Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Front License Plate

Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Geraldem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Front License Plate

Well...I have the pleasure of living in a state that requires a front license plate. (NJ). Had a boxster and used one of the tow hook license plate holders before. Will the same work for new 2019 Cayenne...what are other using?

thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the fine for not having one ?

( also live part time and license some of my vehicles in a state requiring two... the other state, FL only requires one rear plate.
The fine for the dual plate state is 25 bucks.
You may imagine what I do.

Really, they don't even bother, but if I lived summers one state over I would be picked up all the time. And heavily fined.

With today's cruisers all running HALPR units ( license plate readers ) one wonders what the need for two plates really is ? I suspect it has an awful lot to do with 3M or whoever sells the reflective film for plates in your state, having strong lobbyists trying to increase their sales by double. Hammering away at DMV decision makers.

It always comes down to money. And we have to screw holes in the front of our cars and ruin the aesthetics because of someone else's greed....
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Fine probably varies state to state, but I never put my front plates on even though they are required in NY. I've never been pulled over for it. However, I could see an angry cop fining me for it if he's already pulled me over for excessive speeding...

I do always carry it in the vehicle though.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Fine probably varies state to state, but I never put my front plates on even though they are required in NY. I've never been pulled over for it.
Same here in our two-plate state. I've run around with no front in Texas since 1991. Even bought bumper plugs when a dealer drilled into the bumper to install the plate bracket on a car I bought off the lot. Never been pulled over for it, but did get questioned once during a speeding stop. I told the cop the car had recently been in a fender-bender and the plate was crumpled so badly it was useless to reinstall. No write-up for it, but he told me to get it replaced. (I never did.)

Not a fan of those barn doors cluttering up the front. One of the luxury dealers with whom we've done business for nearly two decades does not install the front plate bracket unless requested by the customer. That tells you all you need to know about enforcement in our area (Dallas-Fort Worth).
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I always put mine on. In MA, not having a front plate is a moving violation and any combination of three citations or accidents (even if not your fault) result in either suspension of your license or a visit to traffic school. The citations include stuff like not getting your inspection on time as well as the more serious things like speeding etc. Also increases your insurance for 6 years. Not worth the hassle for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 AM
MFC993
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had no front plates on my Jeeps for 10 years here in Ohio and got stopped once .. for a warning
Don't sweat it
Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Fly121
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone know where to purchase a 2019 Cayenne european license plate holder?
I have the euro license plate but need the bracket/plate to mount it against.
I've searched the internet with no luck yet.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in a state that required it and for those 8yrs we never had front plates. When i lived in the Boulder area “not in downtown Boulder” I met my wife for dinner in downtown Boulder and I almost always parked in the parking garage or valet but this time she had parked her Macan on the street and I parked right next to her. While sitting on the patio having dinner across from our cars, we watched the meter lady giving us both tickets for not having front plates. That added $50 to our dinner but never put the plates on. So just park in a parking garage if you have grumpy meter maids running around.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 PM
ThaiGuy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone here has put a no-drill plate holder that is attached to the tow hook? Any recommendation? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:31 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaiGuy
Anyone here has put a no-drill plate holder that is attached to the tow hook? Any recommendation? Thanks.
you need to disable the front sensors. i choose the oem plate holder.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:18 AM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile

Chicago is notorious for citations by trolling street parking and municipal lots. I go to O'Hare (airport) A LOT so I need a front plate. But I still didn't want to drill into the color-matched bumper.

There weren't any after-market holders specifically for the 2019s I could find. The tow-hook clearance is different from previous years. I corresponded with a couple of US manufacturers of the tow hook holders and they didn't have anything close.

My solution was to use a Sto-N-Show system from Big Mike's and modify it a bit to fit the 2019 Turbo. I took a kit meant for the 2017 Cayenne S, cut the mounting plate to fit within the black plastic under-fender, and bent the two arms to angle the face-plate to be perpendicular to the ground. I still HAD TO DRILL TWO HOLES into the plastic, but theyr'e inconspicuous under the fender. The black "front spoiler" is common to any color car and currently could be found for US$350 if I really needed to return the car to its original condition. I think I could've gotten away with drilling only ONE HOLE if I modified the new one-piece billet base plates for the Cayman, but the arms on the face-plate might have been too short for the Cayenne.

This set up gives enough clearance for the air-intakes, parking sensors, the Park Assist front camera, and the Adaptive Cruise Control "eye". If you're in a "may-shift" state, it gives a predictable target for LIDAR. The BIGGEST DOWNSIDE is that you can totally see the back of the license plate in the front view camera - which would be the same if you installed the genuine Porsche holder. It does clear the red "minimum clearance" line on the monitor, so you can still see how close you are to the garage wall.

If you're going to try this, some notes
- Bending the arms of the face-plate involves a light annealing process using a blow-torch. If you try to cold-bend it, you'll crack the aluminum.
- The double sided tape that comes with the kit may be brittle from vendor storage. Replace with 3M VHB tape (use WD-40 if you make a mistake).
- If you drive in the North, grease the arms before insertion. It will collect grime but will also prevent seizing caused by salt-ionized moisture.
- Use a plastic plate liner (that cheap thing with the car dealer's name) to protect the back of your plate from the environment.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They put the front license on mine here in California at the dealership. I wasn't even given an option. I figure the state must have new restrictions. There have been a lot of people using the dealer plates for years and driving in the toll lames illegally because their cars couldn't be identified. My dealer plate has a number just like a regular license plate....
Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo
They put the front license on mine here in California at the dealership. I wasn't even given an option. I figure the state must have new restrictions. There have been a lot of people using the dealer plates for years and driving in the toll lames illegally because their cars couldn't be identified. My dealer plate has a number just like a regular license plate....
The dealer plate is only temporary. Your permanent plate that you will receive in the mail is a completely different number.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:58 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geraldem
Well...I have the pleasure of living in a state that requires a front license plate. (NJ). Had a boxster and used one of the tow hook license plate holders before. Will the same work for new 2019 Cayenne...what are other using?

thanks
I’m in the NY tri-state (front plate is mandatory) and when I picked up my 911 the dealer left my front plate in the trunk and said not to mount it. That same dealer when I picked up the Cayenne drilled the bumper and mounted the front plate as the truck is a daily driver

I’m a happy clam
Old 03-05-2019, 02:34 AM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Here are some photos of my install of the Sto-n-Show.

No holes in the color-matched front bumper

Inconspicuous mounting plate in the black plastic

License plate clears all sensors and cameras
The following users liked this post:
thom94 (09-23-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Front License Plate