Sponsored By:

OPTION CHOICES FOR THE NEW CAYENNE

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OPTION CHOICES FOR THE NEW CAYENNE

For those of us who have ordered or plan to order a new Cayenne this thread is to discuss the options we have ordered or plan to order and their pros and cons.
I'll start off with the option of service coated brakes (PSCB). Of course, these are steel brakes that have a thin ceramic coating. The cost is $3490 but they have to be coupled with 20" or 21" wheels which start at $1720, so the cost is a minimum of $5210. Ceramic brakes are $9080 which need a 21" wheel starting at $3830 for a minimum cost of $12,910. The PSCB work out to be 40% of the cost of PCCB.
The negative of PSCB is the cost. The positives are they are a better brake with virtually no brake dust. I am a slave to the rust and brake dust on my C2S's steel brakes. I would imagine that the 992 will offer the PSCB. Hopefully they will become available for other 911's as a replacement.
So to me PSCB is a must have option. What say ye?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm intrigued by the new brakes. They are standard on the turbo so for me it's built into the price.

I'm wondering about HUD.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the PSCB as it comes w/ white callipers and is manufactured by Bosch. There are delays w/ the HUD but I would get it.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I admit the PSCB brakes look cool with the mirror like finish and no dust would be great. However, their service life quoted as only about 30% longer. I have gone through lots of rotors in my current Cayenne over the last 12 years due to a hard driving wife. Until I saw the replacement cost of these rotors and pads, it is a no go for me. Just think of what Porsche charges for replacement PCCB rotors. Thus, steel is on my S build.

Other options I ordered:
Premium package plus: all the goodies you would expect for a luxury SUV
Leather interior: I just don't like plastic dashes and door sills
20" wheels: IMO best combination of looks, ride quality, and trying to avoid flats/curb rash
air suspension: for towing, bad midwest roads
Thermal/noise insulating glass: I prefer a quieter ride for a daily driver, and keeps the heat out.
No PTV, PDCC, rear steering, or sport chrono. I see no point for these in a SUV that spends 99.99% of its time driving on straight roads. Aggressive shifting with sport modes gets old after awhile.
No night vision, HUD, ACC. Pricey, I wouldn't use much

Most of the other interior options are a matter of taste and how much you want to spend!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Andial
I don't like the PSCB as it comes w/ white callipers and is manufactured by Bosch. There are delays w/ the HUD but I would get it.
Why don't you like Bosch? Concerning HUD, Porsche has a caveat about it not working well with polarized glasses. So it would work well at night but not during sunny days like we have in Florida.
I talked to my SA today who just got back from NM training on the new Cayenne. The only cars available were base models with 21" wheels that all had PASM and PSCB. He said the PSCB were very grabby and difficult to get used to but was told that they smooth out after a break in period.
He also said that all Cayennes will come standard with a new camera based automatic braking system that will replace the present Porsche Active Safe system. So the ACC option does not include a breaking system and is being incorporated into the innodrive and lane keep features that are option on the Panamera.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

We’re about 90 percent certain we’re ordering a Turbo, so PSCB is standard. Even our S build includes them, though.

I know the feeling about brake dust. I have a 2016 Chrevolet SS 6-speed with Brembos all around. They produce enough dust to fill a coal mine. I use an Armor-All spray to the wheels and painted calipers that helps, but it’s still a royal PITA to keep things presentable. So even if a brake job with PSCBs is $10K, I am willing to take the gamble. As a bonus, 10-piston calipers and mirror-finish rotors are just too awesome for me to pass up.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

One other bit that might be helpful: The SS I mentioned earlier came standard with a full-color HUD. I can see it fine with polarized sunglasses. The navigation screen, not so much. YMMV.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 PM
porscherex
Pro

One more thing. The standard equipment list states that a clock on the dashboard comes with the car. However it does not show on the public configurator for some reason until you check the compass option. My SA confirmed the clock is standard and the compass option adds compass and altimeter features to the clock. You can also get compass and altimeter readings as part of the instrument or PCM displays so the compass option is not essential.

The SA also said the Porsche Connect feature is much easier than on the other cars.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Has anyone seen the "Heated Windshield" option in action? I had what I think it is on a helicopter I flew. If you had any kid of ice on the windshield, we'd turn on the windshield de-ice and a laminate film embedded between the two window plates would heat up rapidly and the ice/snow/frost would clear in seconds. No ice scraping at all. Interested if this is how it works in the Cayenne.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by porscherex
Why don't you like Bosch? Concerning HUD, Porsche has a caveat about it not working well with polarized glasses. So it would work well at night but not during sunny days like we have in Florida.
I talked to my SA today who just got back from NM training on the new Cayenne. The only cars available were base models with 21" wheels that all had PASM and PSCB. He said the PSCB were very grabby and difficult to get used to but was told that they smooth out after a break in period.
He also said that all Cayennes will come standard with a new camera based automatic braking system that will replace the present Porsche Active Safe system. So the ACC option does not include a breaking system and is being incorporated into the innodrive and lane keep features that are option on the Panamera.
Bosch colluded w/ VW on Dieselgate.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Can’t decide if I should get PDCC. People have said it’s a must have option on the cayenne. What do you all think. I ordered a turbo with Sport Chrono and PTV. Wasn’t sure the pdcc or rear wheel steering were worth the extra $
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We have PDCC on our Macan and 991TT. I think it makes a difference for the Macan when compared to the base loaners have gotten when in for service. The rear wheel steering makes the TT more maneuverable so I have to imagine that it will help a larger vehicle like a Cayenne. I'm planning on both on our Cayenne...

Is it worth the $$? That's a harder question. For me, if you want a car to simply go from point A to point B, then a Porsche probably don't make financial sense. There are plenty of other nice cars that can do that task for a lot less money. How much is worth the drive? That is the hard one to answer.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
Can’t decide if I should get PDCC. People have said it’s a must have option on the cayenne. What do you all think. I ordered a turbo with Sport Chrono and PTV. Wasn’t sure the pdcc or rear wheel steering were worth the extra $
PDCC isn't necessarily a must have, but SC is a mustn't have.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
PDCC isn't necessarily a must have, but SC is a mustn't have.
i just went to the dealer to finalize my build. I had already decided to go with the Sport Chrono package and PTV. Changed the color from Quartzite to Biscay blue as the grey looked too bland for me and my current DD is a grey AMG GTS. I decided to add the rear axle steering and forget about the PDDC. I’m trying to keep the build price down and the PDCC was just a bit too much $ for what it’s going to give me.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

We skipped both PDCC and rear-wheel steering in our Turbo build, which was submitted yesterday. We figured the car is complicated enough already.

She won’t be tracking the car, so a little body roll won’t hurt if she tries to play Senna entering an on-ramp. And a buddy of mine owned a RWS car that was a nightmare to keep aligned. He spent so much time and money trying to get the tire wear evened out (the car had a serious cupping problem), he finally gave up and got rid of it.

Quick Reply: OPTION CHOICES FOR THE NEW CAYENNE