Sponsored By:

New 2018 Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

/Mod-mode/=on

I'm giving thought to merging this thread with the one on the 958 subforum..

Any preference for which forum it will end up in? PM me if you have a preference..

/Mod-mode/=off

Old 08-26-2017, 03:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ comparing two different motors is not really a comparison. RRs supercharged V8 is beastly. The fit and finish in the Rover is best in class. I prefer Rover's soft touch material by far. Entertainment system was refreshed in 2017. The options available in the Rover supercharged model rivals turbos PTV and PDCC and handling is fantastic.

Not surprised this forum leans toward Porsche but Rover produces a great product.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

I swear, this is almost identical to the facelifted 958.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on Don

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Interesting.

*** end and sides look like they copied Lincoln with their MKC - (http://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/mkc/2017/) just made the taillights bigger on the bottom instead of the top. If you put the rear ends side by side without any maker indication - I think you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which. The interior looks BMW-ish. The front end looks Macan-ish.

It's an interesting pastiche* of themes.. it's going to have to drive super to justify whatever astronomical price Porsche will be asking for it. It certainly isn't grabbing me. It looks like a "me-too" design. Maybe like the 955, it will look better in person? It certainly isn't a big change from the current model.

* = pastiche [pa-steesh, pah-] noun
1. a literary, musical, or artistic piece consisting wholly or chiefly of motifs or techniques borrowed from one or more sources.
2. an incongruous combination of materials, forms, motifs, etc., taken from different sources; hodgepodge.

BTW - is there some reason that Lexus is the only SUV manufacturer who figured out where to mount the rear wiper (under the wing at the top of the rear window)? How hard can this possibly be to figure out? Move it where it won't get eaten by carwashes, broken by sliding snow/ice off the roof, and hidden from damaging UV rays. Vaunted "German Engineering" is looking more and more questionable when they can't get something this dead simple right.

FWIW - I just priced out a Lincoln, trying to select the same equipment my $125,000 CTT has in it. The only thing I didn't see offered was the heated steering wheel and 4-zone HVAC. This would be a 4 cylinder, 6 speed, with all the doo-dads I could find for technology stuff. Pretty comparable. It started at $39k, and all the crap thrown at it - ended up at MSRP $45k. Dealers were offering it for $40k-43k. I know it wouldn't handle or drive as well as the Porsche one, and it's probably a FWD driveline with grafted on rear-drive (like a Lexus..) but comfort and functionally - it's hard to justify $80,000+ for the Porsche. The Lincoln apparently has 5 year included maintenance, and a 4-year/50,000 mile overall warranty and a 7year/100,000 mile driveline warranty. They'll also pickup and deliver to your home/office - bringing you a loaner when they pick up the vehicle, and taking the loaner back when they've finished servicing it. If FMC would wrap their heads around making a performance model with some power (stock is around 280HP, 300ft/lbs - not awful but nothing to write home about) they might actually have a semi-competitive vehicle to offer.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Threads have been merged since I heard no objection. Expiring redirect in the base Cayenne forum.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ comparing two different motors is not really a comparison. RRs supercharged V8 is beastly. The fit and finish in the Rover is best in class. I prefer Rover's soft touch material by far. Entertainment system was refreshed in 2017. The options available in the Rover supercharged model rivals turbos PTV and PDCC and handling is fantastic.

Not surprised this forum leans toward Porsche but Rover produces a great product.
Having driven all of them, the RRS certainly has it's merits. It's quite comfortable and the materials are indeed very nice. But the handling absolutely paled in comparison to the Cayenne. Even without PDCC or PTV+.

One BIG downside was the infotainment system, it was quite outdated compared to just about all other 2017 brands at the time. Could be I tested three vehicles just before the change to something less worse. Everyone's infotainment system could use work, no doubt, but the LR system was clunky.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:22 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

As with just about every new vehicle design I've encountered during my many decades of being an auto enthusiast, I really have to see them 'in the flesh' and then give them some time before I pass final judgement for me personally.

However initial assessment shows me that this is definitely evolutionary, as are most of Porsches styling/design updates. Good thing for those that own previous gens, for they remain more relevant and less dated than brands like, say, Cadillac and the like. At this point, it appears to me to be quite similar to the current 958.2s on the exterior. Interior redesign seems the more significant part.

We'll see soon enough.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:01 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I saw it on the road today

I saw it in the flesh ;-)

Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

Speaking about the exterior, I'm underwhelmed by changes, but it still looks better than most other SUVs to me. Jaguar P-face and RR Sport look more interesting from most angles, but they have pretty big flaws in handling and some other areas - the former is utterly uncomfortable handling and NVH-wise, with no improvement in precision to show for it, and the latter just makes me want to drive slowly, unless it's a straight and wide road. Even the new Q7 beats either handling-wise, but of course, it looks like a mini van. Based on how well plain Q7 performed, Cayenne's handling should murder anything comparable.

Same with the engine. Panamera showed us that the new gen engine is capable of - no turbo lag (night and day compared to the current rather laggy one), monster torque available in an instant and throttle response finesse rivaling most sports cars.

Gearbox is a big question mark. The one in the current Cayenne is not that good - very slow, a little too noisy. I hope they improved on it a lot.

If the interior is the same as in the new Panamera, nothing compares, maybe Bentayga.

So unless they introduce some fatal flaw not visible now, it seems to be a winner for now. But new GLE and X5 generations are coming soon too.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by roadsession
I saw it in the flesh ;-)

Well, at least it has a 10 year 100k mile warranty now!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:15 PM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

No Turbo! Any info on the timing for the Turbo?
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Informative article from Automobile magazine..... http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...ity-unwrapped/
Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 PM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

2018 Porsche Cayenne Explained - Design and Build

ALL NEW 2018 PORSCHE CAYENNE REVEAL l WORLD PREMIERE (ENG TRANSLATION DUB)

Quick Reply: New 2018 Porsche Cayenne