9Y0 Engineering Details

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:51 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 9Y0 Engineering Details

I found a nice article on some of the engineering details on the 9Y0. It is written by David Tracy from Jalopnik. Very good details of the rear wheel steering and the new transmission. Enjoy!

Article Link
The following 7 users liked this post by OCNYPORSCHE:
ArcticFox (04-14-2022), chassis (12-22-2022), Heegoogoo1 (12-10-2020), kash1786 (06-22-2022), Obelix13 (08-26-2023), Rleog (06-29-2022), Talon38c (01-18-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool. Thanks for posting
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

I enjoyed that too. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So my loaded 18' Q7 that I am trading in for the Cayenne (will be here in May) has all these options, including the air suspension, 3 chamber shocks, rear wheel steering and active shutters. Not to mention all the driver aids (night vision, head up display and virtual cockpit. Question to myself: Why the hell am I trading it in for? If I get all these options on the Cayenne, it is easily $40k more.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrtouareg:
chipsterguy (05-21-2020), poolie (03-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
So my loaded 18' Q7 that I am trading in for the Cayenne (will be here in May) has all these options, including the air suspension, 3 chamber shocks, rear wheel steering and active shutters. Not to mention all the driver aids (night vision, head up display and virtual cockpit. Question to myself: Why the hell am I trading it in for? If I get all these options on the Cayenne, it is easily $40k more.
I guess it must why you felt compelled to trade in your new Q7 for a Cayenne and post on a Porsche forum vs an Audi forum
The following 2 users liked this post by OCNYPORSCHE:
ALEV8 (02-11-2024), chipsterguy (05-21-2020)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

I guess it must why you felt compelled to trade in your new Q7 for a Cayenne and post on a Porsche forum vs an Audi forum
Just trying to justify getting rid of the Q7, I guess. My wife and I are empty nesters now and most of the Q7s I see around my part of the country are driven by women with kids in the back. I had a Cayenne before but is was the base model that was underwhelming to drive. I had a Touareg with a V10 TT TDI before that. The Q7 drives well and I like most everything about it except it looks like a station wagon, even in a dark grey color, black optics package and 21" wheels. Just doesn't do it for me. I need a vehicle that can tow at least 5000 Lbs because I tow a trailer with race bikes in it. It must also be a fun daily driver. I was in the market for a used Cayenne GTS but after test driving the 19' model year, I placed an order for one on the spot with my Porsche dealer.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (03-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just trying to justify getting rid of the Q7, I guess. My wife and I are empty nesters now and most of the Q7s I see around my part of the country are driven by women with kids in the back. I had a Cayenne before but is was the base model that was underwhelming to drive. I had a Touareg with a V10 TT TDI before that. The Q7 drives well and I like most everything about it except it looks like a station wagon, even in a dark grey color, black optics package and 21" wheels. Just doesn't do it for me. I need a vehicle that can tow at least 5000 Lbs because I tow a trailer with race bikes in it. It must also be a fun daily driver. I was in the market for a used Cayenne GTS but after test driving the 19' model year, I placed an order for one on the spot with my Porsche dealer.
I was just kidding. I know your scenario well as I have tried other vehicles, like a MB GL450 and BMW X5. I always come back to a Cayenne. I have owned 7 Cayennes (still own 2) and probably will always have at least 1. Porsche simply over engineers them because their customer segment like to drive them hard (sporty). Many other luxury brands are a bit too numb, and less exhilarating. A Cayenne can tow/haul and easily outhandle many sports cars. Not an easy recipe to make. The 2019 base Cayenne is more powerful than the original 955 turbo!
poolie (03-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to make you feel that you are not alone, we just traded in our loaded 2017 Q7 Prestige with 21" RS wheels for our new 2019 base Cayenne. I completely agree with you on the Q7's look. no matter which angle from the side to the rear, the Q7 looks like a minion or station wagon.
Stangle (01-16-2022)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjbk18
Just to make you feel that you are not alone, we just traded in our loaded 2017 Q7 Prestige with 21" RS wheels for our new 2019 base Cayenne. I completely agree with you on the Q7's look. no matter which angle from the side to the rear, the Q7 looks like a minion or station wagon.
Drives like one, too. Not taking a shot -- just our impressions from test-driving two Q7s. Dull as dishwater and not much sexier to look at. Very disappointing relative to the older, rounder model, which we both thought was at least a stylish, expensive-looking SUV.

Anyway -- you guys are not going to regret your Cayennes. My wife and I are continually amazed by how Porsche created such a lively, spirited, fun, fast SUV from the same platform that underpins the sleepy Q7. It's worth every extra nickel they charge.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCWLS3:
poolie (03-21-2021), wutographydc (01-30-2023)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Drives like one, too. Not taking a shot -- just our impressions from test-driving two Q7s. Dull as dishwater and not much sexier to look at. Very disappointing relative to the older, rounder model, which we both thought was at least a stylish, expensive-looking SUV.

Anyway -- you guys are not going to regret your Cayennes. My wife and I are continually amazed by how Porsche created such a lively, spirited, fun, fast SUV from the same platform that underpins the sleepy Q7. It's worth every extra nickel they charge.
You are right on. Sorry to other Q7 owners out there, but our Q7 was so boring to drive. The worst part was we bought the Q7 to replace our beloved 958 base Cayenne, which turned out to be a bad move. That's why we are right back to our 2019 Cayenne.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

The only thing that the Q7 does better than our new Cayenne is its surround cameras view is much clearer and brighter in low lights even in a smaller screen. There much be a way to calibrate the Cayenne's cameras for better images in low lights. Does anyone here know how to do it? I scanned through the owner manual but couldn't find anything.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I like reading all of your opinions on the new Cayenne both good and bad. With regard to the Q7, let's keep in mind that the SUVs sold by the VW Group are intentionally aimed at different buyers. Audi Q7, Bentley Bentayga, Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne, and Volkswagen Touareg - all are built on the same platform and share some parts. But the prices, performance, style, and comfort are quite different. Add in the Macan, Q5, Q3, and Tiguan and it's obvious VW Group has an SUV for everyone.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 AM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

From the Q7, to the Cayenne, to the Bentayga and to the Urus....they all have different driving characteristics. Pretty substantial differences between the 4 in my opinion.

For me, I was pretty close to canceling my order to pick up a leftover Bentayga with a heavy discount over my Cayenne Turbo order. After the discount on each SUV, It was within $12k of each other....
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I like reading all of your opinions on the new Cayenne both good and bad. With regard to the Q7, let's keep in mind that the SUVs sold by the VW Group are intentionally aimed at different buyers. Audi Q7, Bentley Bentayga, Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne, and Volkswagen Touareg - all are built on the same platform and share some parts. But the prices, performance, style, and comfort are quite different. Add in the Macan, Q5, Q3, and Tiguan and it's obvious VW Group has an SUV for everyone.
Totally spot-on. But if you're posting in a Cayenne forum, I'd like to think you give at least a minor whit about driving dynamics and performance -- same goes for the Urus. Head on over to the Q7 / Bentayga conversations to discuss the latest in sound-deadening and narcoleptic-ride technology...
Talon38c (01-18-2024)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tjbk18
The only thing that the Q7 does better than our new Cayenne is its surround cameras view is much clearer and brighter in low lights even in a smaller screen. There much be a way to calibrate the Cayenne's cameras for better images in low lights. Does anyone here know how to do it? I scanned through the owner manual but couldn't find anything.
I find the same and my image is misaligned when the wheel is turned.

Quick Reply: 9Y0 Engineering Details