Sponsored By:

New base cayenne - first time buyer, feel free to comment

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Dude. That’s what Car and Driver published. You’re getting into dangerous territory when you start insisting they made a mistake, without providing any real evidence. It’s particularly galling that you insist their mistake is TESTING THE WRONG CAR, when the header clearly indicates they are referring to the base model. Please.

I’ve driven two base 2019 Cayennes. Both were far ballsier than I expected. I could see either of them hitting 60 in the five-second range, relative to our Turbo (~3.7 seconds) and SS (~4.5 seconds).

I have not driven an S and will refrain comment. But as another person posted in this thread, it is a well-known fact that Porsche understates horsepower and performance figures as a general rule.
They don’t underrate 0-60 by a full second. Show me where they have in the past. Even Porsche is not to proud to show off a single turbo 3.0 getting up that quick. I posted two other links stating the opposite of Car and Driver. I could have easily listed 20 more. Just do a little research.

Last edited by Cyclenut1; 02-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cyclenut1

I realize that but the base is not getting 4.8sec. EVERY other reviewer has claimed closer to 6sec. This article has to be a mistake or they need to show video proof. Based on this, you all believe the Cayenne S goes 0-60 in the mid to high 3’s. 🙄 Which must mean the Turbo is hitting in the 2’s or very low 3’s. Not. Don’t blindly believe the first article you read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...unwrapped/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...e%3fsource=dam

No issue with the links you posted, the only thing is both those links report times that are officially put out by Porsche. Neither of those have times that they got through their own testing, unlike C&D, who are reporting the time that they got through their own test runs of the Base Cayenne.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Look at the Audi sq7,GLE400,500,63, X50i, G550,G63, Jeep Cherokee srt, trackhawk, Etc etc etc. So yes, the Porsche base is slow in today’s age of hot suvs. If you are towing, why not buy a more powerful version? The S seems to fit that all around hp/torque category. If you’re towing a long twin axle caravan, the Porsche is definitely not the best tow vehicle. Better off with a longer wheel base truck. Does the Porsche you own have sway control?
In answer to your question, I'm not sure. I do have the electrically deployable towball, but other than that I don't know. If you tow all the time, then maybe perhaps go for the S if you're tackling mountainous terrain, but if it's ultimately necessary to upgrade, I have my doubts. With 8 gear ratios and a turbo engine delivering its max. torque at 1300 rpm, only the steepest inclines will slow you down. 335hp and 339lb/ft torque is still ample to get 95% of job done. Granted, I get what you're saying from a performance pov compared to other rivals, and in addition each market will have a different product offering with the US having a wider choice. However a Porsche product is tangibly better to drive.. I've driven the Q7, various Mercedes SUV's and currently own an X5 40d (diesel with 313hp / 457lbft torque), but none of them do anything for me on an emotional level, and when you're paying that kind of money, you want something a little bit special. The Porsche option, even in base form will engage the driver for more of the time and that (for me) is surely more important than outright performance, which, lets face it is still more than enough. Also, all the aforementioned rivals you mention are considerably more expensive (where I am at least) apart from the GLE400. In the end an extended test drive in both is the best thing to do, irrespective of what we both think.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott Cowan
In answer to your question, I'm not sure. I do have the electrically deployable towball, but other than that I don't know. If you tow all the time, then maybe perhaps go for the S if you're tackling mountainous terrain, but if it's ultimately necessary to upgrade, I have my doubts. With 8 gear ratios and a turbo engine delivering its max. torque at 1300 rpm, only the steepest inclines will slow you down. 335hp and 339lb/ft torque is still ample to get 95% of job done. Granted, I get what you're saying from a performance pov compared to other rivals, and in addition each market will have a different product offering with the US having a wider choice. However a Porsche product is tangibly better to drive.. I've driven the Q7, various Mercedes SUV's and currently own an X5 40d (diesel with 313hp / 457lbft torque), but none of them do anything for me on an emotional level, and when you're paying that kind of money, you want something a little bit special. The Porsche option, even in base form will engage the driver for more of the time and that (for me) is surely more important than outright performance, which, lets face it is still more than enough. Also, all the aforementioned rivals you mention are considerably more expensive (where I am at least) apart from the GLE400. In the end an extended test drive in both is the best thing to do, irrespective of what we both think.
I hear you. The Porsche Cayenne is a real winner in my eyes as well. The base is a big setup from previous years. I’m a young 42yr. old who still likes power and fill even clipped not being allowed to get the Turbo version. Lol Sitting in the cockpit just feels right in any Cayenne level. My wife would prefer the full size RR V8 SC but I think she would complain if I’m visiting the service center more than being home. Lol
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

This is quite a good review, very detailed. At 27min. in to the test, the driving part begins.. doesn't sound bad either.. from a Brits pov!
and I would agree with Cyclenut.. 4.8sec. is a bit optimistic. With Sportschrono engaged the time recorded was 6.2 to 100km/h (62mph)

Old 02-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

I hear you. The Porsche Cayenne is a real winner in my eyes as well. The base is a big setup from previous years. I’m a young 42yr. old who still likes power and fill even clipped not being allowed to get the Turbo version. Lol Sitting in the cockpit just feels right in any Cayenne level. My wife would prefer the full size RR V8 SC but I think she would complain if I’m visiting the service center more than being home. Lol
Being British, we tend to buy German LOL.. Range Rovers in any form are chronically unreliable..
Nice to have a good friendly discussion! I'm 44 and a bit spoiled.. when the need for speed calls my 991.2 (911) C2S gives me my kicks.. I never feel compelled to really thrash an SUV. I've had two Macan S and my last Cayenne was the S Diesel with 4.2L twin turbo V8 (385hp / 627lb/ft torque..). Yes, the base doesn't come close to the Cayenne I once had, but I wasn't left feeling that the new base needed more. We're all different and I appreciate that. It would be a boring world otherwise!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott Cowan
Being British, we tend to buy German LOL.. Range Rovers in any form are chronically unreliable..
Nice to have a good friendly discussion! I'm 44 and a bit spoiled.. when the need for speed calls my 991.2 (911) C2S gives me my kicks.. I never feel compelled to really thrash an SUV. I've had two Macan S and my last Cayenne was the S Diesel with 4.2L twin turbo V8 (385hp / 627lb/ft torque..). Yes, the base doesn't come close to the Cayenne I once had, but I wasn't left feeling that the new base needed more. We're all different and I appreciate that. It would be a boring world otherwise!
Thank you for posting the link. I like him and have watched his other reviews as well and was just about to post a video link of another 0-60 showing a very similar time but now that would be redundant. I am not bashing the base Porsche as it serves a great purpose If I didnt come from(used to) high power sounding cars(namely AMG) i would find the base a great Porsche value that makes the most “logical” or “practical”(lol) sense. I am a Land Cruiser “200 series” owner and can’t swallow owning a RR with well known poor reliability history and get skewered from my other LC owning friends.

I wasn’t trying to be rude to anyone regarding 0-60 times, i just get annoyed when car articles print garbage and people immediately buy into them without researching a little more before claiming it as fact. I wish the base was a 4.8 suv, so the S I get would run into the very low 4 to high 3’s. That would be insane for a twin turbo V-6 at 4,700lbs.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

I think part of the issue is some in the Porsche crowd don't want to say they have a base Cayenne. S allows them to say it's not base without spending much more and you get a little more vehicle.

I don't have a Porsche DD but will likely get a base Cayenne. Drove one and it's plenty good for DD duties. Wasn't expecting it. S wasn't available here at the time.

Quick Reply: New base cayenne - first time buyer, feel free to comment