Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New base cayenne - first time buyer, feel free to comment

Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New base cayenne - first time buyer, feel free to comment

after a Long time back and forth, I’ve finally decided to go ahead with my Porsche Cayenne. Below are my dilemma and also the reason why I finally chose the the option I chose.

1. Cayenne vs cayenne S: I choose the cayenne base, after test driving both the previous and current generation, the current base is good enough. Also jb4 will launch a tune soon that’s ill give around 35-40hp

2. Partial leather vs smooth: This is the hardest choice, but finally I went with beige Mojave interior partial leather. See reason below

3. Seats: I choose 14 way comfort because the leather is much better. If you choose this option but get the partial leather interior, the seat will be smooth leather finish.

4. Gloss black and model delete

5. Ambient lighting

6. Bose

7. Surround parking

8. Tinted lights

9. No PASM and air suspension because I’m thinking of just buying the normal lowering springs as I read for previous generation that the ride quality wasn’t very affected.

10. Color: decided with the free white instead of metallic. This one is purely because of cost but not sure what others think.

in singapore all options are at least 2.5x the cost hence I’m quite calculative hehe

Thanks all for your input.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKDJDR37

please let me know your thoughts!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Please don’t install aftermarket lowering springs on your expensive new Cayenne, 958 Eibach and H&R springs were terrible, been there done that, it affected the ride really bad.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the S. The upgraded power kit won’t change the sound unless you’re not into that. I wouldn’t own a quiet Porsche. The sound is almost more important than the power. I test drove the base and for me it was boring. It didn’t feel as soulful as the S and I occasionally tow, which the base would be very lacking over hill/mountain passes.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclenut1
I occasionally tow, which the base would be very lacking over hill/mountain passes.
Please expand upon your comment. Both the base and S have the same towing capacity of 7700 lbs. Is it a torque issue? Would the base have difficulty over hill/mountain passes? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by porscherex
Please expand upon your comment. Both the base and S have the same towing capacity of 7700 lbs. Is it a torque issue? Would the base have difficulty over hill/mountain passes? Thanks.
Sorry it was rushed as i was rushed. When i went in to test drive both the S and base I sparked up a conversation with a gentleman about his new Cayenne. He was pretty happy with his base Cayenne but was not happy when he was towing his 23’ Cobalt from dry storage to South Carolina. He said the Cayenne was hunting gears and had a tough time keeping speed over the Smokies. From the sounds of it, he’ll be trading in his base for an S in the next 12mo. as it’s his primary tow vehicle.

I personally wouldn’t buy the base simply based on the torque and low HP for that price range compared to what you can get from other luxury brands with more power. A Cayenne in the 80k+ territory doing 0-60 in 6secs is slow in today’s luxo suv world and you can certainly feel and hear difference once you jump into an S. The S is just so snappy for a V-6 and since we don’t have an autobahn in the U.S, having that snappiness is a benefit... Plus fun. If I had endless money and not two colleges to pay for, kids braces, school, etc etc the Turbo would be the one for me to get,

Last edited by Cyclenut1; 02-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Cyclenut1 for the feedback.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Galion
Pro

Base or S would never be my primary towing car, theres much better SUVs for that task, said that I tested both extensively, yes S is faster but not noticeable under normal driving conditions, the Base lost punch over 6.500rpm while the S kept going. There’s no longer a huge gap in power feel between Base and S like in the previous generation.
Btw, Porsche numbers are very conservative nowadays, C&D was very impressed with the Base, not 6 sec but 4.8 sec from 0-60, that’s gen 1 Cayenne Turbo territory, not a slouch by any means. I guess my butt Dyno wasn’t wrong after all.
I am an S guy , never bought a Base Porsche in my life, but this new Base Cayenne really impressed me, it will never leave me thinking if I made the right choice. Kudos to everyone who bought an S, but don’t underestimate the Base. It’s such a great all around performer.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Galion
Base or S would never be my primary towing car, theres much better SUVs for that task, said that I tested both extensively, yes S is faster but not noticeable under normal driving conditions, the Base lost punch over 6.500rpm while the S kept going. There’s no longer a huge gap in power feel between Base and S like in the previous generation.
Btw, Porsche numbers are very conservative nowadays, C&D was very impressed with the Base, not 6 sec but 4.8 sec from 0-60, that’s gen 1 Cayenne Turbo territory, not a slouch by any means. I guess my butt Dyno wasn’t wrong after all.
I am an S guy , never bought a Base Porsche in my life, but this new Base Cayenne really impressed me, it will never leave me thinking if I made the right choice. Kudos to everyone who bought an S, but don’t underestimate the Base. It’s such a great all around performer.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Car and Driver was testing the Cayenne S and Turbo. No freaking way the base does 4.8. Read the article from the beginning more carefully and you’ll see they were referring to the S but made the mistake later in article calling the engine a 3.0 liter. And no, they are not that close in quickness, I drove them back to back.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Galion
Pro

Car and Driver was testing the Cayenne S and Turbo. No freaking way the base does 4.8. Read the article from the beginning more carefully and you’ll see they were referring to the S but made the mistake later in article calling the engine a 3.0 liter. And no, they are not that close in quickness, I drove them back to back.
Huh? Read it again, Cayenne S is 2.9 , Base is 3.0,
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Galion
Huh? Read it again, Cayenne S is 2.9 , Base is 3.0,
No kidding, they confused the two in the article.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? The title of the article is

The Entry-Level 2019 Porsche Cayenne Deserves Your Attention

Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by FyteOn
Huh? The title of the article is

The Entry-Level 2019 Porsche Cayenne Deserves Your Attention

I realize that but the base is not getting 4.8sec. EVERY other reviewer has claimed closer to 6sec. This article has to be a mistake or they need to show video proof. Based on this, you all believe the Cayenne S goes 0-60 in the mid to high 3’s. 🙄 Which must mean the Turbo is hitting in the 2’s or very low 3’s. Not. Don’t blindly believe the first article you read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...unwrapped/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...e%3fsource=dam

Last edited by Cyclenut1; 02-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when is a 2ton SUV slow at 6 sec. to 60... My forthcoming base Cayenne will have the job of towing a 2ton exhibition trailer approx. 10 times a year.. and occasionally a twin axle caravan. If you find the gearbox hunting between ratios.. simply put it in manual. There is plenty of power in the base for towing.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott Cowan
Since when is a 2ton SUV slow at 6 sec. to 60... My forthcoming base Cayenne will have the job of towing a 2ton exhibition trailer approx. 10 times a year.. and occasionally a twin axle caravan. If you find the gearbox hunting between ratios.. simply put it in manual. There is plenty of power in the base for towing.

Look at the Audi sq7,GLE400,500,63, X50i, G550,G63, Jeep Cherokee srt, trackhawk, Etc etc etc. So yes, the Porsche base is slow in today’s age of hot suvs. If you are towing, why not buy a more powerful version? The S seems to fit that all around hp/torque category. If you’re towing a long twin axle caravan, the Porsche is definitely not the best tow vehicle. Better off with a longer wheel base truck. Does the Porsche you own have sway control?

Last edited by Cyclenut1; 02-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

I realize that but the base is not getting 4.8 sec...
Dude. That’s what Car and Driver published. You’re getting into dangerous territory when you start insisting they made a mistake, without providing any real evidence. It’s particularly galling that you insist their mistake is TESTING THE WRONG CAR, when the header clearly indicates they are referring to the base model. Please.

I’ve driven two base 2019 Cayennes. Both were far ballsier than I expected. I could see either of them hitting 60 in the five-second range, relative to our Turbo (~3.7 seconds) and SS (~4.5 seconds).

I have not driven an S and will refrain comment. But as another person posted in this thread, it is a well-known fact that Porsche understates horsepower and performance figures as a general rule.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New base cayenne - first time buyer, feel free to comment