Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Comfort Access Tailgate with Towing Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:44 AM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Comfort Access Tailgate with Towing Package

Does anybody know HOW the "kick trunk" feature of the Comfort Access is disabled on the Cayenne with the factory Towing Package? Did they just not install a fuse? Is there a hitch insertion sensor? Or is the foot proximity sensor just not installed?

Often I see the sales people at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Porsche doing the Bavarian dance behind a SUV, waving and kicking their foot in the air while standing on one leg, trying to activate the powered tailgate. Many of the vehicles with the factory towing package has the feature disabled to prevent the tailgate from inadvertently opening while a trailer is attached. Because they usually work on the sedans, the sales people don't realize it's been disabled on SUVs with the tow package.

I'd like to activate the feature on mine. I do have the towing package but the way I use it, I don't have to worry about the tailgate clearance or crush danger.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:05 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Bavarian Dance feature 🙂 and the tow package and I have never had a problem with either. I did have to learn where to place my foot though. I lift my right foot up and down just one time to the right of the hitch then I step back a little. That seems to work for me. I haven't towed anything so I don't know if this works with something attached.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Gallas (12-23-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:03 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, it can be disabled. It’s explained in the manual somewhere, but I can’t remember where.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The manual states that comfort access for the tailgate can be deactivated in the PCM.
Celiawessen perhaps you have it deactivated.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:11 AM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

@Porschrex, thanks for the hint for where to kick.

After some experimenting, I found that the feature was not disabled at all! It was the fancy Porsche Crested Tow Receiver Cap that the dealer gave me that was somehow interfering with the foot sensor. It probably has some kind of metallic foil print for the crest that acts as a RF shield. If I carefully put my foot around the back of the tow receiver where the holes for the chains are, I could activate the "kick trunk" from either side of the tow receiver; 3 out of 5 times with the cap still in, but 5 out of 5 if the cap was removed! I think I'll ask for the plain cap back tomorrow and see if it is in-fact the fancy cap that causes the problem.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:50 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by celiawessen
@Porschrex, thanks for the hint for where to kick.

After some experimenting, I found that the feature was not disabled at all! It was the fancy Porsche Crested Tow Receiver Cap that the dealer gave me that was somehow interfering with the foot sensor. It probably has some kind of metallic foil print for the crest that acts as a RF shield. If I carefully put my foot around the back of the tow receiver where the holes for the chains are, I could activate the "kick trunk" from either side of the tow receiver; 3 out of 5 times with the cap still in, but 5 out of 5 if the cap was removed! I think I'll ask for the plain cap back tomorrow and see if it is in-fact the fancy cap that causes the problem.
I am pretty sure the plain oem cap is rubber.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by celiawessen
Does anybody know HOW the "kick trunk" feature of the Comfort Access is disabled on the Cayenne with the factory Towing Package? Did they just not install a fuse? Is there a hitch insertion sensor? Or is the foot proximity sensor just not installed?

Often I see the sales people at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Porsche doing the Bavarian dance behind a SUV, waving and kicking their foot in the air while standing on one leg, trying to activate the powered tailgate. Many of the vehicles with the factory towing package has the feature disabled to prevent the tailgate from inadvertently opening while a trailer is attached. Because they usually work on the sedans, the sales people don't realize it's been disabled on SUVs with the tow package.

I'd like to activate the feature on mine. I do have the towing package but the way I use it, I don't have to worry about the tailgate clearance or crush danger.
It is automatically disabled when you have a trailer hooked up to it and a the trailer electrical pigtail is plugged in. This is so the tailgate does not hit the trailer when it is opened. It will simply unlatch the tailgate. It has been this way since the Cayenne came out in 2003.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank YOu

Hey, thank you to the forum members for the information on the Comfort Access foot dance with the trailer package. When I picked up my Cayenne S with tow hitch the dealer told me the comfort access did not work with the tow hitch......which I believed until I read this thread, works perfectly so long as you get your foot in the right spot. Told the dealer and they were shocked at the news.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Last week my wife was attaching our hitch-mount Thule bike rack to the Cayenne. While trying to tighten the hitch pin, the liftgate would start to open and bump the bike rack. She called me over to show me this weird phenomenon. We were both stumped until I discovered that our Cayenne has the comfort access feature. Kind of funny but annoying. I'll be disabling that feature via the PCM tomorrow. Glad I read this thread!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Comfort Access Tailgate with Towing Package