Sponsored By:

Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:02 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Towing Capacity

The Cayenne's towing capacity for all models is 7700 lbs. I have the base Cayenne. I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer that weights approximately 7600 lbs which includes the trailer weight and the weight of the gear/luggage that goes in it. Obviously on paper the Cayenne can handle this trailer, but as a practical matter is 7600 lbs too much for the Cayenne to work properly? Trailer tongue weight is just under the max tongue weight recommended for the Cayenne. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
donschaefer (03-13-2024)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems they may have understated the towing capacity a bit...

​​​​​​

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Gmoe01
Seems they may have understated the towing capacity a bit...

​​​​​​
😂. But the Airstream trailer that I'm looking at is bigger than that little plane.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Seriously though, when Porsche engineers to a specification, my guess is, there will be a significant safety margin. I'm waiting for an E-Hybrid, which will be my first Porsche, and everything I read indicates that they over engineer just about everything. They are using a torque converter in this version of the 8-speed Tiptronic, specifically for towing power, so my guess is that the vehicle will handle 7700 bls under any conditions.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Love that video. But I do agree based on everything I've read about Porsche over the years that the 7700-pound rated limit is probably conservative. Seems like across the product lineup for as long as I can remember, Porsche plays coy with horsepower numbers, acceleration figures, you name it. I mentioned in another thread that Car & Driver just tested a base 2019 Cayenne and walked away with a 4.8-second zero to 60 time.

Were I you, I wouldn't even hesitate pulling that trailer. I bet they tested the car with 12,000 pounds or more before settling on their nice, safe, reasonable, Teutonic number of 7700 pounds.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

it shouldn't have a problem doing it, but since the cayenne is not huge, you may get some sway. I'd consider a weight distributing hitch for better manners while towing heavily.

And I don't think porsche builds a huge safety margin into their towing. 7700lbs is pretty damn high for a unibody SUV
Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
The Cayenne's towing capacity for all models is 7700 lbs. I have the base Cayenne. I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer that weights approximately 7600 lbs which includes the trailer weight and the weight of the gear/luggage that goes in it. Obviously on paper the Cayenne can handle this trailer, but as a practical matter is 7600 lbs too much for the Cayenne to work properly? Trailer tongue weight is just under the max tongue weight recommended for the Cayenne. Thanks.
Towing capacity is more than just the 7700 lb rating and 770 lb tongue weight rating. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (the max weight of the tow vehicle), Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (max weight of the tow vehicle and trailer), and Gross Axle Weight Limit (max load one axle can carry) also have to be considered. These numbers are located on the door jab sticker.

It's not uncommon for the full tow capacity to be possible only when there is a minimum load (which includes humans) in the tow vehicle. So to use your example if you have a 7600 lb trailer with a 760 lb tongue weight plus 4 people, luggage, and a cooler full of ice in the tow vehicle it's possible you've exceed the gross axle weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle AND the gross combined weight. Exceeding the rear axle weight can result in dangerous handling since there's reduced load on the front of the tow vehicle. Exceeding the gross combined weight is potentially dangerous because it exceeds the capabilities of the tow vehicle, especially the brakes but also cooling, transmission, etc.

Finally, you didn't mention but I assume you'd be using a brake controller.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

According to the car engineers at "Howstuffworks", this is the rule for cars in the US: "Passenger weight exceeding 150 lbs., optional equipment, and additional cargo should be calculated and added" into the max towing capacity.

Still don't know if that's the rule for Porsche. Or the size of their safety margin. Remember, the E-Hybrid, which weighs 500lbs more than the rest of the Cayennes, with most of that excess weight over the rear wheels, has the same 7700 lb towing capacity. As with everything else, you might get a good answer from your SA.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks everyone. Towing capacity is more complex than I realized. I will hit the books and study it.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased the towing hitch option, ID6, for my wife's Cayenne. It comes with a 7 pin electrical connection. I see there are four phillips head screws covering a plate over the electrical wire harness hook up. I removed the cover screws, and unclipped the cover from the harness. Now the harness just hangs loose.?

Is this the normal 7 pin trailer connection ready or do I need to purchase some kind of adapter and physical mount with the spring loaded lid to keep clean?

The aluminum car trailer I need isn't at my home and its been so long, I can't remember what standard 7 pin connection configuration looks like.
My plan is to haul classic cars to shows from time-to-time with the Cayenne. I do not plan to install a brake controller since most of the hauling will be at modest highway speeds and not in mountainous areas.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:40 PM
BOCO
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkiwanta928
I purchased the towing hitch option, ID6, for my wife's Cayenne. It comes with a 7 pin electrical connection. I see there are four phillips head screws covering a plate over the electrical wire harness hook up. I removed the cover screws, and unclipped the cover from the harness. Now the harness just hangs loose.?

Is this the normal 7 pin trailer connection ready or do I need to purchase some kind of adapter and physical mount with the spring loaded lid to keep clean?

The aluminum car trailer I need isn't at my home and its been so long, I can't remember what standard 7 pin connection configuration looks like.
My plan is to haul classic cars to shows from time-to-time with the Cayenne. I do not plan to install a brake controller since most of the hauling will be at modest highway speeds and not in mountainous areas.
Suncoast Has a trailer pug harness mount that plugs into the wiring harness and screws into the bracket. It also has a hinged cover on it. It's under the towing system category for the 2019 Cayenne on Suncoast's website.http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...ENNETURBO.html
Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM
thinkiwanta928
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Towing lights cable adapter

Originally Posted by BOCO
Suncoast Has a trailer pug harness mount that plugs into the wiring harness and screws into the bracket. It also has a hinged cover on it. It's under the towing system category for the 2019 Cayenne on Suncoast's website.http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...ENNETURBO.html
Thank you! I'll order it up. I see they also sell the harness to add a brake controller too.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkiwanta928
Thank you! I'll order it up. I see they also sell the harness to add a brake controller too.
Don't bother, get the Prodigy wireless controller.

We used that, some clamp on aero towing mirrors and the Andersen weight distribution/anti-sway hitch when towing our boxy camper 4600 miles to Banff and back.

The hitch worked so well that even when oncoming big-rigs folded our mirrors in, the trailer never swayed! On multiple occasions we cruised at 80mph without issue across windy Montana.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548775984&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=prodigy+wireless+brake+controller&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548775984&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=prodigy+wireless+brake+controller&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X21B0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X21B0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon Amazon

These items made towing easy!

Last edited by Mr. Merk; 01-29-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:08 PM
porscherex
Pro

Mr Merk - which model Cayenne and year do you have?

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity