Sponsored By:

To Cayenne or not to Cayenne??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Greenwillie
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default To Cayenne or not to Cayenne??

Hello, I haven't owned a Porsche for several years and have been lurking this forum for several months since ordering a Cayenne S. I love the way it drives and almost purchased a Cayenne GTS several years ago when my CLS 63 was delayed. After watching this forum all I notice is problem after problem with the new Cayenne so the question is... Knowing what you know now, would you still purchase your Cayenne? Any potential buyers been scared off? Thank you guys for sharing your experiences, at this point I still plan on taking delivery early June.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I am only 4 days in on my cayenne turbo. but it is the best driving, best riding suv I have ever driven. The small things (AC not blowing as hard as I would like) are bothersome, but I have had the same issues (or worse) in Mercedes SUV's and range rovers.

I would buy this same cayenne again for sure.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenwillie
Hello, I haven't owned a Porsche for several years and have been lurking this forum for several months since ordering a Cayenne S. I love the way it drives and almost purchased a Cayenne GTS several years ago when my CLS 63 was delayed. After watching this forum all I notice is problem after problem with the new Cayenne so the question is... Knowing what you know now, would you still purchase your Cayenne? Any potential buyers been scared off? Thank you guys for sharing your experiences, at this point I still plan on taking delivery early June.
You may be ok. Seems like currently produced models do not have as many issues. After reading the forum, I went over mine with a probe to measure gaps (took like 2 minutes, so not crazy), and all are fine (even and symmetrical). Also, all seals installed fine too. None of the issues mentioned here or heard about from friends. No electronics glitches so far but it's been just two weeks, so we'll see on that. Materials are better than previous gen, in my opinion. I've noticed some very minor unevenness in stitching that my 911 does not have, but that is a more expensive car with less than 1/4 of stitching this one has. And it's still nicer than in my friend's GLS 63. I'm really liking it so far. Even the Pirelli summer tires it came with are NOT the same crappy OEM pirellis that are mounted on 911s - much less noise.

I will write a more detailed review when I put more miles on it, but I could not find any immediately visible defects.

Of course, Porsche are still a-holes for not giving us trailer assist, the newer parking assist with curb warning, self-parking features, fully functional matrix headlights, and innodrive (not available in Canada) in the first model year. But if you do not need any of that, it's not a problem. I'd love all curb warning, full matrix headlight functionality (especially since hardware is there anyway) and trailer assist.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 AM
Asi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Cayenne S and after 3000km, I have not had any issues that would cause me not to purchase this again. Unfortunately, as is often the case, most people tend to go to forums and post when there is an issue and so it may seem like a lot but you aren’t seeing the thousands of buyers that are very happy with their purchase!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM
azra
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned mine now for around 5 months, even with some issues I have faced, I would still purchase the same cayenne again.
the build quality and overall feeling inside the car is amazing, power and handling too even though I have the base with regular springs, these are my priorities and if it's the same with you then you couldn't go wrong.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

5 months and 6,500 miles with no issues on my base. Absolutely love the car.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:06 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I am only 4 days in on my cayenne turbo. but it is the best driving, best riding suv I have ever driven. The small things (AC not blowing as hard as I would like) are bothersome, but I have had the same issues (or worse) in Mercedes SUV's and range rovers.

I would buy this same cayenne again for sure.
did you try going in the setup and adjusting the fan options? It might be set to comfort settings
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fester
did you try going in the setup and adjusting the fan options? It might be set to comfort settings
I did, and that helped. But, it still just doesnt blow as hard and cold as I would like. It isnt big deal. I think it will cool the car, but in the dead of summer, i suspect it will struggle. I cannot feel the cooled seats working at all. But, regardless, I still love it. Ive never had really good cooled seats in any car/suv thus far. They all just work so so, far. Strangley my ford f250 cooled seats work better than anything I have had.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I did, and that helped. But, it still just doesnt blow as hard and cold as I would like. It isnt big deal. I think it will cool the car, but in the dead of summer, i suspect it will struggle. I cannot feel the cooled seats working at all. But, regardless, I still love it. Ive never had really good cooled seats in any car/suv thus far. They all just work so so, far. Strangley my ford f250 cooled seats work better than anything I have had.
In my 718 Boxster the center vents blow very cold air as hard as I could possibly want and the seat ventilation is quite strong as well. Go figure.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's funny but I kinda felt the same way as Greenvillie! My S is on order and am tempted to go back and drive the Cayenne with the air on when it's hot and see how it works! Concerned after reading about PSCB and all the issues also! Guess those things happen and sitting here and reading all this kinda gets you thinking did I make the right decision? Greemvillie when did you order your S and which options did you opt for?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm ordering a Cayenne coupe and also am concerned about the problems owners have written about here. t I am going ahead with my purchase because I realize that people having problems are far more likely to write about them and ask for help than those without problems are to post that all is fine. Overall, the number or problems reported here is not surprisingly large. Porsche is a premium priced product (extremely so) and cannot remain so unless it maintains a strong reputation. I'm confident if there are problems they will be and are moving quickly to rectify them as they identify them. I have not had a single problem with my 718 Boxster.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded a 2014 CTT for a 2017 Macan GTS as I had an Lexus LX. The CTT was an awesome vehicle with a few issues but nothing that scared me from the brand. I have a new Cayenne on order to replace the LX and Macan. I think the Cayenne is a great vehicle and I guess it comes down to the plan for use.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

We've had ours for Turbo for five months and 3500 miles. Only minor electronic and build-quality issues so far. It's quickly become my wife's favorite car of all time. She loves it.

I dislike the fact that every time I get in the car, I wonder if it's gonna start -- and worrying about my wife getting stranded. But that's on me. The fact is, the car hasn't failed us, and the number of folks here who've reported that (admittedly VERY serious) problem is small. As with anything on the Internet, you'll see the worst of the worst reported first.

Great, great car to this point.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Greenwillie
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry if this ends up a double post. I'ts funny, I switch between wanting to cancel my order because of the posted issues and beating myself up for not ordering a turbo. I guess I'm in my sweet spot with the Cayenne S. My build: ordered 2/13, planned delivery 6/14. Quartzite grey, black leather, sport exhaust, Adaptive air suspension with PASM, Heated steering wheel,21 Spyder wheels, chrono, park assist, heads up , Premium Plus,window trim in black. I'm super excited as I haven't had a Porsche in several years, this is also my first SUV. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

I owe my Cayenne (and porsche in general!) an apology. I found that the lack of air flow on my AC was user error after all. I turned off the top vents on the dash (after finally seeking that the icon was slightly highlighted on screen, which meant those vents were on). I opened all the vents that blow directly at the driver and passenger in the center and made sure the "comfort" setting was on "strong." Turn the AC down to low or 60 degrees, turn the fan all the way up, and it now it blows really hard, blows really cold and very little noise even on the highest fan setting. I think if the top vents are on (which do not need to be on for trying to cool the cabin), it takes quite a bit of blower power away. And if the comfort setting is on low or medium - whatever its labeled- that really makes for a weak air stream no matter how high you turn the fan up.

After all of that, I have figured out I was the problem and not my cayenne. I think this car is so tech advanced that even the AC system is a bit to layered...it just takes a bit of time to sort through it...

So, the only issue I have now is the cooled seats not blowing much. Thats no big deal, especially if the AC blows cold and hard.

I think Porsche hit a homerun with this Cayenne. Fingers crossed the folks that are having serious issues get them worked out asap and that few other problems arise.

Quick Reply: To Cayenne or not to Cayenne??