Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bonding to Charging Post Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 PM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bonding to Charging Post Assembly?

Please move this to a technical forum if it starts getting too... technical.

If anybody has already tried this, I'd appreciate some input.

I wanted to permanently install a CTEK comfort plug (w/ rings) onto the a 2019 Cayenne. The charging post assembly has two extra posts marked B and C that seem to be free to use except they are not bonded to the metal plate that is energized by the battery system. If there was a way to bond posts B and C to the plate, this would seem to be the ideal place for any large electrical equipment that requires CONST power, like a giant sound system or police lights. I'm guessing a high amp MIDI fuse would be able to span the void and reach the post. I'll have to take a caliper and find the distance on the neighboring 70A fuse.

On the other hand, grounding will be easy.The Negative post can be removed with a 17mm socket. The ring attachment would need to be modified though, as the post is much thicker than the ring that comes with the CTEK kit.

The electrical system seems to have way more space available than the features on this car. There is a double fuse box holder in front of the charging post assembly but there is only one fuse box hanging from it. Maybe it's a common part shared with the hybrid that has more electrical wires?

2019 Cayenne, Charging Point Assembly

*Update* The span between the rivet and post is 31mm center-to-center and the width between the plastic divider is 15mm. I can probably tap a thread in the plate at 30.1mm for a Midi fuse.

Last edited by celiawessen; 03-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:16 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Did you read the battery sticky thread above? Will the Ctek charge LiFePO4? 2019 Cayennes have lithium batteries and cannot use the regular Ctek chargers used in previous generation Cayennes. If its the right Ctek charger it should be ok. Is the intention to charge the battery?
Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 PM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Did you read the battery sticky thread above? Will the Ctek charge LiFePO4? 2019 Cayennes have lithium batteries and cannot use the regular Ctek chargers used in previous generation Cayennes. If its the right Ctek charger it should be ok. Is the intention to charge the battery?
Yes, the intention is to use the CTEK Lithium charger on the Cayenne. I already have one.

Quick Reply: Bonding to Charging Post Assembly?