Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ugly rear-end... can the light strip be deleted?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Ugly rear-end... can the light strip be deleted?!

While I pretty much like most of the new features and look of the new Cayenne, the rear-end, specially at night looks way too much like Ford or KIA and other SUVs with a light strip between two sides, it absolutely RUINS the look IMO.

Do you guys think there's any way to delete that strip somehow?

This is bothering me so much, might just get a 2017/2018 car instead.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

Unplug the lights in it (if it lights up), add resistors to avoid bulb out messages, and have it painted body color.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:30 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Have a matching or contrasting (black?) vinyl wrap applied over the plastic. Easy to remove later and return to stock. And with vinyl, you can trim the edges to make the shape of the taillight much more interesting than just a straight line, like repeating the shape of the outside edges of the taillights. Of course you may not be able to get a perfect color match with vinyl, depending on the color of the body. And if you can't eliminate the lights under the vinyl you may see lights behind the vinyl at night, but who cares? Can't really see the vehicle well at night anyway.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Might have to find someone to wrap it in body color. It's absolutely the worst exterior feature!

But the more I look at it, it'd be hard to do, as it goes around the edge to the sides of the taillights, embeds the Porsche logo, and a dark plastic goes all around it.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:30 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree the rear is hideous. Looks like a Lincoln MKX. https://goo.gl/images/cFkW7z
Old 04-01-2018, 10:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimboMac
I agree the rear is hideous. Looks like a Lincoln MKX. https://goo.gl/images/cFkW7z
I know hey, like sooo many SUVs, there are tons of those with that ridiculous light on the back. Pretty dumb decision, I think they wanted to match the 911 AWD strip lights and the new Panamera, but the BIG difference is that those lights are much much lower and this is quite high like all other cars mentioned above!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Porscharelo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What went wrong in the meeting on design of rear end ?

Honestly the car looks great in general but the rear end with cross lights looks ugly. Nothing better than a classic elegant
rear. I am so upset with porsche making an icon Porsche looking like Panarema or worst.

Very disappointed with this poor design.

Cheers

Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porscharelo
Honestly the car looks great in general but the rear end with cross lights looks ugly. Nothing better than a classic elegant
rear. I am so upset with porsche making an icon Porsche looking like Panarema or worst.

Very disappointed with this poor design.

Cheers

Agreed. Worst case there are KIA, Hyundai and Ford with similar read end.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Can you say, “signature brand design element”? Better not look at the rumps on the new 911 and Macan if you’re not a fan of the Panamera / Cayenne.

I agree the Cayenne in any form is not a pretty car. Few Porsches are. I thought the last gen’s taillights looked like slanty alien eyes.

We bought ours for the drive. Nothing else we test-drove was close. We just sort of look past the styling, such as it is.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

How about ordering clear tail lights?
I think they look cool.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

That’s what we did. Instead of a red strip during the day, you get a clear one. Doesn’t solve the problem for those who hate the design of the taillights, though.

Personally, I love the rear end of the car. So does my wife. I can sort of see Ford or Kia or Lincoln if I squint really hard. Then I see those fat 315s in the back, the active aero spoiler tilted up, and the three-dimensional PORSCHE logo shining through and forget all about it.

If you want to be rightfully critical of something on the new Cayenne, take any damned shot you want at the wonky electronics. You won’t be off-base.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
While I pretty much like most of the new features and look of the new Cayenne, the rear-end, specially at night looks way too much like Ford or KIA and other SUVs with a light strip between two sides, it absolutely RUINS the look IMO.

Do you guys think there's any way to delete that strip somehow?

This is bothering me so much, might just get a 2017/2018 car instead.
Lol, love the pics you posted 😂😂

The light bar looks most similar to the cheap American cars you posted during the day. It’s at night that the lit led strip looks worthy of the Porsche crest.

So I guess I half agree with you. Regardless, after reading your opinion on the matter you obviously should pick up a late model of the last version. It’s a great looking truck, just the interior is now dated... the price you pay for rear light bar delete lol
Old 01-30-2019, 11:47 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Although there is a resemblance, let's face it - all SUVs are going to look somewhat similar. I think the Cayenne does a decent job of looking different. Compared to the last generation Cayenne (which we had), I like the new rear much better.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:54 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s the current trend in car design. I think the rear end really updates the Cayenne. I would option for the clear taillights however to blend in with the suv and it won’t look like such a carbon copy as the other makes that have it
Old 10-30-2019, 09:08 PM
Salo1
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I really like the rear light, and wish it would light up with the brakes. If you guys are going to complain about the lights then look at the tires, they all look the same as the cheapest car in the block. It is a Porsche and designers try to do the best to be unique, but i feel there is only so much they can do to be unique. Each owner can customize the car to their own taste if they really want to be different. My two cents worth..

Quick Reply: Ugly rear-end... can the light strip be deleted?!