Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How can I reduce the weight of my Cayenne S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I reduce the weight of my Cayenne S?

I'm planning to get a new cayenne S next spring. The weight is pretty low for the category, so I want to reduce it even more.
Carbon fiber hood, 21" lightweight wheels (even though I still need to find the brand, I don't know much about that) and carboceramic brakes are all on charts. The new cayenne also comes standard with a lightweight lithium battery, so there is no sense to change that probably.
Does anyone have other ideas to reduce more weight from the cayenne?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Remove the rear seats LOL.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rothen
I'm planning to get a new cayenne S next spring. The weight is pretty low for the category, so I want to reduce it even more.
Carbon fiber hood, 21" lightweight wheels (even though I still need to find the brand, I don't know much about that) and carboceramic brakes are all on charts. The new cayenne also comes standard with a lightweight lithium battery, so there is no sense to change that probably.
You do realize that the Cayenne S has a curb weight of 4454 lbs right? Trying to reduce that in any meaningful way, such that you feel any difference in handling or performance, is 100's of lbs away. I would not waste any money on carbon fiber anything for this SUV as a weight saving measure. The PCCBs on the other hand will reduce the unsprung mass which helps but again will probably be negligible in regards to perceived performance improvement.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

White paint, literally saves a few pounds over metallic paint . It really does.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 683 Likes on 477 Posts

Get lighter wife/girlfriend.
The following users liked this post:
FoneGuy (04-25-2023)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:59 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

at the very least, your wallet will be much lighter after the purchase.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Get lighter wife/girlfriend.
Excellent advice. I'll elaborate on london123's post: Your wallet will be a LOT lighter after the divorce!

The following users liked this post:
FoneGuy (04-25-2023)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably the most obvious way- go on a diet. You’ll be thinner and attractive to skinny models.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by normp
Probably the most obvious way- go on a diet. You’ll be thinner and attractive to skinny models.
Lol, considering my frame I could go for 8-10 lbs less actually. But I'm looking for something more technical
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Excellent advice. I'll elaborate on london123's post: Your wallet will be a LOT lighter after the divorce!
Man I should have divorced when I've seen in person the color my wife picked up for her Q7. Just kidding.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redyps
You do realize that the Cayenne S has a curb weight of 4454 lbs right? Trying to reduce that in any meaningful way, such that you feel any difference in handling or performance, is 100's of lbs away. I would not waste any money on carbon fiber anything for this SUV as a weight saving measure. The PCCBs on the other hand will reduce the unsprung mass which helps but again will probably be negligible in regards to perceived performance improvement.
I think you're right, carbon fiber hood is more for an aesthetic purpose.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
White paint, literally saves a few pounds over metallic paint . It really does.
But I'm afraid the solid paint will fade a bit in a decade. I'd like keeping my porsche for a looong time.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rothen
I don't have any ideas about reducing weight, but how about not adding more weight to the car with all the options? Things like panoramic sunroof, four-zone climate control, heated/cooled seats, etc. all add to the overall weight of the vehicle. Oh, and get the smallest wheel possible! On the flip side, your wallet will be heavier.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Super light HRE, Enkei wheels in 18” will help with weight and changing to PCCB will be the best weight savings you can realistically do. Don’t order a panoramic roof. The hood is already very light. Next you’d have to remove the rear seats and not order any upgrades whatsoever. Not sure why you’d wan to lower the weight. It already drives really well. Might be better to wait for a GTS version which will be a coupe suv.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Opt for no sunroof and remove some heavier options, like 4-zone CC, noise-reducing glass etc.

Besides that, the only changes that have reasonable cost-benefit ratio would be carbon brakes and forged wheels. But wheels are tricky - many light forged wheels do not have sufficient weight rating for an SUV because they are just sportscar wheels with bolt pattern and offset that matches what Cayenne needs. So you'd need to be careful with those. But in general, I'd second what has been said - it's a pointless exercise in such a big and heavy vehicle. If the goal is to make it sportier, get a Macan and E-class wagon (same luggage space in a car as cayenne, but does not tow). Or consider getting another car to scratch the sportscar itch - it does not have to be expensive to be sportier than a Cayenne.

Quick Reply: How can I reduce the weight of my Cayenne S?