Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:58 PM
afel
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB

Hey all! 2019 PSCB have a low speed sequel when breaking and they even make a noise at 25 mph with no petal engagement. Per dealer it is a known issue with a June fix by Porsche. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Turboace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issue with my PSCB. They are a little grabby but you get used to it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by afel
Hey all! 2019 PSCB have a low speed sequel when breaking and they even make a noise at 25 mph with no petal engagement. Per dealer it is a known issue with a June fix by Porsche. Anyone else have this issue?
I was wondering what that squeal was. I hear at around 35 mph, I think coming the right front. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboace
No issue with my PSCB. They are a little grabby but you get used to it.
I have 4000 miles on my PSCB and breaking seems normal. I have gotten used to them and don't now think they are grabby.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 AM
afel
Advanced

Originally Posted by porscherex
I was wondering what that squeal was. I hear at around 35 mph, I think coming the right front. Thanks for the info.
same as me! Thx
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM
afel
Advanced

Hopefully Porsche will have a fix for the 30 mph squeal in May has promised! Odd that this does not apply to applying breaks, just driving down the road.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afel
Hopefully Porsche will have a fix for the 30 mph squeal in May has promised! Odd that this does not apply to applying breaks, just driving down the road.
Just came back from service for this very issue on my '19 turbo today. The car would make a chirping / squealing sound (without the brake pedal depressed) that would go away at around 35 mph. They told me that 3 out of four brake calipers were out of alignment and that the discs needed adjusting. They did all the work in 24 hours and the sound went away.

(Porsche of South Bay did the work for me)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM
afel
Advanced

WOW! Thank you @ak432! When I went to Porsche DTLA they advised "879 During inspection found noise concern from both rear pads/rotors. Due to lack of information of concern, FTM was contacted and explained that vehicle can be released, concern is not safety related and Porsche is working on a remedy to alleviate concern.
Looks like i will be making an appointment at Porsche South Bay!!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:30 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Problem. Just a follow up to be clear....Shortly after taking delivery, I noticed a very faint squeal (rubbing sound) from front brake area (unsure right vs left)...it became increasingly louder and the sound reached the level of "
can't drive through a parking lot without getting looks from all around". I mention this because if your car makes a faint sound, don't assume it will go away.

If you go to Porsche SB, ask for Michael (service advisor). He took great care of me.

There are a few glitches still to be sorted. My High beam assist stopped working after a fault warning a month ago or so, it still doesnt work...but the dealer says there were no faults and everything checked out. It's not critical enough for me to take it back there right away, but a bit annoying. My assumption was that if a fault is displayed, it has to be stored somewhere..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
afel
Advanced

Other than an annoying rattle coming from the glove box which i think is related to the carbon fiber strip, it has been good so far. I really do enjoy it. The system selected Chris Gibson as my SA. Perhaps I can share that they have seen and settled this issue in the past. Yes, people do hear my car before they see it. Nice Superfast! Do you ever go to the Saturday Shift? I take my '19 Portofino
Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM
afel
Advanced

Hi @ak432! The service went great and I could not be more pleased with Porsche South Bay. One follow-up item (and I do believe this dealership), the break squeal is indeed a known issue with Porsche. They are developing new rear pads (yes rear) to address the issue. In case your noise comes back, you may want them to address the same. PS - they also fixed my dash rattle!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

These brakes need to be bedded aggressively IMO.
With 500-600 mi did 4-5 60mph threshold (approaching lock-up) runs and 3 - 90 mph to threshold. This immediately reduced the on/off pedal nature of this sys. To date with about 2k mi I have never experienced any noise coming from these brakes.
Ive have noticed during cold rainy weather initial brake bite is reduced substantially until the water is cleared from the rotors. My guess is Porsche will come out with a diff pad material @ some point. Still these PSCBs are phenominal in slowing a 4800 lb vehicle..

Last edited by JCL59; 03-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:23 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCL59
These brakes need to bedded aggressively IMO.
With 500-600 mi did 4-5 60mph threshold (approaching lock-up) runs and 3 - 90 mph to threshold. This immediately reduced the on/off pedal nature of this sys. To date with about 2k mi I have never experienced any noise coming from these brakes.
Ive have noticed during cold rainy weather initial brake bite is reduced substantially until the water is cleared from the rotors. My guess is Porsche will come out with a diff pad material @ some point. Still these PSCBs are phenominal in slowing a 4800 lb vehicle..

Hello - just had a post that didn't send. Quick question - I am coming from the Macan side, just bought a 2016 CPO Macan Turbo with just over 5,000 miles on the odo at delivery.

PCCB's are super-grabby, on/off, very difficult to modulate and drive smoothly, especially in the super cold weather we've been having. It's definitely a bit better when air temperatures are warmer.

Question - is it too late to try bedding these PCCB's in? Have < 6,000 miles on it now, again 3 years old.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012
Hello - just had a post that didn't send. Quick question - I am coming from the Macan side, just bought a 2016 CPO Macan Turbo with just over 5,000 miles on the odo at delivery.

PCCB's are super-grabby, on/off, very difficult to modulate and drive smoothly, especially in the super cold weather we've been having. It's definitely a bit better when air temperatures are warmer.

Question - is it too late to try bedding these PCCB's in? Have < 6,000 miles on it now, again 3 years old.

Thanks in advance!
Interesting about your PCCBs. Either yours need some maintenance done on them, or Porsche improved them quite a bit with the new-generation Cayenne. We have them on our Turbo. They are progressive, quiet, and stop the car like it just dropped onto an aircraft carrier if you want them to. They are the best brakes we've ever owned, hands down.

We're in north Texas, and have had a weird winter thus far. Since we took delivery, we've had high temperatures around 80. Lows have dropped into the 20s. Some days were bone-dry humidity-wise; other periods were extensive rain and drizzle.

I point this out not to be an amateur weatherman, but to illustrate that our PCCBs have experienced a wide range of weather conditions. So far, they've performed in champion fashion.

You might have your dealer look at your Macan. You might have a sticky piston (or several) or other mechanical issues making it difficult to modulate your brakes.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Interesting about your PCCBs. Either yours need some maintenance done on them, or Porsche improved them quite a bit with the new-generation Cayenne. We have them on our Turbo. They are progressive, quiet, and stop the car like it just dropped onto an aircraft carrier if you want them to. They are the best brakes we've ever owned, hands down.

We're in north Texas, and have had a weird winter thus far. Since we took delivery, we've had high temperatures around 80. Lows have dropped into the 20s. Some days were bone-dry humidity-wise; other periods were extensive rain and drizzle.

I point this out not to be an amateur weatherman, but to illustrate that our PCCBs have experienced a wide range of weather conditions. So far, they've performed in champion fashion.

You might have your dealer look at your Macan. You might have a sticky piston (or several) or other mechanical issues making it difficult to modulate your brakes.
Thanks for the reply, JCWLS3. We've been stuck in extreme cold for several weeks now, current temp -8 deg F, has been colder.

I have considered getting the Porsche service guys to take it out for a spin, but am expecting the answer will be "driving per design, expect PCCB's to be grabby, esp. in cold".

This is a CPO vehicle and so must have passed muster on the road test, it's a Vancouver car, much milder weather where it originated. And the modulation does improve when the weather (relatively) warms here so far.

Being a newb with the PCCB's as well, I can't exclude that this is not a 'user' issue on my part, just having to retrain some muscle memory, I am getting better at it already. Agree that it drops anchor like nobody's business when you hit that point/segment in the pedal travel!

Just thankful so far that there has been no squeal or noise. Local dealer service manager told me to expect this. At least this 'issue' of them being grabby is perhaps less random than the squeal/noise some owners are reporting with PCCB and PSCB, notwithstanding the apparent officially acknowledge issue with the latter.

In chatting with the service manager about this and the CPO process, he mentioned that when they were CPO'ing a 911, I believe a GT car, they noticed a chip on one of the rotors and basically had to fork over $5k CDN to replace it to give it the CPO stamp. They said they would be very careful with mine when we swap the winters for summers!

Anyhow, thanks again for your reply and happy motoring! You have a phenomenal build for your '19 CTT!!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB