Sponsored By:

Max A/C button behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Max A/C button behavior?

Anyone else with a 958 care to experiment? Mine is a 2017 GTS.

When I press the A/C Max button on the center console it does, as expected, blast a tremendous amount of air out the vents. If I press that button again it resumes previous AC settings for temp and fan speed.

However, if any other AC buttons are pressed (like temp or fan speed) pressing A/C Max again does NOT return to the previous settings. It's then a bunch of button presses to run the fan and temps down in order to get it to stop being in the A/C MAX mode.

I can also press the key button on the door to bring those values back.

Anyone else run into this?

I get it, there's sometimes 'quirks' to contend with, but this seems like an outright software bug.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-15-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:25 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Hmmm, I'm going to have to check that, next hot day up here in MA. Mine is a 16CD.

There are climate control options for the A/C and I have it set to "Strong" as well as for what I think is called "Upper Air Flow" as well as auto or pollution control where recirc goes on automatically at stops.

I never noticed the behavior you mention.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Yes, there's a setting in the PCM for airflow, which I take it is a means to reduce fan noise for 'most typical' usage. Running in A/C Max mode is an EVERYTHING ON, FULL mode. It's LOUD but it cools the cabin, right quick.

The trick is being quicker than my wife reaching to turn down her side while the A/C Max mode is still running.

It doesn't have to be a hot day, just press A/C Max and let it kick in. Stop it by pressing A/C Max again. To test the problem I'm having, activate A/C Max again and then press any of the temp or fan +/- buttons. The try pressing A/C Max to see if it exits that mode and goes back to regular temp/speed control. On my '17 it won't. It gets sort of 'stuck' somewhere in-between.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I tried AC Max this morning.

If I put it on AC Max and then press it again, things will go back to the settings I had before pressing AC Max.

If I put it on AC Max, then touch the controls, AC Max will go off and then I can just manually adjust as needed/requested.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

On my '16 if I press AC max everything is full on. When cool enough I press Auto button again and it goes back to original setting.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
On my '16 if I press AC max everything is full on. When cool enough I press Auto button again and it goes back to original setting.
Right, but try pressing one of the others while Max is engaged. In my '17 it then becomes tedious trying to disengage max. Just pressing A/C Max again doesn't disable it if any of the other temp or fan +/- buttons have been pressed.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenCD
If I put it on AC Max, then touch the controls, AC Max will go off and then I can just manually adjust as needed/requested.
Right, but by doing so it switches to showing 'Lo' on the panel, not a temperature. To get back to temperature control you have to use Temp - and then it drops back to 60F, which you then have to scroll allll the way back up to a desired temp.

This just strikes me as wrong. It seems like Max ought to toggle back to the previous settings.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:36 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

You're right, my '16 behaves like that too - not very sofisticated. But neither is the stop-start that turns off just before you fully stop and then on the odd occasion, bumps up the rpm when the AC comes on just as you take your foot off the break pedal but before you touch the gas pedal so that it starts with a lurch. I do find the odd thing in the Cayenne that you wonder why anyone would engineer it that way.

Quick Reply: Max A/C button behavior?