Sponsored By:

MUST MUST HAVE option for Cayenne Base?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:11 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Smoking package was always a good idea on any Porsche because it completed the look of the center console, and in both cases the ashtray or cubby-hole were ridicously sized only good for some spare change. In the 2019 Cayenne, the matt black ashtray lid looks out of place with the glossy touch console, and now for the first time you can put a big phone in the cubby hole, you get the same number of 12V outlets instead of cigarette lighters, so unless you are a smoker I wouldn’t get it
Agree 100%.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

How are the standard interior on new cayenne like guys? Is it still rubbery dash that makes the car look cheap? or did it get better in this gen?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

One of my must have options for the Base Cayenne, standard on the S and cheap as chips.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
How are the standard interior on new cayenne like guys? Is it still rubbery dash that makes the car look cheap? or did it get better in this gen?
Can't really relate to the previous-gen Cayenne, as we only test drove two of them briefly. But I've been in several 2019 Cayennes, including spending the last week with a base loaner with the standard leatherette interior in beige / black. No contrast stitching. The dash felt cheap and as you say, rubbery. The leather was thick and vinyl-like. It was woefully out of place in an $80K car.

I've sat in two other Cayennes with the upgraded leather interior. One was all-black; the other, Bordeaux Red. Both were a major step up in quality, especially in the dash area. The contrast stitching on the Bordeax Red added a nice touch. The leather was noticeably more supple.

We spec'd our Turbo with Cohiba / Truffle Club Leather. We feel it is worth the expense. The leather is butter-smooth and soft, with a wonderful scent that makes us smile every time we get in the car. It's about three grades up the scale over the upgraded leather. And it makes the leatherette stuff look like it belongs in a Kia Rio -- a base, stripper model at that.

Get the upgraded leather, at minimum. It's worth every dollar that Porsche extorts from you.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:56 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am speccing a Cayenne Base as a new DD.

Will be driven in a snowy region so I am not trying to invest much money into it and make it look as "best bang for the buck" as possible

Here is my options

1. Metallic Paint - debating between Quarzite Grey Metallic, Moonlight Blue Metallic and Biscay Blue Metallic. Any suggestions?

2. Wheel - either 20 inch Cayenne Design Wheel or 21 inch RS Spyder Wheel. I think spyder wheel def looks cooler but at a much higher price? Is it worth it?

3. All Season Tire - must have option

4. Two Tone Leather Interior - Black and Beige

5. Premium Package Plus - Must have front seat ventiation to keep my *** cool.

6. 18 way sports seat - extra $490 CAD over 14 way power seat. Worth it?

7. Smoking Package - a must.

Here is a P-code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PKQFZY88

What do you guys think? It is going to be a DD and I honestly don't think I need PASM, Air suspension and all that fancy stuff.

At an msrp of 97250 CAD which is ~74000 USD, I think it is a very reasonable build (thanks to cheaper p-car in Canada)

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
How ya doing Ascend... I’m picking up my ‘19 base this week and spec’d mine very similar to yours, it too wil be my daily.

My build -

Metallic black / base black leather
PP plus
14-way seats
21 Spyder wheels w painted wheel arches
black window trim
black roof rails
Optional parking camera thing-a-ma-jig
insulated glass

the only option I’m kinda depressed I didn’t order is PASM. My 911 really soaks up the bumps and I’m thinking I might have made a boo boo not adding that to my build. Hopefully the stock suspension setup isn't harsh. Other than that I recommend the 14-way seats as I think they’re the more comfortable seat and appropriate for the base trim.

I think the 21’ Spyders are the best looking rim for the base/S and worth the extra coin but that’s totally subjective.

-your American friend
Old 01-29-2019, 01:46 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
One of my must have options for the Base Cayenne, standard on the S and cheap as chips.

How much/how did you install these pedals? They're only $50 on Suncoast but I hope labor to install isn't too much...
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
How much/how did you install these pedals? They're only $50 on Suncoast but I hope labor to install isn't too much...
Easy peasy DIY, these are rubber covers with SS inserts, just pull off your plain rubber covers and slip these on.

Last edited by Galion; 01-29-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Can't really relate to the previous-gen Cayenne, as we only test drove two of them briefly. But I've been in several 2019 Cayennes, including spending the last week with a base loaner with the standard leatherette interior in beige / black. No contrast stitching. The dash felt cheap and as you say, rubbery. The leather was thick and vinyl-like. It was woefully out of place in an $80K car.

I've sat in two other Cayennes with the upgraded leather interior. One was all-black; the other, Bordeaux Red. Both were a major step up in quality, especially in the dash area. The contrast stitching on the Bordeax Red added a nice touch. The leather was noticeably more supple.

We spec'd our Turbo with Cohiba / Truffle Club Leather. We feel it is worth the expense. The leather is butter-smooth and soft, with a wonderful scent that makes us smile every time we get in the car. It's about three grades up the scale over the upgraded leather. And it makes the leatherette stuff look like it belongs in a Kia Rio -- a base, stripper model at that.

Get the upgraded leather, at minimum. It's worth every dollar that Porsche extorts from you.
Oh yeah, seems like leather is a must have. Been in a std interior 911 and rubber dash does look cheap.

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88

How ya doing Ascend... I’m picking up my ‘19 base this week and spec’d mine very similar to yours, it too wil be my daily.

My build -

Metallic black / base black leather
PP plus
14-way seats
21 Spyder wheels w painted wheel arches
black window trim
black roof rails
Optional parking camera thing-a-ma-jig
insulated glass

the only option I’m kinda depressed I didn’t order is PASM. My 911 really soaks up the bumps and I’m thinking I might have made a boo boo not adding that to my build. Hopefully the stock suspension setup isn't harsh. Other than that I recommend the 14-way seats as I think they’re the more comfortable seat and appropriate for the base trim.

I think the 21’ Spyders are the best looking rim for the base/S and worth the extra coin but that’s totally subjective.

-your American friend
Thanks bud! First time moving to cold part of Canada. Hopefully it's not too cold up there. I am debating about ACC + LKA. Hopefully it works like Tesla's auto pilot. Debated about PASM but way too expensive.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to get the upgraded leather but having a newborn and everyone says to just get the standard leather. It will be more durable over time.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Oh yeah, seems like leather is a must have. Been in a std interior 911 and rubber dash does look cheap.

Thanks bud! First time moving to cold part of Canada. Hopefully it's not too cold up there. I am debating about ACC + LKA. Hopefully it works like Tesla's auto pilot. Debated about PASM but way too expensive.
I am also debating PASM. When I test drove the S with PASM it seemed to be a little more comfortable of a ride then the base without PASM. Nick in his options video mentions that PASM should only stiffen the ride and make it more sporty. Doesn't the car come with a comfort setting that you can adjust in the console? Do you think that will be enough? For 2,000, PASM seems over priced in my opinion. But then again aren't all these options "over priced!?"
Old 01-29-2019, 04:15 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Don’t know if you care but the available tires for the 21” are only pirellis, and performance is average at best for their all seasons
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
Don’t know if you care but the available tires for the 21” are only pirellis, and performance is average at best for their all seasons
I think I'm set on getting the 21" RS Spyder Design wheels and the standard tires that come with it.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
I am also debating PASM. When I test drove the S with PASM it seemed to be a little more comfortable of a ride then the base without PASM. Nick in his options video mentions that PASM should only stiffen the ride and make it more sporty. Doesn't the car come with a comfort setting that you can adjust in the console? Do you think that will be enough? For 2,000, PASM seems over priced in my opinion. But then again aren't all these options "over priced!?"
Yes to your last question. But regarding PASM: I would not order a Cayenne without it. This is our second vehicle with active dampers. Both were transformed with them. Yes, the ride can indeed stiffen if you ask for it. But that's not really the point of this type of engineering. Because both jounce and rebound are adjustable, the ride smooths out perceptibly over rough, uneven surfaces no matter what state of tune you call up via the electronics.

We have driven both of our cars with and without active dampers -- our Cayenne Turbo in base Cayenne form without PASM, and our Chevy SS sedan before GM added the Corvette's magetorheological shocks as standard in MY 2016. The latter rode like a damned go-cart on standard shocks -- the suspension was obviously tuned for the track, and it beat the crap out of us so badly that we didn't even consider buying the car. Adding those shocks in two years after we drove it created a supple but firm suspension tune that had us writing a check immediately.

The Cayenne's base steel-sprung, passive-damper suspension is already tuned miles ahead of that early model SS we drove. The brand-new 2019 loaner we had for a week recently rode pleasantly, although the suspension did have noticeable harshness over washboard surfaces. When we handed it off in exchange for our Turbo, the improvement in ride and handling was noticeable and immediate. Even in Sport Plus mode, with the suspension lowered and everything firmed up to max, the car still eats up ruts and potholes. You feel them, of course. But the suspension evens out the impact and minimizes the jarring that we noticed in the base car.

How much of the improvement is from PASM versus the air suspension is anybody's guess. And there have been numerous posts from people worried (rightfully so, I think) about repair costs down the line, particularly with the air suspension. But at a minimum, I would not hesitate to drop the $2K on PASM. It's brilliant, and for a Porsche option, downright cheap!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Yes to your last question. But regarding PASM: I would not order a Cayenne without it. This is our second vehicle with active dampers. Both were transformed with them. Yes, the ride can indeed stiffen if you ask for it. But that's not really the point of this type of engineering. Because both jounce and rebound are adjustable, the ride smooths out perceptibly over rough, uneven surfaces no matter what state of tune you call up via the electronics.

We have driven both of our cars with and without active dampers -- our Cayenne Turbo in base Cayenne form without PASM, and our Chevy SS sedan before GM added the Corvette's magetorheological shocks as standard in MY 2016. The latter rode like a damned go-cart on standard shocks -- the suspension was obviously tuned for the track, and it beat the crap out of us so badly that we didn't even consider buying the car. Adding those shocks in two years after we drove it created a supple but firm suspension tune that had us writing a check immediately.

The Cayenne's base steel-sprung, passive-damper suspension is already tuned miles ahead of that early model SS we drove. The brand-new 2019 loaner we had for a week recently rode pleasantly, although the suspension did have noticeable harshness over washboard surfaces. When we handed it off in exchange for our Turbo, the improvement in ride and handling was noticeable and immediate. Even in Sport Plus mode, with the suspension lowered and everything firmed up to max, the car still eats up ruts and potholes. You feel them, of course. But the suspension evens out the impact and minimizes the jarring that we noticed in the base car.

How much of the improvement is from PASM versus the air suspension is anybody's guess. And there have been numerous posts from people worried (rightfully so, I think) about repair costs down the line, particularly with the air suspension. But at a minimum, I would not hesitate to drop the $2K on PASM. It's brilliant, and for a Porsche option, downright cheap!
Thank you so much for sharing your very detailed feedback. Now you got me sold on it! Would you choose PASM over ACC is you could only have one?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
Thank you so much for sharing your very detailed feedback. Now you got me sold on it! Would you choose PASM over ACC is you could only have one?
Picked up the truck yesterday - 21’ inch rims, standard steel coils, no PASM, and base engine

What a great truck... I can honestly say do not worry one bit how you build your vehicle. You’ll
love it with or without PASM, or any other one option you’re on the fence with. And for anyone worried about the lowly base engine vs the S or Turbo, don’t! The base engine cooks!

Now I just have to figure out how to use all the new P technology

Quick Reply: MUST MUST HAVE option for Cayenne Base?