Default 2022 Cayenne S Austin TX

The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-18-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:16 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
Jeffery, you just admitted you can't see so well at night. I'm not sure why you're blaming the tint being the issue. Do you have trouble seeing out the windshield at night staring into oncoming cars?
NO, I didn't.. What I can't see well is traffic thru blackened windows.. That's why they're unlawful in AZ...because they're unsafe.. QUIT, pls!
Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Behr
NO, I didn't.. What I can't see well is traffic thru blackened windows.. That's why they're unlawful in AZ...because they're unsafe.. QUIT, pls!
Jeffy, So now you can't see through them at all? Before it was just at night. You're confusing everyone. You're admitting to committing a crime in your eyes? You listening to some Future behind that tint?
Tint doesn't have that kinda effect during the day, nor should it at night if your eyes good. Tint is not illegal in AZ. You can have 33% give or take 3% on the front and rear can be as dark as you want. Judging from the pics you have around 20% because it looks like it was tinted to match the factory back. 20% on the front two windows without the windshield being tinted isn't actually 20% because of the light that is being emitted from the un tinted windshield. It's more prob more around 25% which is basically 30%. With cars headlights now a days, and street lights. You really really shouldn't be having an issue driving with this level of tint day or night.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AustinJim

Stunning! How do you like the S?
Old 05-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,428 Posts

. . . . I HATE the way-too-dark window tinting on driver, passenger, and rear windows and probably will get it removed and redone to Arizona-legal. . .
I had the same problem. I had to roll down my windows at night to see oncoming traffic or see storefront signs. I posted my disparaging comments about it on a thermal glass thread and found that the factory tint shouldn’t be that dark. Sure enough, it was an aftermarket tint that blocked 95% (!) of all light. I had it removed and now I can see again.

Originally Posted by Schnave
UPDATE: I had my Cayenne inspected for a state safety sticker this morning. The guy said that I definitely had a window tint and it was way too dark to be legal in Virginia. Maximum allowable is 50% visible light transmittance. My window only allowed 5% of the light through. No wonder I couldn’t see at night!

I went to a window tint shop and they were nice enough to immediately remove the tint on both front windows for just $30 - all in just an hour.

Wow, what a difference! I take back all those things I said about the thermal glass being too dark.

Shout out to Ray for his advice in previous posts. Thanks Ray!

The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-09-2023)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem. I had to roll down my windows at night to see oncoming traffic or see storefront signs. I posted my disparaging comments about it on a thermal glass thread and found that the factory tint shouldn’t be that dark. Sure enough, it was an aftermarket tint that blocked 95% (!) of all light. I had it removed and now I can see again.
TYVM Schnave! Finally someone who's NOT a smartass replies! Maybe I'll get to my window-tint place this afternoon to see if he can remove the film that's annoying the hell out of me.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:47 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

50% is basically clear. 5% is very dark and it depends if you like it or not. But depending on the color of your eyes it shouldn't be such an issue. I've had dark tint on every car i've ever owned since I I had my permit. I even had my windshield tinted on my one car. Never once had an issue seeing at night.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

TYVM Schnave! Finally someone who's NOT a smartass replies! Maybe I'll get to my window-tint place this afternoon to see if he can remove the film that's annoying the hell out of me.
You took my replies personal when I was just matching your energy. Your Cayenne is beautiful, I love the tint. I think it adds to it, it makes it look more aggressive. I would think you would want the heat rejection living in AZ.

What color are you eyes Jeffy? I think this may come down to eye color. Now you see I have Baby Blue eyes that people get lost in. However the price I pay to have these beauties is a light sensitivity. People with lighter color eyes can see better in the dark then people with darker color eyes. Where people with darker color eyes have an easier time seeing during the day. I've always had dark tint on my cars, and never once found it hard to see out of when driving at night. I even have a note from the doctor to have "extremely dark windows"
Old 05-05-2022, 07:31 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

You took my replies personal when I was just matching your energy. Your Cayenne is beautiful, I love the tint. I think it adds to it, it makes it look more aggressive. I would think you would want the heat rejection living in AZ.

What color are you eyes Jeffy? I think this may come down to eye color. Now you see I have Baby Blue eyes that people get lost in. However the price I pay to have these beauties is a light sensitivity. People with lighter color eyes can see better in the dark then people with darker color eyes. Where people with darker color eyes have an easier time seeing during the day. I've always had dark tint on my cars, and never once found it hard to see out of when driving at night. I even have a note from the doctor to have "extremely dark windows"
Dark brown.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:03 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Man you really want to flirt & toy with Mr Behr....

For what it's worth I love aftermarket tint, but only certain ceramic ones and no darker than 70%....anything darker and I'm with Schave/Jeffrey - hate it
Old 05-05-2022, 11:59 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Man you really want to flirt & toy with Mr Behr....

For what it's worth I love aftermarket tint, but only certain ceramic ones and no darker than 70%....anything darker and I'm with Schave/Jeffrey - hate it
He's not my type... I was just explaining how eye color can have a difference.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dark brown.
Ahh see now We've gotten to the bottom of your tint issue with this. Now let me ask you this, if you didn't have an issue seeing out of it, would you keep it?
Old 05-06-2022, 12:51 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

Ahh see now We've gotten to the bottom of your tint issue with this. Now let me ask you this, if you didn't have an issue seeing out of it, would you keep it?
Yes, I'll keep it until my carefully-spec'd '23 Cayenne Turbo...

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=ppqlgih1

...arrives.. And the '19 will be at the window-tinting shop tomorrow morn., where all four door windows will be scraped to the glass and then covered with AZ-legal gray tint and the rear window just scraped bare.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:28 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'll keep it until my carefully-spec'd '23 Cayenne Turbo...

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=ppqlgih1

...arrives.. And the '19 will be at the window-tinting shop tomorrow morn., where all four door windows will be scraped to the glass and then covered with AZ-legal gray tint and the rear window just scraped bare.
The rear window comes tinted from the factory, It's in the glass you can't un tint it...
Old 05-06-2022, 09:25 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

The rear window comes tinted from the factory, It's in the glass you can't un tint it...
Well, Shuga, yes and no.. The liftgate-window and rear-doors' windows are indeed 'smoked', the rear doors more than the liftgate; I think they call that something like 'privacy glass'.. All 3 of those already-rather-dark glasses had TWO layers of film on them, making them near black. We didn't measure it, but I'd guess they were transmitting only 5 - 10% of the light.. Here's a pic of the three removed films showing their layers.

That on the left was on the liftgate window while the center and far-right-hand ones were on the door windows.. 'Tis no wonder to me that I couldn't see thru them.. Here are views thru the door and liftgate films-or-not.. The frontdoor window is filmed with a 35%, AZ-legal, 'ceramic' film by SunTek; the rear door is just smoked..

Here's what the liftgate's original 'smoke' looks like; that's plenty dark for me.. 😁

Last edited by Jeffrey Behr; 05-26-2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added a pic.

Quick Reply: Picture Gallery