Sponsored By:

Questions from Porsche Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by c4s911
I took delivery a few days ago... got the 21 inch wheels.... amazingly good. NO noise, nice ride and handling, since the rears are 315's lots of sidewall. Glad I got them
Did you go summer or all-season? What tires (make and model) came on your car?

I've seen nothing but P-Zero All-Season High Performance on production / show cars with the 21" wheels. Some of the marketing literature showed Michelins on the Turbos (see below). But I've never seen a Michelin on any 2019 Cayenne. Which is a shame. Because I am a Michelin man. (Not to be confused with THE Michelin Man.)

Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Did you go summer or all-season? What tires (make and model) came on your car?

I've seen nothing but P-Zero All-Season High Performance on production / show cars with the 21" wheels. Some of the marketing literature showed Michelins on the Turbos (see below). But I've never seen a Michelin on any 2019 Cayenne. Which is a shame. Because I am a Michelin man. (Not to be confused with THE Michelin Man.)

Just took delivery mine comes with Michelim Pilot Sport AS/S 3 all season.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:35 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool. Share your build?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:45 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vangoose
I second WCH BOS on asking you to post your build. Love your Michelins! Have a feeling most anybody who specs the 21" non-summer option will be getting the P-Zeroes. Not that they're a terrible tire. I'm just jealous of your PS AS/3s, which to me are a superior tire in every way. Well done!

Also, our SA has informed us that wheel locks are standard on U.S. models. Can you confirm you have them? Not sure if he meant 21" only; Turbo only; or any Cayenne model.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Evan L.
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second WCH BOS on asking you to post your build. Love your Michelins! Have a feeling most anybody who specs the 21" non-summer option will be getting the P-Zeroes.
The 21” non-summers are Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons; the P-Zeros are the summer option.

Source: saw a handful of new Cayennes with 21” RS Spyder wheels at my dealership and all had one or the other.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 PM
vangoose
Advanced

I second WCH BOS on asking you to post your build. Love your Michelins! Have a feeling most anybody who specs the 21" non-summer option will be getting the P-Zeroes. Not that they're a terrible tire. I'm just jealous of your PS AS/3s, which to me are a superior tire in every way. Well done!

Also, our SA has informed us that wheel locks are standard on U.S. models. Can you confirm you have them? Not sure if he meant 21" only; Turbo only; or any Cayenne model.
Here is my config
http://www.porsche-code.com/PKB5GH72

Checked, wheel lock is included, mine is 20".
Old 10-07-2018, 01:51 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Great config -- you hit a sweet spot on the options and didn't go overboard. If you'd seen our S build with its nearly $40K in extras, you might've said to yourself, "Those people have no self control."
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

P-Zeros on my summer optioned 21 inch RS Spyder. At Rennsport Michelin guy said there will be P4S Michelin's released in 21 inch staggered sizes in Jan according to their internal tire list.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:42 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vangoose

Thinking about optioning these wheels for my base Cayenne as well. I see you have PASM included in your build. I don't think I'll get that but hope the ride quality will still be ok.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:27 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by phatchunk99
Thinking about optioning these wheels for my base Cayenne as well. I see you have PASM included in your build. I don't think I'll get that but hope the ride quality will still be ok.
The tire is not very low profile and not run flat. The standard suspension is slightly firmer than default setting in PASM but it should still be very good for 20'. 21' might be affected more.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 PM
1stCayenne
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 month impressions

We took delivery of a 2019 Cayenne a month ago. Other than an issue with Porsche Connect (more below) it is awesome. I have had a lot of very nice cars from 911 turbo’s to A8, S Class and BMW 750. This is probably going to be my favorite. More importantly my wife who is an ardent mini van lover says this is her favorite car. Some Specifics

Air Suspension. Really makes a difference. My wife always complained most cars did have the enough road feel, and the 911’s were too much. This is the Goldilocks. She can adjust it to get just the feel she (or I) like.

Rear Wheel Steering. I was suprized at how much this improves handling. It make the car seem much smaller than it is. Before this my wife had a RX450H. Despite being larger, the Cayenne feels smaller and more nimble.

We also got the adaptive cruise control which works very well. If you do much high way driving it is worth the $2000. It also give you the Porsche safety feature to help avoid collisions.

Fuel Economy is better than you would expect. We just completed a 500 miles trip. On 65 mph roads we average 30-31 mpg. The 8 speed transmission really keeps rpm’s down.

On tires, I agree with what others have stated. The large tires look nice, but I would caution to know what conditions the roads are where you will be driving. I had large rims, low aspect tires on my 911’s and BMW. In Wisconsin our roads have a lot of pot holes. You can say you will avoid them but in heavy traffic that is not always possible. I have had to replace 2 rims. For a daily driver like the Cayenne I am not a fan of low aspect tires.

The one very irritating thing we have encountered is the PCM. First let me say my wife and I love the PCM and new layout. My wife in particular finds it much easier to read and manager. She really liked the PCM and seats better than the Q7. It is a pain that there is no easy way to change stations, but you can program the option button on the steering wheel to move to next stations but if you are listening to XM/Sirius you go through station but station, not your favorites stations. NOW to the big problem-Porche Connect. Porsche make a big deal out of Porsche Connect. BMW has a similar feature and app which works well and is free. Setting up the Porsche Connet is a bit tedious since the dealer had to show the car is deliver, you have to set up an account on the Porsche site and then they send you a code you need to activate it in the car. BMW’s is much easier, you just need the VIN and a password. We did all that but then you need to activate remote users to use the iPhone app and remotely connect. Worse the emergency SOS function doesn’t work unless you activate the remote users. The “activate remote user” menu item was greyed out- meaning no working” on our car. I drove to our dealer and we called Porsche Connect help line. They told me to reset the PCM by holding down the Volume button. But that did not rebook the PCM. It just shut off the PCM. After that they said they didn’t know what was wrong and would create a ticket and someone would get back to me in 10 days. I said that was unaccepable service for car this expensive. They replied there is only so many software engineers and a lot of Porsches on the road. After not hearing anything for two weeks I write the Porsche contact on the Porsche we site. They did reply in 24 hr only to say they didn’t have a solution and will contact me when they do 5 weeks later we still have no Porsche connect and get an error every time the car states saying the SOS function is not available. This is the worst service I have ever seen. Maybe we just got a lemon and I hope you all will have better luck. I also think after a trial period Porsche charges for Porsche Connect. That is a rip off vs other luxury cars who give it to you for free. You don’t need this feature to enjoy the car but I find it frustration.

Quick Reply: Questions from Porsche Newbie