounter. There were a couple spots where the PPF was slightly damaged, and even the spot where the hood was dented in from the impact - the paint was undamaged and the dent was simply popped out from behind.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Vishal S
Advanced

Hello @NelaK wow that was quite brutal one, sorry to hear that, I have been in a similar situation where the debri cracked by Q7 Windscreen, made several deep dings on the hood. Thanks for the advice, I decided to go with XPEL ultimate Plus for the nose.

Originally Posted by NelaK
As another anecdote in favor of PPF - my Cayenne has the 3M wrap on the nose and other key areas... I was following behind a truck and a bunch of debris came off it and hit my car. It shattered one of my daytime running lights, cracked a headlight, cracked my windshield, chipped my pano roof and dented in my hood. So a pretty bad encounter overall... Despite that - no paint chips from that encounter. There were a couple spots where the PPF was slightly damaged, and even the spot where the hood was dented in from the impact - the paint was undamaged and the dent was simply popped out from behind.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Expel paint protection film applied to the full front and bumper of my metallic black cayenne turbo.

Now I am looking to apply a ceramic coating only to help with keeping it clean and shiny. Planning on keeping car 10 years as long as it doesn't give me trouble during the warranty period.

Anyone have experience with Ceramic Pro brand? Trying to decide between Silver & Gold Packages:

Gold Package: Lifetime Warranty
  • 1 layer of Nano Primer
  • 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H coating
  • 1 layer of Ceramic Pro Light topcoat
  • 1 application of Ceramic Pro Rain window treatment
  • 1 application of Ceramic Pro Wheel treatment on wheel faces, exhaust tips
Silver Package: 5 Year Warranty
  • 1 layer of Nano Primer
  • 1 layer of Ceramic Pro 9H coating
Also should I get wheels and calipers coated (front & back)?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:45 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2p
I have had Expel paint protection film applied to the full front and bumper of my metallic black cayenne turbo.

Now I am looking to apply a ceramic coating only to help with keeping it clean and shiny. Planning on keeping car 10 years as long as it doesn't give me trouble during the warranty period.

Anyone have experience with Ceramic Pro brand? Trying to decide between Silver & Gold Packages:

Gold Package: Lifetime Warranty
  • 1 layer of Nano Primer
  • 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H coating
Silver Package: 5 Year Warranty
  • 1 layer of Nano Primer
  • 1 layer of Ceramic Pro 9H coating
Also should I get wheels and calipers coated (front & back)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

What did you end up doing? Are you happy with it?
Old 04-17-2022, 10:56 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

I have PPF on both of the GTSs. The Cayenne has 71k miles with about 70% hiway as we drive to Florida and AZ for the winter months. The PPF has performed extremely well but is starting to show wear from the travels. The windshield is heavily pitted. Running 90+ across Texas is tough on the exterior. Without the PPF there would be severe damage on the front. I won’t have a vehicle without PPF but it isn’t perfect as it will show wear over time. As far as ceramic I haven’t used it as I’m still old school and like to polish and wax myself. I am considering ceramic on the new GTS as with the travels we do it would be easier to maintain. My concern with ceramic is being able to fix chips where there isn’t PPF like on the doors. It’s impossible to prevent chips without wrapping the entire vehicle.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:16 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

2020 Cayenne Turbo Carrara white, Xpel Ultimate PPF on all painted surfaces, and ceramic coating on top of the PPF, Ceramic on all wheels/rims, brake calipers trim, windows, all leather, and carpeting ... = near a maintenance-free life. When I fill up the tank I get a touch-less wash and looks like I spent hours cleaning it myself. Winter salt, grime, bird droppings, and environmental fallout doesn't stick to it. brake dust doesn't stick to wheels or calipers ... the Best investment you could do for your car.

Once a year bring it to the detailer and have them do a " Ceramic Maintenance cleaning " and good to go
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: PPF & Ceramic Coating, protection or a myth ?