Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why All The Hate For The New Cayenne Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM
aab
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Why All The Hate For The New Cayenne Coupe?

The media for the most part seems very negative of the new Cayenne Coupe? Reminds me of some of the vitriol when the Cayenne was first introduced. What is the reason for this overall negative press? The coupe likes like a nice alternative to those who don't need all the space of the Cayenne but want some of the key aspects of the Cayenne but in a physically smaller environment and a slightly different silhouette. Aesthetics are personal taste. Look at all the different variants of the 911. Why so much negativity? Seems a bit closed minded to me.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aab
The media for the most part seems very negative of the new Cayenne Coupe? Reminds me of some of the vitriol when the Cayenne was first introduced. What is the reason for this overall negative press? The coupe likes like a nice alternative to those who don't need all the space of the Cayenne but want some of the key aspects of the Cayenne but in a physically smaller environment and a slightly different silhouette. Aesthetics are personal taste. Look at all the different variants of the 911. Why so much negativity? Seems a bit closed minded to me.
I have no idea why but don't care anyway. I'm ordering one.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM
Josh s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Urus and this is the closest thing to style and performance for $150K loaded on a Cayenne Turbo. I've already ordered one and it will be here in Q4. I'm coming from a '17 911 4S.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by beefchopper
I have no idea why but don't care anyway. I'm ordering one.
Originally Posted by Josh s
I love the Urus and this is the closest thing to style and performance for $150K loaded on a Cayenne Turbo. I've already ordered one and it will be here in Q4. I'm coming from a '17 911 4S.
Amen
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh s
+1 the Urus is very very nice
Old 04-17-2019, 01:09 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
+1 the Urus is very very nice
And $100k+ more than a loaded Cayenne turbo
Old 04-19-2019, 12:52 PM
aab
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I made the "mistake" of driving the Lambo Urus. Dang I think Im in trouble...its absolutely fantastic. Its a Lambo after all...the price difference for me is not an issue. Please convince me otherwise!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by aab
I made the "mistake" of driving the Lambo Urus. Dang I think Im in trouble...its absolutely fantastic. Its a Lambo after all...the price difference for me is not an issue. Please convince me otherwise!!
I would have considered it with a true Lambo aspirated V10 engine.

Last edited by Galion; 04-19-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Answering the original question, it's mostly "guilty by association" hate, because all other SUV-based coupes are pretty terrible. Most of SUV-based "coupe" versions look worse than their SUV counterparts and compromise headroom and luggage space way too much. So you end up with something that's first sacrificed sportiness for utility (because it's SUV) but then sacrificed utility for looks and sportiness, except without actually achieving better looks or more sportiness. So it goes full circle and sacrifices everything for nothing.

I do not think this "coupe" is guilty of that, though - it still keeps most of the utility, and actually looks better than regular Cayenne. So I think it's a valid variant. I do not want one because I need all the trunk space I can get and I need flat roof for roof box, but I see coupe as a valid choice for someone who has no such requirements.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Niclas S
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it 100% certain that you can't mount a roof box on the cayene coupe?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Equipped the same, why is the coupe more expensive than the regular Cayenne? Comparing my base configuration with the same equipment on the coupe, the coupe is $4640 more. Does it cost more because fewer will be made? Because they can and we will pay?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by porscherex
Equipped the same, why is the coupe more expensive than the regular Cayenne? Comparing my base configuration with the same equipment on the coupe, the coupe is $4640 more. Does it cost more because fewer will be made? Because they can and we will pay?
Because they can. Why does Porsche charge $400 to select the window trim in black in the Cayenne models that have silver trim as standard and $270 to change the trim to silver in the ones that have black as standard? Same reason.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by aab

I made the same mistake...and now I have the demo car I drove and an order for a 2020...seriously, there is NO better daily driver on the planet. The tech, of ALL things however...is the single most impressive part. It works...quite simply. No BS, no load time, no glitches...it just performs. The dynamics of the car are sensational, with an AS TESTED 0-60 of 2.9 seconds and 1.02 G on skidpad, which if you guys look at, is pretty much Porsche Turbo territory...and coincidentally, I sold BOTH my Turbo S cab and my Rover Supercharged...both 2019. So yeah, DON'T drive one if you want to avoid the same fate...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
It for sure demonstrates that - haters notwithstanding - there are enough people who are actually in the market who prefer the style of the coupe SUVs to the SUVs themselves, and are wiling to pay for it. The BMW X4 costs more than the X3, the X6 more than the X5. Same in Mercedes land with its C and E class coupe SUVs vs the SUVs themselves. None of those have any trouble selling. I'm sure Porsche looked at that, rubbed their hands together in glee, made the evil mad scientist laugh, and went straight to the drawing board to round off the roof and raise the prices by $5k
Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by pokingaround
It for sure demonstrates that - haters notwithstanding - there are enough people who are actually in the market who prefer the style of the coupe SUVs to the SUVs themselves, and are wiling to pay for it.
I'm guilty as charged.

Quick Reply: Why All The Hate For The New Cayenne Coupe?