Sponsored By:

E-Hybrid Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by trucker
I have a electrician coming over to install a NEMA 6-50 250V outlet/receptacle. I can only find 50 amp outlet, the charger cable says 40 amp is the max, my Cayenne came with the standard 3.6 kW on-board charger. I told them to just install a 30 amp breaker but they are telling me if I'm using a 50 amp outlet I need to use a 50 amp breaker. Does anyone have any info on this?
The electrician must install what is required by the electrical code. A 50 amp outlet does require a 50 amp breaker. 50 amps might be overkill, but don't worry. It's better to have extra capacity than not enough. A 50 amp outlet will be fine for the 40 amp charger cable. The charger draws (pulls) the amps from outlet. If the charger draws 30 amps, then the outlet, breaker, and cable will have ample capacity to supply it..
Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM
trucker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
The electrician must install what is required by the electrical code. A 50 amp outlet does require a 50 amp breaker. 50 amps might be overkill, but don't worry. It's better to have extra capacity than not enough. A 50 amp outlet will be fine for the 40 amp charger cable. The charger draws (pulls) the amps from outlet. If the charger draws 30 amps, then the outlet, breaker, and cable will have ample capacity to supply it..
I just had an electrician installing a 250V NEMA 6-50 receptacle in my garage and this is not what he told me. The 50 amp outlet means the maximum current that it can handle so you can install a lower amperage breaker.
My Cayenne came with the 3.6kW on board changer so the max it draws is 16 amp. The maximum rate of the cable that came with the charger is 40A. He had a 25 amp breaker available and that’s a safe option.
I haven’t measure how long is taking the Cayenne to recharge from zero but it should be around the 4 hours like the manual has, way better than using the 110V outlet. Just out of curiosity, I paid $180 for labor and the double 25 amp breakers, I had the receptacle which is like $10.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:34 PM
BRJACKET
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I do need to talk to an electrician. I have been looking at the receptacles. On one side of the wall is the 20 amp plug in the garage. On the other side of the wall is the laundry room with a 30 amp (3 wire I think) receptacle with my dryer plugged in there. In the panel, there are 2 - 30 amp circuits that are tied together. They feed both receptacles. So it looks like the 20 amp receptacle goes to a 30 amp circuit. I don’t know how much power the dryer pulls (guessing 30) but it looks like 60 amps are available. If correct it looks like the garage receptacle could get upgraded to a 30 amp without too much problem.

Quick Reply: E-Hybrid Help