Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help me decide: Turbo vs S

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I was tempted to downgrade to S this time because S is plenty fast now. But then I realized I have to add more options to S to get it to where I want, so the price difference is not that big. Plus S with a so many options would depreciate more than Turbo with less options, even though both would be the same equipment level in the end - options just depreciate more, and no one besides me would buy so fully equipped S anyway. So I went with Turbo. But I like options :-).
Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
I was considering base model and as build got more expensive the s sounded better, but what is getting you guys to consider the turbo at such a high Msrp more than benz or bmw?
Same as WCH BOS. We went Turbo because we wanted the quickest, fastest, highest-performing large midsize SUV this side of a Urus. (The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio may be a little quicker, but it's way too small for us. Plus... Italian as a daily driver? I don't think so.) The true AMG Benz SUVs (think AMG 63 or 63 S) in this segment are dated, and due for a refresh soon. We had no interest in buying old tech. BMW wasn't even a consideration due to reliability concerns, like Alfa. We've seen way too many newish BMWs on flatbeds to consider one at any price.

The number-one reason my wife chose the Cayenne was handling. Number two was the Porsche mystique. We just lost our minds a little when we ordered a Turbo. It's a bucket-list purchase. As WCH said, forget about rationalizing this car. It's entirely an emotional decision to buy one. We just tossed the price aside.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I was tempted to downgrade to S this time because S is plenty fast now. But then I realized I have to add more options to S to get it to where I want, so the price difference is not that big. Plus S with a so many options would depreciate more than Turbo with less options, even though both would be the same equipment level in the end - options just depreciate more, and no one besides me would buy so fully equipped S anyway. So I went with Turbo. But I like options :-).
This is exactly where I am. Turbo with like $7k in options or S with $26k in options. End price difference is like $20k. Seems like Turbo is the better choice.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:00 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I can get an s configured at about 97k total, turbo base is at 133k. I guess it’s all about perspective, turbos depreciate a lot in 2 years but to each their own. I guess the base would be least depreciated but the larger the cost the more the depreciation
Old 08-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

I ended up loading up my Cayenne Turbo build with just about every option. I realize I will take a huge hit if I don't hold on to it, but it's been awhile since I bought a Porsche fully loaded and was excited about all of the new tech (including head up, rear wheel turning, etc). Went with Jet Black and Truffle/Cohiba interior. Wished there were an all-cohiba option but this gives me a darker dash.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I think I know the answer I will get, but is there any sense in getting an S with $28k in options over a turbo with $9k in options. For a price difference of about $25k less for the S? Me thinks the turbo is the better buy.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scott40
I think I know the answer I will get, but is there any sense in getting an S with $28k in options over a turbo with $9k in options. For a price difference of about $25k less for the S? Me thinks the turbo is the better buy.
We went through the same thought process. I sort of addressed it above, but to be clear: We agree with you about the Turbo. So many options we wanted are standard on it. By the time we got done, we were less than $20K apart (before we added PCCB and a few other bits later on -- now we're about $25K more on the Turbo).

You're already a veteran Porschephile, so I am the last person to offer any real advice. But our train of thinking was that the value wasn't there for heavily optioned S versus a lightly optioned Turbo. Which is why we went Turbo -- that, and its awesome badassery.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

All great thoughts here. Did anyone here consider Range Rover SVR.?
Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I considered the SVR and actually put a deposit down. Unfortunately Land Rover is extremely poor at predicting when your car will be built especially a low volume special model like the SVR. My wife’s range rover sport autobiography was delayed like three months for no apparent reason. I decided to go with the Cayanne turbo it’s also a beast and I could get a very accurate build date from my salesman.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Outlaw
We looked at the SVR and the Sport V8 Supercharged. I liked them both, and I REALLY liked the price of the Sport as we spec'd it out, but there were three problems.

One: My wife wanted something unique. Rovers are relatively common in our area -- particularly where she works -- and she didn't like the idea of seeing herself surrounded by them regularly. Cayenne Turbos may as well be unicorns.

Two: Acceleration and handling, both objectively and subjectively, are not in the same class as the Turbo. (I am basing the handling statement on driving a few previous-generation Cayenne S's. Everything I have read indicates the 2019 is even better -- across the board.)

Three: Rover quality is a little iffy. We were both concerned about long-term reliability. We skipped looking at BMW entirely for the same reason.

All that being said, the V8 Supercharged sounded angry. I mean, ANGRY. We are hoping that the Turbo with Sport Exhaust will give off the same vibe.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

At altitude the S is fairly pedestrian. There the turbo difference is even a bigger deal.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wish porsche had done more on the vanilla Cayenne front end here. Seems like they are taking no chances. Love rear end styling aesthetic

Enjoy your cars, I’m off to an SVR.

Last edited by Outlaw; 10-08-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: Turbo vs S