Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne

I took a spin in a 2019 Cayenne S in Munich today. it drives very similar to my 2017. It's personal preference, but while I'm a fan off the new instrument cluster, I'm definitely not a fan of the new "touch" buttons around the gear shift.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What do they have against tactile feel? Aren't they supposed to want our eyes on the road?

Lovely fingerprints the console has all over it too. I'm sure that will help loads when there is a glare and you're trying to find the right "button"...
Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
What do they have against tactile feel? Aren't they supposed to want our eyes on the road?

Lovely fingerprints the console has all over it too. I'm sure that will help loads when there is a glare and you're trying to find the right "button"...
Even worse - the OCD crowd (I count myself in that..) will obsess with keeping the fingerprints off the pretty shiny surface - probably wiping it while we're driving.

What happened to Porsche as a driving company? Give up on the left side key/start-fob, and give us buttons to push and a PRDNL shifter..
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Even worse - the OCD crowd (I count myself in that..) will obsess with keeping the fingerprints off the pretty shiny surface - probably wiping it while we're driving.
yep, that's me!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What happened to Porsche as a driving company? Give up on the left side key/start-fob, and give us buttons to push and a PRDNL shifter..
I guess this is Porsche's way of selling more driving gloves.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Yes and in year or so it will be all marred up from rubbing it with a cloth so much.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Originally Posted by BallJack
I guess this is Porsche's way of selling more driving gloves.
If it's a conductive screen, and not a capacitance one, it won't even work with gloves, like most phones, unless Porsche then sells special $400 gloves with the metal infused tips likes those rounded styluses.

I had screens and touch buttons in cars - you can't find them by feel, when you hit a bump as you're trying to press it, you hit the wrong section of the screen - they just suck.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
yep, that's me!
Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Yes and in year or so it will be all marred up from rubbing it with a cloth so much.
A+ ditto to all of the above.

I don't even use the touchscreen functionality in my 2014, I use the *****. I hate fingerprints. Drives me nuts when my wife drives my car because she LOVES the touch functionality and puts fingerprints everywhere. (You should see her laptop screen... it's not even a touchscreen and it's also full of fingerprints lol...)

I like buttons. While the 2019 cockpit LOOKS very cool - I can't imagine I'd enjoy living with it.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It reminds me of the newer Volvo "waterfall" consoles...pass!

TXCOMT
Old 12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
urbanski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fingerprints or not, i have a deposit in for mine.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Having lived with this system in a Panamera for a week I would say the following:

The shifter is fine. Caveat, I had a BMW 5 series and didn't mind that shifter either.
The touch panels show far less fingerprints than you would think.
The touch panels move and have a tactile vibration when you press them. They feel very nice. It's not like your phone.
Younquickly get used to the location of the buttons and can easily find them via muscle memory.
The round **** for the large screen vs the roller for volume is atupid. You'll keep grabbing it and the roller is kind of awkward
Those outer gauges are a total waste.
The nav scree / main display is the real culprit. Too many choices and the logic of the layouts, even after customization, is not great after a week. Changing the radio station takes too many steps. Too much eyes off the road time
You can't flip radio presets off the wheel controls unless you have the radio presets on the big screen and then only forward and backward.

Not it the greatest system.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the new colors for the 2019 Cayenne is Quartzite Gray Metallic. Is anyone familiar with this color?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
One of the new colors for the 2019 Cayenne is Quartzite Gray Metallic. Is anyone familiar with this color?
Nope, but I'm guessing it replaced the former Meteor Gray Metallic?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking online at the 2019 I don't see any pictures with the analog clock on the dash. I love the one on my 2014 CD and would hate to see it go away.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
Looking online at the 2019 I don't see any pictures with the analog clock on the dash. I love the one on my 2014 CD and would hate to see it go away.
FWIW, the Panamera loaner I drove had a dash clock.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne