Sponsored By:

PDLS plus headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Turboace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDLS plus headlights

Has anyone else noticed that when on low beam the lights have a very sharp cutoff and that they only light up maybe 50 yards or so of road, and beyond that is dark? On high beam they seem to do a much better job. I also don’t see the lights swiveling when I turn or side lights working like they did in my 2013.

I inderstand the advanced functionality of the PDLS plus headlights are currently restricted in the USA but am hopeful that will be changing soon and that PORSCHE will be able to reprogram the lights with that additional technology.

In in the meantime is there any way to adjust the lights?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM
ufmike316
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. The headlights do not have a step in the beam pattern, or a hot spot, making down road vision poor. There is a screw easily accessible when you pop the hood allowing you to adjust them up. I adjusted mine up a bit and it helped. Just be careful not to adjust them up too much. When aiming them, a small adjustment in height on a wall 25 feet away is a large adjustment to a car 200 yards away.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ufmike316
Yes. The headlights do not have a step in the beam pattern, or a hot spot, making down road vision poor. There is a screw easily accessible when you pop the hood allowing you to adjust them up. I adjusted mine up a bit and it helped. Just be careful not to adjust them up too much. When aiming them, a small adjustment in height on a wall 25 feet away is a large adjustment to a car 200 yards away.
I have noticed this too and was wondering whether the headlights were adjusted properly. My car’s in the shop right now for other issues and glitches, so I may ask service to check the headlights’ adjustment as long as it’s there.

Meanwhile, on a slight digression, my car has 3 other anomalies or glitches about which I brought the car into service to resolve. One glitch relates to the PCM (diamond button functionality not being displayed) requires a software update that the dealer says is coming from Germany and it’ll take 3 weeks. The two other glitches - a park assist problem (see my separate post) and a transmission downshift from 3rd to 2nd that surges the car forward) - were acknowledged by the dealer as not proper operation, but they are software-related and he can do nothing. He is opening cases with the Mothership to get their attention on the issues.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Turboace
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ufmike316
Are you talking like 1/4 turn or a full turn. Just trying to get an idea. My old Volvo V70R had the same issue with the xenon headlights. Took a while to get them to the point of being able to see vs. getting flashed by oncoming traffic.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Turboace
Intermediate

Is this the adjustment of which you speak?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 PM
ufmike316
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. I think I did 5 “twists” of the screwdriver. Each twist is probably half a turn. It was a little too high, so I backed it down 2 twists, and then it was a little too low. So maybe 2 full rotations? It’s easy enough to adjust you can keep playing with it til you find the seeet spot.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Does changing the aim of the low beams affect the high beams? Or are they independently adjustable?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Do you have the high beam assist on? They work excellent.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Yes - I keep high beam assist always activated in Auto mode. It works OK, but I’ve found it doesn’t activate the high beams at local village speeds of around 30 mph (when the sharp cutoff of the low beams is particularly noticeable). Also, on a highway, high beam assist reverts to low beams if it sees any light ahead, no matter how distant. For instance, when driving a divided highway having a very large grassy median between the two directions of traffic, I’ve found that high beam assist turns off the high beams even though they plainly would not bother cars going the opposite way.

I believe - though I could be wrong, of course - that all of this will resolve when (if) the full Matrix LED functionality of PDLS+ is enabled in our cars when approved for the U.S. I’m hoping this will happen soon (like you, I already placed a $2000 bet on that hope when I opted to buy PDLS+).
Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Yes - I keep high beam assist always activated in Auto mode. It works OK, but I’ve found it doesn’t activate the high beams at local village speeds of around 30 mph (when the sharp cutoff of the low beams is particularly noticeable). Also, on a highway, high beam assist reverts to low beams if it sees any light ahead, no matter how distant. For instance, when driving a divided highway having a very large grassy median between the two directions of traffic, I’ve found that high beam assist turns off the high beams even though they plainly would not bother cars going the opposite way.

I believe - though I could be wrong, of course - that all of this will resolve when (if) the full Matrix LED functionality of PDLS+ is enabled in our cars when approved for the U.S. I’m hoping this will happen soon (like you, I already placed a $2000 bet on that hope when I opted to buy PDLS+).
Similar experiences here. I too think things will get better over time with software updates and the like. Our SA was all but certain as we took delivery that DOT would approve full matrix functionality. He just wasn't sure when. He said when it happens, it will be a free update.

Regarding your $2K bet: Even if we'd been told full matrix was never going to happen, we'd have sprung for the headlights anyway. They are incredible looking, and a big (subjective) improvement over the base units cosmetically, which look a little wimpy to us.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

And you can’t get high beam assist without the matrix head lights! That did it for me
Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 AM
azra
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

coudn't agree more that the PDLS + look much better in person than the standard LEDs.

I noticed though sometimes while parked and a wall is in front of me, the lights will flicker as if it is sensing something or an object approaching, has anyone else noticed this? it's really annoying and not sure if it's supposed to act like this or not.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue with the low beams. From my comparison between my 2016 CTT LED headlights and my 2019 PDLS+, the 2019 LED lights are slightly less bright than my 2016.
For those of you who have adjusted your low beams, did the 2 full turns make a difference without running into issues with blinding oncoming traffic?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 PM
atrac7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Bumping an old thread ..as a new cayenne owner, what is the quickest way to validate if my car has PDLS headlights....?
Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 AM
hdawg
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the only option is to have these in auto mode where they take care of the high beam etc (and rarely do anything in town driving) and fully manual mode. Or am i missing something?

Quick Reply: PDLS plus headlights