Sponsored By:

Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM
dcbigbaps
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo

Hi everyone. I used to be a member a long while back, but it's been a while since I purchased a Porsche (last was 2013 cayenne GTS, although I'm on the list for the Taycan ). Is this the place we post if we need help to spec a vehicle? I am going to spec a Cayenne Turbo, but I tend to overdo things on the options. If it's okay, I would like to share my thoughts. If this is not the right location, I will post it in the correct area. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:12 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

This is the right place. Welcome back
Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 PM
dcbigbaps
AutoX

Thoughts:
1) I tend to keep my vehicles for about 6-7 years. I am going to purchase the Cayenne Turbo due to the fact that lease rates are a bit crazy.
2) I would go for a GTS model, but I haven't heard of anything coming out anytime soon.
3) I suppose the cayenne coupe is coming, but it seems to be less functional with no real benefit, for likely a higher price?
4) I am looking for a late November allocation - I suspect it will be a 2020 model? Not sure, but any input regarding this would be appreciated.

Model: Cayenne Turbo

Color: Not decided, but possibly carerra white metallic

Interior: Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red

Wheels:
option 1: base wheels
option 2: 21" exclusive design wheels in high gloss black, option
option 3: 22" cayenne sport classic wheels in high gloss black - my problem is I like bigger wheels for the look, but I live in the northeast where winters are an issue and as of right now, there are no all season tires for the 22" and I refuse to change out wheels . In the past, it took one to two full season to get 21" all seasons for my cayenne gts.

Must haves:
-Premium Package Plus +Front massage seats with front ventilation
-Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
-ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View
-Power Rear Sunblinds
-Burmester
-blacked out exterior trim, etc.

-Is heated steering wheel standard?
-Is pano roof standard?

Would really like:
-clear taillights (hard to define value, but may complete my look?)
-add rear ventilation seats (although maybe no point since my kids will still be in car seats)
-Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) - honestly, I would forgo this, but the innodrive isn't much more than ACC on it's own. Plus, only am considering ACC due to the emergency stopping safety feature. This is the wife's car and safety is important to me.
-HUD (but seems super expensive)
-Carbon Fiber Trim and Carbon Fiber illuminated door sill guards (but willing to save money and just do the high gloss black and stick with standard door sill guards (what material are they?)

Any value?:
-soft close doors
-ionizer
-heated windshield (as long as there are no lines running across it)

Thoughts: If I got every options: $157,850 is the sticker, but I am getting a discount for being a repeat customer. I prefer to keep the cost south of 150k. I know it's hard to make recommendations as "value" is a personal decision. But I would appreciate any thoughts on options that might be a waste of money, some that I may be missing and any other considerations.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Fly121
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my turbo.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Hello. I'm a Porsche newbie myself. But my wife and I did take delivery of our 2019 Turbo in December. It's had its share of minor issues, but nothing that precludes us from loving the car. It just hit 2000 miles today as I was driving home from work (it's her car, but I drive it once or twice a week to even out commuting miles). So tomorrow the plan is to let 'er rip. Launch Control, here I come -- I am not kidding!

On to your post. A few observations, maybe helpful, maybe not.

1) We stuck with the "base" 21-inch Turbo-exclusive wheels. It wasn't about money (how stupid would that be in a $150K car?). It was about exclusivity. We decided we wanted our car to be seen as a Turbo at first glance. You can eff that up pretty quickly by adding SportDesign and changing the wheels. We stood pat for that reason, and saved a few bucks in the process. As a bonus, the Turbo wheels are the easiest-to-clean wheels I've ever owned. Nice, wide spacing makes it easy to access the inner wheel race and brake caliper. That being said, your 21" and 22" options are sharp. I particularly like the 21" Exclusive wheels in Satin Platinum with your Carrara White / Bordeaux Red -- that exterior and interior combo was one of our finalists, BTW. I know you didn't post that wheel option, but hey, there it is.
2) Premium Plus is a requirement to me on a Turbo. Good choice.
3) Sport Exhaust is a requirement as well. We have it. Love it. Search for my posts that include video recordings of the sound. But... IMHO you need to add Sport Chrono to get the full effect. The three states of engine tune (Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus [only with Sport Chrono]) increasingly racy up the exhaust character (pops and burbles) and sound with the baffles open / PSE engaged. Spend the grand and add Sport Chrono. I think it's an absolute must.
4) My wife has gotten hooked on cameras and has trouble in parking lots. ParkAssist was a no-brainer. It works very well, with clear, sharp camera views that define what's around you. The side view is particularly handy when parallel parking, or running near a curb.
5) We blacked out everything on our Moonlight Blue car -- window trim, roof rails, door handles and mirrors. Looks good. On your white, it will kick butt.
6) Heated steering wheel is standard on the Turbo. My wife loves it. Nice, even, soothing heat.
7) Panoramic roof is standard. Love it. There seems to be a different type of coating on the glass relative to other panoramic moonroofs we've owned, because heat just does not come into the interior the same way. We rarely close the sunshade, which is unusual -- we almost always closed it in our other pano-roofed cars, even in winter, due to heat. (We're in Texas.)
8) We added the clear taillights and are glad we did, even if $800 for clear plastic is ridiculous. See pics I've posted all over, and my avatar. It makes the car look a little unique, and more aggressive IMHO.
9) We skipped the ventilated rears, but added heat back there. The four-way HVAC shoots enough breeze back there to keep people comfortable. Our daughter loves a warm butt, so why not?
10) We skipped Burmeister and InnoDrive. Personal choice on both -- we're not audiophiles, so the Bose is fine for us. And we HATE electronic nannies, so Porsche can stick InnoDrive where the sun don't shine. If we wanted a self-driving Tesla, we'd have bought a toaster. (I do not fault anyone who options these, though. It's a stupidly overpriced car -- get what you want!)
11) We added carbon everything, including the illuminated doorsills. We especially love the sills. They look expensive and classy.
12) We skipped the soft-close doors. They're cool, but we worried about one more thing to break. And frankly, the longer we've had our Turbo, the more I like the sound of the Cayenne's plain-Jane manual-close doors. They sound like a bank vault should sound when you close 'em -- expensive and hefty.

I wish you the best of luck in optioning and buying your Turbo. We have fallen madly in love with ours. It's a bad biyatch of a machine.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Hello. I'm a Porsche newbie myself. But my wife and I did take delivery of our 2019 Turbo in December. It's had its share of minor issues, but nothing that precludes us from loving the car. It just hit 2000 miles today as I was driving home from work (it's her car, but I drive it once or twice a week to even out commuting miles). So tomorrow the plan is to let 'er rip. Launch Control, here I come -- I am not kidding!

On to your post. A few observations, maybe helpful, maybe not.

1) We stuck with the "base" 21-inch Turbo-exclusive wheels. It wasn't about money (how stupid would that be in a $150K car?). It was about exclusivity. We decided we wanted our car to be seen as a Turbo at first glance. You can eff that up pretty quickly by adding SportDesign and changing the wheels. We stood pat for that reason, and saved a few bucks in the process. As a bonus, the Turbo wheels are the easiest-to-clean wheels I've ever owned. Nice, wide spacing makes it easy to access the inner wheel race and brake caliper. That being said, your 21" and 22" options are sharp. I particularly like the 21" Exclusive wheels in Satin Platinum with your Carrara White / Bordeaux Red -- that exterior and interior combo was one of our finalists, BTW. I know you didn't post that wheel option, but hey, there it is.
2) Premium Plus is a requirement to me on a Turbo. Good choice.
3) Sport Exhaust is a requirement as well. We have it. Love it. Search for my posts that include video recordings of the sound. But... IMHO you need to add Sport Chrono to get the full effect. The three states of engine tune (Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus [only with Sport Chrono]) increasingly racy up the exhaust character (pops and burbles) and sound with the baffles open / PSE engaged. Spend the grand and add Sport Chrono. I think it's an absolute must.
4) My wife has gotten hooked on cameras and has trouble in parking lots. ParkAssist was a no-brainer. It works very well, with clear, sharp camera views that define what's around you. The side view is particularly handy when parallel parking, or running near a curb.
5) We blacked out everything on our Moonlight Blue car -- window trim, roof rails, door handles and mirrors. Looks good. On your white, it will kick butt.
6) Heated steering wheel is standard on the Turbo. My wife loves it. Nice, even, soothing heat.
7) Panoramic roof is standard. Love it. There seems to be a different type of coating on the glass relative to other panoramic moonroofs we've owned, because heat just does not come into the interior the same way. We rarely close the sunshade, which is unusual -- we almost always closed it in our other pano-roofed cars, even in winter, due to heat. (We're in Texas.)
8) We added the clear taillights and are glad we did, even if $800 for clear plastic is ridiculous. See pics I've posted all over, and my avatar. It makes the car look a little unique, and more aggressive IMHO.
9) We skipped the ventilated rears, but added heat back there. The four-way HVAC shoots enough breeze back there to keep people comfortable. Our daughter loves a warm butt, so why not?
10) We skipped Burmeister and InnoDrive. Personal choice on both -- we're not audiophiles, so the Bose is fine for us. And we HATE electronic nannies, so Porsche can stick InnoDrive where the sun don't shine. If we wanted a self-driving Tesla, we'd have bought a toaster. (I do not fault anyone who options these, though. It's a stupidly overpriced car -- get what you want!)
11) We added carbon everything, including the illuminated doorsills. We especially love the sills. They look expensive and classy.
12) We skipped the soft-close doors. They're cool, but we worried about one more thing to break. And frankly, the longer we've had our Turbo, the more I like the sound of the Cayenne's plain-Jane manual-close doors. They sound like a bank vault should sound when you close 'em -- expensive and hefty.

I wish you the best of luck in optioning and buying your Turbo. We have fallen madly in love with ours. It's a bad biyatch of a machine.
Darn you! You’re making want a Turbo, I saw new White CT at my local WF yesterday and he had the Sport design wheels in 21” from the looks of it. I did not care for it as that size looks small on that beast. I also prefer the turbo wheels for the same reasons explained above.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:37 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Carrera White CTT. I skipped ACC, Innodrive, HUD and soft close doors but had all of the performance options. So far I don't miss the options I left out.

I would suggest you consider rear wheel steering. It really helps make the car feel smaller - the turning circle is two feet smaller.

Also if you are going to get the sports exhaust, sport chrono makes a big difference as the exhaust is much more aggressive in sport or sport plus. I thought sport chrono was a little silly in a SUV but it really is a piece of the sports exhaust - and you get the steering wheel dial.

I'd skip the ventilated rear seats.

As for wheels, I also live in the NE and went with the standard turbo 21" wheels and AS tires. They have been great in the snow and ice and handle the pothole infested roads quite well.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd skip the Burmester and the rear ventilation. That should get you pretty close to your $150k target.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM
dcbigbaps
AutoX

Hi everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. Lots to think about! I am leaning towards skipping the Inno-Drive, HUD, soft close doors, and ionizer. I might add in the sport chrono package since I love exhaust notes. Rear wheel steering is interesting to consider. I have carbon interiors in all of my current cars so for consistency, I may just do it.

BTW, if you don't get any fancy door sills, what material/look are the base door sills?

Anyone know if the heated windshield has lines running through it?

BTW, I had PDDC and PTV+ in my GTS. Great for cornering, but I didn't know if the value was worth it overtime since we never really took advantage of those features. Anyone here feel it's an necessity?

I'd love to skip Burmester, but I ended up regretting skipping the higher end audio systems in my other vehicles. I got the harmon kardon in my bmw 650, but wish i got the B&O (even though I'm not a big B&O fan). I got the Bose on my Cayenne and wish I had gotten the Burmester then. I ended up getting the B&W on my mclaren and love it.

Again, I truly appreciate the help everyone!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:58 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbigbaps
Hi everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. Lots to think about! I am leaning towards skipping the Inno-Drive, HUD, soft close doors, and ionizer. I might add in the sport chrono package since I love exhaust notes. Rear wheel steering is interesting to consider. I have carbon interiors in all of my current cars so for consistency, I may just do it.

BTW, if you don't get any fancy door sills, what material/look are the base door sills?

Anyone know if the heated windshield has lines running through it?

BTW, I had PDDC and PTV+ in my GTS. Great for cornering, but I didn't know if the value was worth it overtime since we never really took advantage of those features. Anyone here feel it's an necessity?

I'd love to skip Burmester, but I ended up regretting skipping the higher end audio systems in my other vehicles. I got the harmon kardon in my bmw 650, but wish i got the B&O (even though I'm not a big B&O fan). I got the Bose on my Cayenne and wish I had gotten the Burmester then. I ended up getting the B&W on my mclaren and love it.

Again, I truly appreciate the help everyone!
I think the PDCC is a must have. The PTV might not be. When you had your GTS, Porsche used to clump the PDCC and PTV together and call it a "sports option" but now it is an individual standing option.

I think the Burm is must, the rear wheel steering is a must. A lot of the things you want, ended up on my build.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:35 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The door sills are silver and say turbo if you don't specify.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I like going against the grain a bit. I had PDCC and Burmeister on my Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo. I did not get either on my S. I think RAS makes much more of a noticable difference than PDCC. So no regrets. Burm is excellent, but for me I rather use the dollars in other places. Lastly, I think HUD and ACC are great too and must have options.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:45 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The heated windshield has no lines and it seems to have a different tint to it. I have been curious after finally seeing a car with it, I will add it to my build. I like the Innodrive. Once you add the Lane Keep Assist option to the ACC, it is only a few hundred more to add the Innodrive. I have the RAS on my Panamera Turbo and it makes a difference.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 AM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I selected the features that make the heavier turbo feel more agile- and glad that I did- now that I finally have my car and driving it:

RWS... I really notice that during parking/ turning at slower speeds (no high speed experience yet)

PDCC... flat turns are very noticeable... I am still in break-in period but easily noticeable on daily drive .., love it .. ride is comfortable not harsh ... and again cornering is just FLAT

PTV+....assume this will be useful at higher speed/ hard cornering but no experience yet during break-in

Chrono: must have in my view... simply hit a button and just go...”full power” mode for 20 seconds ... have not used yet in my turbo but can’t wait. Critical to turn daily comfortable drive into a monster by a single button.... loved it on my M5 and needed it on turbo

ckear lights: agree with others ...it is worth it....I don’t have it on my turbo but I saw them and they look better than standard red lights ...in my view
Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 AM
dcbigbaps
AutoX

Alright folks, here are my two options: Option 1 has only the must haves. Option 2 has everything I want. I will hopefully be making the decision in the next few weeks. The only extras will be that I will probably wrap the whole car given I like non-metallic paint. I will also likely spring for the 7 year extended warranty like I did for my previous Cayenne (unless people think it's not worth it.

Option 1: $146,170 - plus I get a discount.
Black
Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red

Premium Package Plus
Massage Seat Function (Front) incl. Seat Ventilation (Front)

Side Window Trim in High Gloss Black
"PORSCHE" Logo in Satin Black and Model Designation in High Gloss Black Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Rear Axle Steering
Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sport Chrono Package

21" Cayenne Turbo Wheels incl. Wheel Arch Extensions in Exterior Color

Clear Taillights Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
Interior Trim in High Gloss Black

Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System

Option 2: $157,940 - plus I get a discount.
Black
Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red

Premium Package Plus
Massage Seat Function (Front) incl. Seat Ventilation (Front)

Side Window Trim in High Gloss Black
"PORSCHE" Logo in Satin Black and Model Designation in High Gloss Black Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Rear Axle Steering
Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sport Chrono Package

22" Cayenne Sport Classic Wheels in High Gloss Black incl. Wheel Arch Extensions in Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Clear Taillights Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Surround View
Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Head-Up Display

Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows

Interior Trim in Carbon Fiber
Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo