Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dangerous? Auto Engine Stop engages too early when decelerating

Old 03-16-2019, 05:35 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Auto Start/Stop is a fuel efficiency/emissions thing that's necessary to meet the ratings and required standards. There's no possibility that Porsche will provide a way to permanently override it after diesel-gate.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:02 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Auto Start/Stop is a fuel efficiency/emissions thing that's necessary to meet the ratings and required standards. There's no possibility that Porsche will provide a way to permanently override it after diesel-gate.
I don't believe that's true. If Porsche goes electric like they plan to, the emissions levels won't be a problem.
Volvo has just reversed course (from MY2018 to MY2019) and made it possible to again permanently disable auto-start/stop.
Porsche may not follow Volvo, but I'm not convinced that they won't, given how much Porsche owners openly hate it.
Volvo stated that they reversed because they heard so many owner gripes about not being able to permanently disable auto-start/stop.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:15 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

I do not understand why engine stopping would impact steering or brakes. Steering is fully electric, so it should run fine until the battery runs flat, and brake boost is good for several stops after engine is shut off in any car by design.

But engine shutting off while car is moving happens on almost all new models across most manufacturers.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:24 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Confirmed that the individual settling can turn off the auto start/stop.
On the 958 It can be deactivated via a switch. Every time the vehicle is restarted the auto start/stop is active. It doesn't remember the setting when the car is turned off. T-design, https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html, has a device that can be installed that will remember the settings on a 958. I haven't installed so don't have any opinion on how it works.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:48 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

All I’ve read in this thread is true. Easily remedied. We disable it via Individual settings, and have since the first day we took delivery of our Turbo in late December. Tempest in a teapot.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
All I’ve read in this thread is true. Easily remedied. We disable it via Individual settings, and have since the first day we took delivery of our Turbo in late December. Tempest in a teapot.
Sorry I'm not familiar with the Individual Settings, doesn't it have to be selected each time you turn on the car anyway?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:13 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Sorry I'm not familiar with the Individual Settings, doesn't it have to be selected each time you turn on the car anyway?
See photo below of my wife's preferred drive settings -- Normal drive mode for the drivetrain (she doesn't like the thing keeping the revs up constantly in Sport and Sport Plus); Start/Stop disabled; Sport Exhaust active; rear spoiler up; chassis height set to Low; chassis mode set to Sport. All of these are saved via the little IND icon at the top of the screen, circled in yellow.

And yes, you have to activate it each time you get in the car, either by turning the Sport Chrono **** to I, or via the PCM touchscreen. For us, not a big deal. Just another quirk we've gotten used to handling.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've found the auto start/stop less intrusive than my X5M. The only quirk that I have had to learn is that when you switch from forward to reverse quickly, you need to make sure you push the brake pedal fully. Given how much stop and go traffic I find myself in on a daily basis, the auto start stop tends to save me about 1 mpg. Not a big deal either way. So far I haven't found this to be much of a safety issue after 2.5 months of ownership.

My wife hates the auto start stop and has it disabled all the time in her Macan. As JCWLS3 points out, it is pretty easy to program everything you want in one button or turn of the ***. For my X5M, I had to push the M button every time I started the X5M so I am used to one extra step. It's too bad that they don't give everyone the option to turn off like they used to.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I do not understand why engine stopping would impact steering or brakes. Steering is fully electric, so it should run fine until the battery runs flat, and brake boost is good for several stops after engine is shut off in any car by design.

But engine shutting off while car is moving happens on almost all new models across most manufacturers.
I understand your logic, and it should be true as you explain it. But I can tell you, from first hand experience on our Turbo, the steering just about locks up upon engine stop. Not exaggerating.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Auto stop/start steering lockup

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I understand your logic, and it should be true as you explain it. But I can tell you, from first hand experience on our Turbo, the steering just about locks up upon engine stop. Not exaggerating.
I have a base 2019 and I can confirm that the power steering becomes incredibly heavy when auto stop/start activates. I was surprised by this too, thinking the power assist was electric. Because of that, it takes a heck of a yank on the wheel to re-start the engine if you want the car to restart without taking your foot off the brake (or hitting the Sport or Individual switches).
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for the explanation, I've been thinking about getting a Cayenne but I don't like intrusive technologies like the Start/Stop function, I find it unsafe. I'll try to test drive one this week to get a feel.

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
See photo below of my wife's preferred drive settings -- Normal drive mode for the drivetrain (she doesn't like the thing keeping the revs up constantly in Sport and Sport Plus); Start/Stop disabled; Sport Exhaust active; rear spoiler up; chassis height set to Low; chassis mode set to Sport. All of these are saved via the little IND icon at the top of the screen, circled in yellow.

And yes, you have to activate it each time you get in the car, either by turning the Sport Chrono **** to I, or via the PCM touchscreen. For us, not a big deal. Just another quirk we've gotten used to handling.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Thank you for the explanation, I've been thinking about getting a Cayenne but I don't like intrusive technologies like the Start/Stop function, I find it unsafe. I'll try to test drive one this week to get a feel.
Two thoughts in response to your post: (1) Practically every new car these days (gas models) has auto start/stop on one form or another. If you're trying to avoid it, good luck. (2) While I am not a fan of how auto stop/start was implemented on the Cayenne, I was aware of its functionality prior to my purchase (from loaner experiences - this is not my first Porsche) and it didn't stop me from buying the car. I just learned to live with it (I turn it off). The bottom line is the car is incredible - best handling and most fun-to-drive SUV I've ever owned, and passengers report the ride and interior are very comfortable.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LSR
Two thoughts in response to your post: (1) Practically every new car these days (gas models) has auto start/stop on one form or another. If you're trying to avoid it, good luck. (2) While I am not a fan of how auto stop/start was implemented on the Cayenne, I was aware of its functionality prior to my purchase (from loaner experiences - this is not my first Porsche) and it didn't stop me from buying the car. I just learned to live with it (I turn it off). The bottom line is the car is incredible - best handling and most fun-to-drive SUV I've ever owned, and passengers report the ride and interior are very comfortable.
Agreed. Don't let the intrusive and clunky implementation of the auto stop / start system move you away from the new Cayenne. It's at worst a minor annoyance. The car is brilliant!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Wow, that's disturbing. I hope it's something possible to fix with a software update because it does not make sense at all.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Wow, that's disturbing. I hope it's something possible to fix with a software update because it does not make sense at all.
My guess is Porsche will not do a thing about this. This type of behavior has been the norm since the mid-cycle refresh for the 958 (model yrs '16+). I don't usually ever turn the steering wheel before taking my foot off the brakes, which immediately turns on the engine, so it's not so much of a problem for me. What's annoying to me is that the car comes to an abrupt stop instead of smoothly braking to zero as I slowly approach a stop light. You can argue there is a greater chance of getting rear-ended.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dangerous? Auto Engine Stop engages too early when decelerating