Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?

Old 03-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Sheffield1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSCB squeal

I have had my Cayenne for 10 months and in January the brakes started making an awful noise.
It is not brake squeal as it happens on every wheel rotation but stops when the brakes are applied.
Been in to the local dealer and it is a design fault. Germany know about it but will not give dates for a fix.
It is unbearable and dreadful for a car that cost £90k.
Going legal next week if no response.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Sinelnikov (09-12-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
Unfortunately the squeaking sound from the rear brakes (surface coated) on my turbo is back with a vengeance. The dealership says it is known to porsche and they are working on a solution. I will return the car to the dealer tomorrow as it is basically not something i can drive despite 2 trips to the dealer to address the issue. There is a LOUD squeak driving around 25 mph that goes away at faster speeds but likely represents a slight contact with the rotors causing the resonance. I have heard "developing new pads" but the sound is loud enough that everyone turns around to see what is happening even from a distance.

I love everything else about this car but man has this been disappointing.
Originally Posted by Sheffield1
I have had my Cayenne for 10 months and in January the brakes started making an awful noise.
It is not brake squeal as it happens on every wheel rotation but stops when the brakes are applied.
Been in to the local dealer and it is a design fault. Germany know about it but will not give dates for a fix.
It is unbearable and dreadful for a car that cost £90k.
Going legal next week if no response.
Sorry to hear this, I don't blame you guys and wouldn't be very happy nor would I tolerate having to listen to this.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Sinelnikov (09-12-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
psw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2019 Cayenne Turbo with about 5000 miles. Brake noise started at about 3500 miles. Squeal up to about 25 mph. I have tried hard braking no help. Setting up appointment with dealer Will keep you posted
Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 AM
500RJC
Instructor

I forgot about this thread and should have posted this here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tive-role.html
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 AM
psw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psw
2019 Cayenne Turbo with about 5000 miles. Brake noise started at about 3500 miles. Squeal up to about 25 mph. I have tried hard braking no help. Setting up appointment with dealer Will keep you posted
Dealer could not find a problem. Opened a case with Porsche waiting to hear back Porsche has nothing in their bulletins to suggest there is a problem per SA
Old 04-12-2019, 11:42 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by psw
Dealer could not find a problem. Opened a case with Porsche waiting to hear back Porsche has nothing in their bulletins to suggest there is a problem per SA
From what I've been told by my dealer after the customer raises a concern with Porsche, they will clean pads/rotors and the noise will come back, after that apparently P does nothing (NOT GOOD). In addition by P putting a disclaimer in the owners manual saying squealing brakes are normal, appears to be a way P is attempting to cover their ***. This is why I started the thread about Audi, at least they are trying and have already issued 2 TSB's for brake squeal. If P thinks squealing brakes are acceptable, I will not take delivery of the new CY I ordered for my wife. BTW, none of my 911's or 911 turbos ever had squealing brakes and I've owned many of them over the years.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 AM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

I have the front brakes make a creaking sound (like a screw being wrenched) as the car comes to a stop, along with the usual jerkiness while coming to a full stop. Has anyone else also experienced anything like this?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:56 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The brake creaking sound on my wife's new Cayenne is back. It temporarily went away the last time i drove it, but it came back a few days after that. We haven't experienced any jerkiness while coming to a full stop though. It's shame that Porsche thinks it's normal. I am thinking about trading in my 2018 BMW M3 for the next gen. 911 in a couple of years, but it won't happen if Porsche does not fix this issue.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM
Jtjjen
5th Gear

I just finished reading this whole thread and as far as I can tell there is one user with standard brakes (tjbk18) that his wife’s car has the “squeal” but all of the other reported problems are with surface coated breaks. The thread starter (500RJC) has a Cayenne on order and has read about problems elsewhere and started this thread to get feedback from other Cayenne owners about standard breaks. Am I right about this or am I missing something? It sounds like the major issue is with PSCBs.

By the way, I have a new Cayenne S with standard brakes and ~4000 miles with no problems.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtjjen
I just finished reading this whole thread and as far as I can tell there is one user with standard brakes (tjbk18) that his wife’s car has the “squeal” but all of the other reported problems are with surface coated breaks. The thread starter (500RJC) has a Cayenne on order and has read about problems elsewhere and started this thread to get feedback from other Cayenne owners about standard breaks. Am I right about this or am I missing something? It sounds like the major issue is with PSCBs.

By the way, I have a new Cayenne S with standard brakes and ~4000 miles with no problems.
Yes..the topic is "squeal" that is caused by faulty caliper springs that don't allow the brake pads to return back to normal position after the brake pedal is released. To be clear, it is referred to as squeal from PSCB's but it occurs not when the brakes are being used, but rather when they are released. In fact, you can make the sound go away when you depress the brake pedal. Yes...the brakes work well and the lack of brake dust is amazing, but the sound isn't just annoying....it makes driving the car a major pain especially in narrower residential streets as you hear a loud squeak with every wheel rotation.

FYI....I'm told that a fix is in the works and expected within the month, but at this point, PCNA is handling multiple customer complaints on this issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Jtjjen
5th Gear

Thank you - that helps clarify things for me.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Got 200mls on my new Turbo and brakes make no sound and feel the same buttery smooth as on my 911 Turbo S with ceramics. No grabbiness or noise, and the evenness of braking effort and smooth feel are nice benefits over iron brakes, in addition to no dust. Will report if they start making noise but so far only positives.

My previous gen Cayenne Turbo squealed at low-speed braking all the time, by the way, even multiple pad and rotor changes did not fix that. THe only thing that helped temporarily was putting some brake anti-squeal goop on the pads (on the backing plate where they contact pistons and guides, NOT on the friction surfaces that go to the rotor)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

250miles on a cayenne S and no squeal (Knock Wood)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM
500RJC
Instructor

With the squeal manifesting at +/-3000 miles, gives me pause as one will have no idea if it's even an issue until you've already taken delivery/it's too late
Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
With the squeal manifesting at +/-3000 miles, gives me pause as one will have no idea if it's even an issue until you've already taken delivery/it's too late
500RJC, you sure do worry a lot for someone who doesn't even have one yet. You have the upper hand at this point and just tell the dealer you will not take delivery unless you're assured Porsche has resolved the issue with an official TSB. I have a bigger Issue with the auto/start stop and my dealer will have the Porsche regional rep there next week with a Porsche tech to see if he can have the thing programmed to normally be in the off position. I'm waiting an extra week to take delivery of my Cayenne so the rep can be scheduled after Easter weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?