Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why you should purchase an S model

Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 AM
MV19
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why you should purchase an S model

There’s been a lot of love on this forum for the Base and the Turbo models, but not as much love for the S. However, I think the S makes *a lot* of sense if (1) you think the Base’s engine is underwhelming, (2) you aren’t interested in a plug-in hybrid, and (3) you can keep your S build under $100k. Once you go over $100k, you will probably get better value by moving up to a Turbo or waiting for the GTS.

Below is an example of an S build for $95k that I think is more desirable than, say, a similarly optioned $80k Base or a heavily-optioned $95k Base. By getting the S, you get the 434hp engine, upgraded brakes, quad tailpipes, and PASM. I think there’s a lot of value in the S at this price point, especially as the S will always command a premium over the Base on the used car market. Thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKGBUXL2

Last edited by MV19; 02-13-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Well, one could argue:

1) How often are you flooring it in a Cayenne and need yet more acceleration? I test drove both a base and an S and while the S has more power at full throttle, I did not notice any difference until I floored it (which would be rare).

2) When are the base brakes not adequate? They will be cheaper to service when it comes time to replace pads and rotors. When I test drove both I actually thought the base brakes felt subjectively better (pedal was firmer).

I want to justify an S (or a Turbo) but I am having a hard time doing it...
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 AM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Well, one could argue:

1) How often are you flooring it in a Cayenne and need yet more acceleration? I test drove both a base and an S and while the S has more power at full throttle, I did not notice any difference until I floored it (which would be rare).

2) When are the base brakes not adequate? They will be cheaper to service when it comes time to replace pads and rotors. When I test drove both I actually thought the base brakes felt subjectively better (pedal was firmer).

I want to justify an S (or a Turbo) but I am having a hard time doing it...
Amen, brotha. I went with the base.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest argument is...why would you take an S over an E-hybrid? Don’t get me wrong, I would love an S E—Hybrid,but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I did a little research and so far it seems the current E-hybrid is a better system then the BMW 40e,GLEe, and Volvo. I may have missed something but from what I read, the E-hybrid Cayenne in the Plug-in Suv luxo segment has the best ev-range and combined MPG. It’s also the quickest in segment and a shy quicker then the Cay S with more standard features for less money. I also like the fact i can get better parking with a plug-in. Please feel free to change my mind towards an S because i just can’t figure out why the E-hybrid isn’t the better option and this comes from someone who very much disliked hybrids.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I test drove both a base and an S also and surprisingly came away more impressed with the base. The base felt more agile to me. Something about the S was strange with the throttle and made it feel like it had a lot more engine braking when coming off the throttle. When flooring both, the S felt like it had a little bit of turbo lag. I really thought it would be a larger difference between the two when accelerating from about 25mph merging onto the interstate.

I cancelled my S order and changed to a base with the same options and 21" wheels. For the price difference between the two, the S should at least come with decent looking wheels. 19s? It should at least have 20s standard.

I should note that I added the Sport Chrono to the base order in lieu of PASM. It was just a better value if you want an extra kick in accelaraton.

Last edited by jrtouareg; 02-13-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 AM
MV19
AutoX

Originally Posted by Cyclenut1
I think the biggest argument is...why would you take an S over an E-hybrid? Don’t get me wrong, I would love an S E—Hybrid,but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I did a little research and so far it seems the current E-hybrid is a better system then the BMW 40e,GLEe, and Volvo. I may have missed something but from what I read, the E-hybrid Cayenne in the Plug-in Suv luxo segment has the best ev-range and combined MPG. It’s also the quickest in segment and a shy quicker then the Cay S with more standard features for less money. I also like the fact i can get better parking with a plug-in. Please feel free to change my mind towards an S because i just can’t figure out why the E-hybrid isn’t the better option and this comes from someone who very much disliked hybrids.
I can think of two reasons to prefer the S to the E-Hybrid. First, the E-hybrid has a 600lb. weight penalty over the S. You would need to add Air Suspension and PDCC to make the E-Hybrid handle like an S. Second, the E-Hybrid will probably depreciate faster than the S. Most people don't like to buy used plug-in vehicles because long-term reliability is unproven and the technology advances so quickly. If you check Autotrader, you'll find that the previous Cayenne generation's (958) S-E Hybrid model has depreciated faster than the S.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my 2016 base about a month before my 2019 base arrived and had a 2018 S as a loaner during that month. The difference in the engine power between the 958 base and S was felt immediately. However, after I gave back the loaner when the 2019 base finally arrived, I barely noticed any difference between the 958 S and 2019 base. So unless there is also a huge upgrade in power from the 958 S to the 9Y0 S, which I have not heard about anywhere including on this forum, I think I made the right choice, at least for my needs.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

With all the incentives here, an hybrid makes way more sense than an S, but I am not ready yet for an electric Porsche, no offense intended but in my mind it’s just wrong, I can get a Toyota though.
Base vs S is always a useless debate, the only thing that is clear to me is that this Base is a HUGE improvement over the last generation, plenty fast, has less boosty engine characteristics, cheaper to run and the difference in price will pay for many comfort and luxury options I like/want in a DD without going crazy expensive, it’s a big heavy SUV for God’s sake, who cares about 1 sec 0-60 difference, we are not talking 911 here.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the S because i felt the base just didn't move as well as i would've liked! When I finally drove the S boy I said this is the way it was meant to drive!
Acceleration was in my opinion much more robust and forceful! Can see all the arguments but it comes down to what you like and what your wallet can afford!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
With all the incentives here, an hybrid makes way more sense than an S, but I am not ready yet for an electric Porsche, no offense intended but in my mind it’s just wrong, I can get a Toyota though.
Base vs S is always a useless debate, the only thing that is clear to me is that this Base is a HUGE improvement over the last generation, plenty fast, has less boosty engine characteristics, cheaper to run and the difference in price will pay for many comfort and luxury options I like/want in a DD without going crazy expensive, it’s a big heavy SUV for God’s sake, who cares about 1 sec 0-60 difference, we are not talking 911 here.
Exactly my thoughts. Took the words right out of my mind.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
Exactly my thoughts. Took the words right out of my mind.
+1!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 PM
MV19
AutoX

Originally Posted by Galion

If you are satisfied with a "big heavy SUV" for your DD and you care more about comfort and luxury options, why not just buy the upcoming Mercedes GLE 450? It is more luxurious, has more power (362hp / 369 lb-ft.), and costs less than the Base Cayenne. But if you instead option a Cayenne S for $95k-$99k, I think you receive the best bang for your buck. You get all of the comfort/luxury features of the Premium Package Plus, which gets you to around $93k, and then you have $2k-$7k to spend on other options of your choice. A lightly optioned Cayenne S is a sweet spot in the Cayenne lineup.

Last edited by MV19; 02-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I couldn't agree more! I own the Mercedes ML 350 now and it's a fine car but as my wife said it's no Porsche cayenne S. It's a nice daily driver but lacks the oomph that the Cayenne S brings to the game! I wouldn't even consider the the new GLE 450 because of that fact It's not as performance oriented as a Porsche.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

I haven't driven an S yet, but I have driven a base Cayenne several times. the base has more than enough power, but where I feel it lets you down is rounding a corner and then getting back on the throttle. There seems to be a bit of a "dead spot" that I find a annoying. I went on to read a few reviews that called out the same issue. The reviewers then drove an S and said the engine was quicker to engage when the throttle is depressed than the base. I'll be able to compare for myself when my local dealer gets an S in stock. If you haven't noticed this "dead area" just off idle (or you have, and it doesn't bother you), then the S is a great choice. If you have noticed it, according to a few reviewers, the S eliminates that "problem". Other than that issue, I felt the base car had more than enough performance.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I haven't driven an S yet, but I have driven a base Cayenne several times. the base has more than enough power, but where I feel it lets you down is rounding a corner and then getting back on the throttle. There seems to be a bit of a "dead spot" that I find a annoying. I went on to read a few reviews that called out the same issue. The reviewers then drove an S and said the engine was quicker to engage when the throttle is depressed than the base. I'll be able to compare for myself when my local dealer gets an S in stock. If you haven't noticed this "dead area" just off idle (or you have, and it doesn't bother you), then the S is a great choice. If you have noticed it, according to a few reviewers, the S eliminates that "problem". Other than that issue, I felt the base car had more than enough performance.
Its probably the extra torque the S brings that makes that “problem” less noticeable. I picked the S due to the extra power after changing from a 2012 Cayenne Turbo. I drove the base and its very good. The 2019 base has more HP than the first generation turbo, which is unbelievable. I think the choice is really subjective. I really like having the extra power, but I probably don’t need it !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why you should purchase an S model