Sponsored By:

Thermal Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
But you have the cradle, so are you saying you saw no issues before activating it? Thanks
The cradle works whether it is registered or not. Registration is not needed for it to work. Whether I use the cradle or not I have not noticed any difference. My SA said I should see increased reception strength (more bars) using the cradle, but I really haven't noticed any difference. I will look more closely to see if reception strength increases using the cradle. I got the Smartphone Compartment to get better reception in rural and mountainous areas where signals are hard to get.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
The cradle works whether it is registered or not. Registration is not needed for it to work. Whether I use the cradle or not I have not noticed any difference. My SA said I should see increased reception strength (more bars) using the cradle, but I really haven't noticed any difference. I will look more closely to see if reception strength increases using the cradle. I got the Smartphone Compartment to get better reception in rural and mountainous areas where signals are hard to get.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

What is the advantage of thermal glass over ceramic tint?

cheers!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
What is the advantage of thermal glass over ceramic tint?

cheers!
In terms of blocking heat and UV, a top-quality film tint should be able to accomplish the same effect. But the glass has some other benefits - significant noise reduction, better view clarity, harder to damage than film. Also, in some places any aftermarket tint of front windows and/or windshield is not allowed, so the thermal glass is the only option there.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Have a new Cayenne S with the thermal/noise reducing glass. Cell phone reception fine, though I live in an area with good coverage. I did not get the cell phone compartment. Maybe if you live in a remote area with poor coverage, it would be more of an issue. No experience with a toll pass, but you can clearly see the the areas on the windshield near the rearview mirror where the glass is different. I do really think it helps reduce outside sounds, which I was looking for. Makes the Bose system sound even better.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:58 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

My SA told me. Apparently it can be placed anywhere inside the panoramic roof just don't obstruct the view. Seems to be a routine placement. In Florida there are toll sensors overhead and toll sensors at car level. Panoramic placement would be fine for the overhead sensors. He had not heard anything negative with car level sensors either.
Interesting. Next toll I find I'm going to just hold it up to the spot usually indicated to see if it works. If not, I guess it's the panoramic roof...
Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Captain Scurry
Have a new Cayenne S with the thermal/noise reducing glass. Cell phone reception fine, though I live in an area with good coverage. I did not get the cell phone compartment. Maybe if you live in a remote area with poor coverage, it would be more of an issue. No experience with a toll pass, but you can clearly see the the areas on the windshield near the rearview mirror where the glass is different. I do really think it helps reduce outside sounds, which I was looking for. Makes the Bose system sound even better.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 10:00 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Interesting. Next toll I find I'm going to just hold it up to the spot usually indicated to see if it works. If not, I guess it's the panoramic roof...
That may not work. I placed the toll pass in what I thought was the correct position near the rear view mirror, but it didn't work. As Captain Scurry said above you can see where the glass is different near the mirror which is the area my SA said the toll pass should be placed. I haven't gone through a toll station since it has been placed in this new position but I really hope it works there.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

That may not work. I placed the toll pass in what I thought was the correct position near the rear view mirror, but it didn't work. As Captain Scurry said above you can see where the glass is different near the mirror which is the area my SA said the toll pass should be placed. I haven't gone through a toll station since it has been placed in this new position but I really hope it works there.
Sorry yes this is the spot I meant I'd test. I didn't realize that that was different then the spot indicated in that diagram.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

My BMW 7 has this glass on it, and I don't experience any noticeable difference but then how can I compare it, unless I get out the car on the highway and see if the reception improves. However, when Porsche mentioned it "may cause receptions reduction...." That's enough for me to not include it. They wouldn't ding their own car unless there was a reason to do so. Tolltag on the sunroof? Really. Uh, not happening. I'll pass, thanks.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:09 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
Any real life issues with cell phone reception? I know Porsche suggestes the cell phone cradle/booster (still time to add to our order) but we have theramal glass in our S classs and cell phone reception nor sun pass is an issue.

I'd rather not add the phone crade if I dont really have to, as it takes up quite a bit of space in the small console compartment.
ive clocked over 2,000 miles w the thermal glass and have had zero issue with cell phone reception. I do not have the cell phone cradle. It’s my opinion it’s a waste of mullah

i did have to mount my Ez Pass on the front license plate holder which was a little bit of a bitch and some electronic tags for opening gates might not pass thru (I’m rolling down my window and waiving the tag outside of the car like an idiot)

Love the thicker glass with regards to keeping outside noises outside. It does make for a quieter cabin.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88

ive clocked over 2,000 miles w the thermal glass and have had zero issue with cell phone reception. I do not have the cell phone cradle. It’s my opinion it’s a waste of mullah

i did have to mount my Ez Pass on the front license plate holder which was a little bit of a bitch and some electronic tags for opening gates might not pass thru (I’m rolling down my window and waiving the tag outside of the car like an idiot)

Love the thicker glass with regards to keeping outside noises outside. It does make for a quieter cabin.
Nice thanks, cradle was deleted from my order.

Quick Reply: Thermal Glass