Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Burmester vs Bose

Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burmester or Bose?

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with the new for Cayenne & Panamera 21 speaker 3D Burmester system?

Is is it worth $$$ upgrade from standard Bose on the Turbo? How does Bose sound? Is it good enough or is Burmester a huge improvement?

Do either include a CD player?

What have have you ordered on your turbo builds? I have selected most of the performance options but now down to sound.

Mostly will be streaming from iPhone/iPad via usb or Bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:01 PM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burmester vs Bose

Hi All,

I just want to thank all of you for this great forum. I have learned so much from all of you. You have helped me move up the scale from a base, to an S and finally I just ordered a Turbo. Very excited! My build freeze is quickly approaching.

The latest and hopefully last decision I need to make is whether to upgrade to very expensive Burmester or stay with the standard Bose (which gets poor reviews from what I have read). I will be playing music via iPhone/ipad over BT or USB. Not sure if either system comes with a CD player. I currently have a Mark Levinson system and absolutely love it.

Plan to keep the Turbo for 8-10 years.

Any of you upgraded to Burmester? Is Bose acceptable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would listen to the Bose now. If that’s all you’re plying, I would think the Bose would be just fine. I had the ML in my GX, great system. Congrats on your turbo!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Nebie2p - I've merged your two threads since they are basically identical. Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question - it confuses people. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

There have been numerous posts on this in the 991 forum, pretty much comes down to the person. With most saying the difference in price isn’t enough to push them for anything more than Bose. Other point is if Bose isn’t enough, you can do an aftermarket upgrade for less than burmester system.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Congratulations on the Turbo, first of all. We're about to bust open waiting for ours. Early December can't get here soon enough.

We stayed with the Bose. My wife really liked the idea of the Burmeister. But neither of us are audiophiles. I do not know if our average ears would be able to tell the difference. If the premium was $2K or $3K, we'd have probably ordered it. But $6K was just too much for us without actually hearing the thing.

FWIW, we've had Bose stereos for years as the "upgraded" model in our cars and SUVs. They've always been above-average to quite good. I would not expect anything different with the Cayenne -- again, noting the fact that our ears are not particularly discerning. We DO care deeply about the sounds the car makes, which is why we dropped $3K on the Sport Exhaust.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
There have been numerous posts on this in the 991 forum, pretty much comes down to the person. With most saying the difference in price isn’t enough to push them for anything more than Bose. Other point is if Bose isn’t enough, you can do an aftermarket upgrade for less than burmester system.
You can’t compare a 991 cabin and a Cayenne cabin. Put it this way, if you sample a Burmester Cayenne, you won’t order Bose.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:49 AM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Every Porsche I ordered that had the Burm option, I clicked the box. It's worth every penny and is a considerable upgrade compared to the Bose. You don't need to be an audiophile to hear the difference. For a 991, I would say it can be a 50/50 option since the drives are going to be shorter and spirited. I would probably want to hear the symphony of the motor and exhaust in a 991 over some music or a podcast... The Cayenne and the Panamera (own a 2017 PTT with burm) I would say are longer distance drivers. I think the Burm is definitely worth it....
The following users liked this post:
ace67 (07-31-2020)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:32 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered the Burmester. On my 911 Turbo I went with the Bose and regret it. Sounds tinny even when playing from satellite radio.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
I ordered the Burmester. On my 911 Turbo I went with the Bose and regret it. Sounds tinny even when playing from satellite radio.

No Bose fan here at all, but satellite has to be some of the worst compressed signals you could run thru a audio system. Save this for talk shows.

In audio, it’s all about the source of your media. Try uncompressed, lossless music and you’ll be amazed at the difference. I also use Tidal streaming with settings on “hifi”, through USB. Port and not Bluetooth.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye

You can’t compare a 991 cabin and a Cayenne cabin. Put it this way, if you sample a Burmester Cayenne, you won’t order Bose.
I wasn’t comparing the cabin, just the fact that the topic is discussed regularly. That being said, does anyone have the bose and burmester break down of what components are used from their line ups?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

No Bose fan here at all, but satellite has to be some of the worst compressed signals you could run thru a audio system. Save this for talk shows.

In audio, it’s all about the source of your media. Try uncompressed, lossless music and you’ll be amazed at the difference. I also use Tidal streaming with settings on “hifi”, through USB. Port and not Bluetooth.
You are correct. I wrote my comment incorrectly. Bose is tinny for everything including uncompressed, lossless sources. I thought i might not notice in my 911 but I was wrong. I ended but changing out speakers etc. Would have been better to spend the money on Burmester.
The following users liked this post:
ace67 (07-31-2020)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:32 AM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

Satellite Radio is a MUST if you take Burmester. I have the Burmester on my new Panamera ST and its worth every Penny - you will enjoy every second in your car! With the Burmester you should also consider High Fidelity Music Streaming like TIDAL for example. Go for it, its one of the best options you can enjoy every time driving the car - and - you will never have the chance to get a 3D Burmester for that low price
Old 10-28-2018, 03:53 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

You guys have me wondering if I cheaped out by not ordering the Burmeister. But seriously... $6K for a second-level car stereo on a $150K car? Again, it goes back to my (uneducated) opinion on Porsche options.

I know this: My wife has given me **** about not ordering the Burmeister option since day one. Based on your opinions, I may never live it down.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve got Bose in my current Cayenne and it’s fine to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burmester vs Bose