Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM
azra
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Base Cayenne here with base brakes, they do occasionally squeal, not to an insane degree though, never thought of it as an issue tbh.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I don’t buy Porsche’s explanation that it’s normal for the brakes to squeal because if that were true then all, or at least the majority, would squeal. My Cayenne base has 10,000 miles on it and no brake squeal. My wife has 5000 miles on her base and no brake squeal. I have not had any brake squeal on my 2011 TTS with 47,000 miles or past cars, 2009 911 17,000 miles, 1985 928S 58,000 miles, 1983 930 34,000 miles. If it’s normal then why don’t all brakes squeal?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No squealing brakes on my current base, so far, or my previous 2016 base. Knock on cast iron.

If you can't live with the potential noise, you might want to go for another test drive and see if you can notice the sudden lurch forward when braking and whether you can live with that. I typically notice it in the second gear. There is a separate thread on that. Not surprisingly, according to many who have reported this issue to the dealerships, Porsche claims this is - wait for it - normal. Maybe they are working on another YouTube production to address this "non-issue".
Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

No brake squeal from my Cayenne S (so far) with standard iron rotors, but then maybe I can't hear it as I have the thicker window glass. My Macan has rare brake squeal, but usually resolves on its own. Other than the high speed brake stops, another known fix attempt is to blow out the brake pad area with an air compressor. Multiple factors probably play into why some have issues and others don't. There is always going to a compromise between performance and unintended side effects.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:52 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I've got a base car with about 4k miles on its odo, and haven't had any brake squeal at all. I've got nothing but praise for the brakes ... great feel and they know how to stop the car. But from what I've read in this forum, it seems some cars have squeal and others don't. Maybe the brakes are affected by temperature and humidity, and those cars that are squealing are doing so because of the local climate. I live in the Northeast, and maybe my climate here is good for brakes (I note my Carrera S has never squealed, either). I have no idea, but just throw out that possibility.
Originally Posted by redyps
No brake noise at all on my Cayenne S.
Thanks for the replies.
As mentioned the service dept said if they don't squeal when new they most likely won't going forward. Seems to me there should be a fix for those having the issue. In the past on the rare occurrence this happened to me (AMG vehicle) it was promptly handled under warranty with new updated pads and rotors. Porsche needs to make this right and not take the original approach Lexus did with the new LC500 saying it's normal for performance brakes, then after getting hell from owners a year later issued a TSB with new pads which fixed the squealing and significantly reduced dust.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Noise from my new Cayenne S. 800 miles & not a peep. They are difficult to modulate as you get close to stopping.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM
p0pey
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe you guys just need to re-bed the brakes by doing a couple highway braking?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by p0pey
maybe you guys just need to re-bed the brakes by doing a couple highway braking?
You know, there's something to be said about this. I used to do this to my V10 Touareg TDI that would occasionally have squeaky brakes. My vehicles are typically garaged overnight but I have noticed they would have squeaky brakes after leaving it outside overnight and it rained or was real humid. It seems that the colder temperatures would also promote squeaky brakes.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is to follow up with the brake noise on my wife's Cayenne I reported earlier in this thread. I drove the Cayenne today and noticed the brake noise disappeared. I did not attempt the high speed stops mentioned here. I turned off the radio and rolled down the windows to make sure I could here more clearly. The brake squeal was gone.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjbk18
This is to follow up with the brake noise on my wife's Cayenne I reported earlier in this thread. I drove the Cayenne today and noticed the brake noise disappeared. I did not attempt the high speed stops mentioned here. I turned off the radio and rolled down the windows to make sure I could here more clearly. The brake squeal was gone.
Any changes in temp or humidity?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:16 AM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
Any changes in temp or humidity?
It was a little cooler this morning when i drove the car. The temperature was around 57º F comparing to 72º F or so last Saturday. I don't think the small difference in temperature would cause that change.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tjbk18
It was a little cooler this morning when i drove the car. The temperature was around 57º F comparing to 72º F or so last Saturday. I don't think the small difference in temperature would cause that change.
Disagree. Relatively small changes in humidity and temperature can make a big difference in brake squeal.

Again, our PCCBs have been surprisingly silent. But the Brembos in our sport sedan — a similar design to those in the base and S, just more aggressive in execution — vary in noisiness with the weather. Obviously they are not Porsche brakes, but it’s not exactly comparing apples to oranges: fixed multipiston calipers; aggressive pads; cast-iron rotors.

I guess we are more cognizant of the fact that we bought cars with extremely high performance brakes. If we’d bought a Lexus or Audi with squealy brakes, we’d have a diffferent attitude. But we bought a Porsche and an SS. They’re track-ready cars, even if we don’t track them. Caveat emptor.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:16 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

The brake squeal issue is a BIG deal currently on the surface coated brakes. To be clear, the squeal isnt just during braking but when driving at around 25-30mph there's a constant squeal that is beyond abnormal. I took my car in, they adjusted things, the sound went away for a week then came back BIGtime. I have had all variants of gt3's with iron brakes and PCCB's....this is a totally different sound and completely unacceptable. Ive been told they are working on a solution.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:22 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
The brake squeal issue is a BIG deal currently on the surface coated brakes. To be clear, the squeal isnt just during braking but when driving at around 25-30mph there's a constant squeal that is beyond abnormal. I took my car in, they adjusted things, the sound went away for a week then came back BIGtime. I have had all variants of gt3's with iron brakes and PCCB's....this is a totally different sound and completely unacceptable. Ive been told they are working on a solution.
Totally agree with you. I'm only talking about brake squeal when actually braking. Your situation -- noise while just tooling around at low speeds, with no braking applied -- would drive me bonkers.

To be clear: Brakes of any type should NOT make noise when they are not applied. I hope you get a fix soon. I've mentioned before that but for the PSCB shortage, we'd be in the same boat as you. We never intended on upgrading to PCCB. But I'd be lying if I told you as we left the standard Turbo's brakes on our original build sheet that I was not concerned with PSCB being such a new, revolutionary braking technology. I was concerned, exactly for this type of reason.

We are not fans of being the guinea pig. Although we already are in many ways, playing beta-testers for Porsche's "new, revolutionary" LiFePO4 battery technology, and the "new, revolutionary" massively overdesigned PCM system.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately the squeaking sound from the rear brakes (surface coated) on my turbo is back with a vengeance. The dealership says it is known to porsche and they are working on a solution. I will return the car to the dealer tomorrow as it is basically not something i can drive despite 2 trips to the dealer to address the issue. There is a LOUD squeak driving around 25 mph that goes away at faster speeds but likely represents a slight contact with the rotors causing the resonance. I have heard "developing new pads" but the sound is loud enough that everyone turns around to see what is happening even from a distance.

I love everything else about this car but man has this been disappointing.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?