Sponsored By:

OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:51 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
It's been a while...so I wanted to revive this thread. It seems Hybrid inventory, especially 2020s, is much harder to find when compared to the Base or S. And a lot of the available cars are either demos with tons of miles (and tiny discounts) or too highly equipped. Talking with my SA, it seems even if you were to place an order for a Hybrid right now, with the delays, it'd arrive sometime in August/September. My car's been going strong since I got it on 9/11/19, currently averaging 18 mpg overall (I don't charge much because I only have access to a 110 outlet). That said, the car's really fun and fast to drive (and launch), and I still think it's much better value over the S, especially considering how future resale values will be stronger than most of us may have originally thought due to demand.

The question now becomes....after I'm 24 months into my 36 month lease and want to take advantage of Porsche's pull-ahead program.....do I go and finance a heavily depreciated Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid? Panamera Turbo (used)? A Taycan Turbo (used) or 4S Sport Turismo (new - once announced)? Cayenne Turbo (used)?
Interesting post. I doubt that there will be many Cayenne E-Hybrids ordered by dealerships to "try to sell them", at least in the USA. I assume that most E-Hybrids are special-ordered. I checked seven Porsche dealerships within about an hour's drive of my house, and there's only one new Cayenne E-Hybrid for sale at any of them (a 2020) and zero used Cayenne E-Hybrids.
And I live in a part of the country that is very "into" EVs.

Also, I find that 99.9% [basically 100%, but I'm being cautious :-) ] of all new Porsches that dealers have on their lots have MUCH that I don't want/need and MUCH that I want and they don't have. So I always special-order any new Porsche to get what I want (I really don't like any of their Premium Packages because they are too expensive, have much I don't need/want and lack stuff that I want). I tend to therefore get much cheaper buys on new Porsches than you can find on dealer lots.

As for your not charging because you only have access to 110-volt outlets: I find this bizarre. The whole point of a PHEV is plugging in. I have plugged in every night that I'm home with just a 110-volt plug, and I'm fully charged the next day for 20-25 miles of all-electric range (this is my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, not a Cayenne E-Hybrid, but they're almost identical in drivetrain). I plug in 11 months of the year (with a month of out-of-town travel where I don't bother and still get about 28 mpg average on the highway). You're really missing out on a lot of what's good in your E-Hybrid by not plugging in. When commuting locally, I go 5-6 weeks without filling up and generally get 1000-1200 miles on a single tank of gas. I think that Porsche has really nailed the EV technology; my Panamera E-Hybrid is near perfect (but I wish that the battery pack was 2-3 times larger, for more like 50 miles of all-electric range in winter), and I'm looking seriously at a Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid for next year, or else a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo. I drove a Taycan Turbo S a month ago, and it was just amazing. All I know is that I'll never again buy a new Porsche without a plug (PHEV or BEV) -- they are that good.

As for your hopes of something arriving from Germany, Porsche-wise, in Aug.-Sept., I think that's a dream that won't have a chance of coming true. It's really hard to see how all the supply chains, factories, shipping lines, etc., are going to be going anytime within a half year or more.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (01-03-2021)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Interesting post. I doubt that there will be many Cayenne E-Hybrids ordered by dealerships to "try to sell them", at least in the USA. I assume that most E-Hybrids are special-ordered. I checked seven Porsche dealerships within about an hour's drive of my house, and there's only one new Cayenne E-Hybrid for sale at any of them (a 2020) and zero used Cayenne E-Hybrids.
And I live in a part of the country that is very "into" EVs.

Also, I find that 99.9% [basically 100%, but I'm being cautious :-) ] of all new Porsches that dealers have on their lots have MUCH that I don't want/need and MUCH that I want and they don't have. So I always special-order any new Porsche to get what I want (I really don't like any of their Premium Packages because they are too expensive, have much I don't need/want and lack stuff that I want). I tend to therefore get much cheaper buys on new Porsches than you can find on dealer lots.

As for your not charging because you only have access to 110-volt outlets: I find this bizarre. The whole point of a PHEV is plugging in. I have plugged in every night that I'm home with just a 110-volt plug, and I'm fully charged the next day for 20-25 miles of all-electric range (this is my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, not a Cayenne E-Hybrid, but they're almost identical in drivetrain). I plug in 11 months of the year (with a month of out-of-town travel where I don't bother and still get about 28 mpg average on the highway). You're really missing out on a lot of what's good in your E-Hybrid by not plugging in. When commuting locally, I go 5-6 weeks without filling up and generally get 1000-1200 miles on a single tank of gas. I think that Porsche has really nailed the EV technology; my Panamera E-Hybrid is near perfect (but I wish that the battery pack was 2-3 times larger, for more like 50 miles of all-electric range in winter), and I'm looking seriously at a Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid for next year, or else a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo. I drove a Taycan Turbo S a month ago, and it was just amazing. All I know is that I'll never again buy a new Porsche without a plug (PHEV or BEV) -- they are that good.

As for your hopes of something arriving from Germany, Porsche-wise, in Aug.-Sept., I think that's a dream that won't have a chance of coming true. It's really hard to see how all the supply chains, factories, shipping lines, etc., are going to be going anytime within a half year or more.
Yes, i entirely concur with the above.
I've had the base Cayenne for 2months, then a S for a month - both supplied by my OPC due to unforeseen delay with my e-hybrid - & IMHO, it's an absolute no brainer to go for e-hybrid (or any future BEV) if you do have access to regular charging, & only if you do have home access or work access.
Straight line performance trumps that of a S, particularly with the instant torque of a charged battery plus the near silence ride & the cost savings in terms of mpg.

I have a daily commute of 52miles, charge once (nightly) with unplugging in morning & currently average 42mpg.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:26 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

Just to add to this updated thread. I have an allocation for an E Hybrid for June (grabbed that the first week of January, only one available in ATX at that moment), just locked in my options a week ago. At this point, if everything restarts and they somehow get back on schedule I will have it in August. I am assuming I may have it before the end of the year, if things start reopening in late May, but not holding my breath. I am not in dire need of it, otherwise I would look at buying something off the lot, and would have to go with either a base or an S.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by london123
Yes, i entirely concur with the above.
I've had the base Cayenne for 2months, then a S for a month - both supplied by my OPC due to unforeseen delay with my e-hybrid - & IMHO, it's an absolute no brainer to go for e-hybrid (or any future BEV) if you do have access to regular charging, & only if you do have home access or work access.
Straight line performance trumps that of a S, particularly with the instant torque of a charged battery plus the near silence ride & the cost savings in terms of mpg.

I have a daily commute of 52miles, charge once (nightly) with unplugging in morning & currently average 42mpg.
I went from driving an ICE-only car to my Panamera E-Hybrid as my daily driver, and the monthly savings in fuel was around $100 (gas vs. gas+electricity). That's nice, but the ability to not go to gas stations more than once every 5-6 weeks is even better (and more worth it, to me). And, yes, E-Hybrids (whether Panamera or Cayenne) are cheaper than the "S" models if you live in the US and claim the federal tax credit for plug-in vehicles ($6700 currently for E-Hybrids) and any tax rebates (it's $1500 in my state now for a plug-in vehicle) -- if you buy new. So, E-Hybrids are more power and torque, cheaper to buy and fuel up, and more fun and flexible than their corresponding ICE-only models in the Porsche four-door line-ups. (But, yes, plug-ins don't make sense if you can't plug in every night.)
The following users liked this post:
poolie (01-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 PM
bluestravellertx
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just had our Cayenne E-Hybrid delivered last Thursday. We had put in an order last October, dealer really wanted to deliver a 2019 model in early 2020. If the Covid related shutdown did not happen, it would have arrived in May timeframe.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:36 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid owner in California I purchase fuel at Costco. I am having difficulty with numerous fuel fill shutoff issues and I am wondering if anyone is having similar issues?
I have tried inverting and swiveling the nozzle, but I still experience 5 to 10 shut offs to fill the tank.
Is this a Porsche issue or a Costco issue caused by high fuel fill speed?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:50 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I have filled up in numerous locations, including Costco. Never had any problems with shutoff.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread