Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Auto stop defeated!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:42 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Auto stop defeated!

After a few productive hours today there's now an option for adding a module to overcome the auto start/stop 'feature' in the 958.

T-Design was here today and used my '17 GTS to determine the programming necessary for their add-on memory module. This module remembers whatever you have set up for Sport, PSE, Auto Start/Stop, Ride Comfort and Height.

It's plugged in-between the button module in lower center console and the rest of the harness. It's a small 3x3" module that fits nearly in free space already present inside the console. Once installed it listens for the button settings and stores them. When you start the car it automatically re-sends those settings.

Here's a short clip showing it in action:

What's missing is programming for the Sport+ mode. I don't have that option in my GTS, so there wasn't any button data for them to sample. They're still looking to find someone with a 958 that has Sport+.

But right now if you don't have Sport+ the module is ready to go. It's using the same hardware as their other Porsche modules (but the button programming IS different). And if you have Sport+ the module will still work, just not for tracking the Sport+ module (so let them know if you want to be a test sample).

http://t-design9.com/memory_module.html

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-10-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:01 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

The installation of it will be posted on T-Design's website once they get back home.

The process is pretty easy and requires just two tools. One T-20 screw driver (and NOT a fold-out key set) and a plastic edge spudger. You use the spudger to pop the center cap off the gear shift. Once that's off you counter-clockwise twist the lower ferrule around the gear shift shaft. Then press in the pull lever inside the top of the shift handle. This will then let you slide the handle up/off the shifter column.

Chock the wheels and set the parking brake. Then shift the transmission into Neutral. Reach down into the center cover around the gear shift. Give it a firm tug upwards. It will pop loose from the larger center console cover. Once that's free, open the ashtray, remove it and then remove the two T-20 screws down inside the ashtray space. Then give the rear edge of the center console cover a firm tug upward, it will also release. You only need to lever it up about 4 inches. In that free space use the spudger against to lever under the front of the button panel. It will pop loose toward the front, hinge it upward and release it from the tabs holding it into the rear of the console. With that loose you can then give a firm tug on the rear of the console (the large U-shaped section) and it will also come up. Hinge it upward about 6" and that will let you remove the keyed connector that plugs into the button module.

Place the memory module on the rear of the shifter module. There's a flat spot on the back of it. Carefully thread the wires to/from the module to the button panel and it's connection. There's plenty of room for the module and there's generous clearance for the module wiring. Just lay it carefully such that it doesn't get pinched when things get reassembled.

Reinstallation is the reverse. Lower the console into position and firmly press it back into place. Lever the button module into the rear of the console and the push the front of it (the end toward the front of the car) firmly into place. Take this opportunity to tuck the wires safely out of the way. Anchor them if you like but they're thin gauge and will not likely move or affect anything. Then lower the center console cover into place, firmly pressing. Put the gear shift collar back in place, again firmly pressing it down.

Putting the gear shift handle back on requires knowing one little trick. When you pull the trigger on the shifter it raises a lever that pulls up on a rod inside the shift column. That lever has to be pressed firmly DOWNWARD into the shift handle BEFORE you slide it back onto the column. The lever will 'click' into a groove inside the handle and then allow easily sliding it back down over the shift column. Pull the trigger and it'll release the lever which will pop back into place within the shift rod. Turn the ferrule back clockwise a quarter turn and replace the center cap. Then put the two T-20 screws back into their place under the ashtray, reinstall it and you're done.

If you know what you're doing this is a 15-20 minute job, tops. If you're handy doing this job 'cold' should still take less than an hour.

You do need to be mindful of how to carefully separate spring-clipped plastic panels. With the exception of the gear shift cap they're all pretty durable. When they post a video that should make it pretty clear how to do it.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
After a few productive hours today there's now an option for adding a module to overcome the auto start/stop 'feature' in the 958.

T-Design was here today and used my '17 GTS to determine the programming necessary for their add-on memory module. This module remembers whatever you have set up for Sport, PSE, Auto Start/Stop, Ride Comfort and Height.

It's plugged in-between the button module in lower center console and the rest of the harness. It's a small 3x3" module that fits nearly in free space already present inside the console. Once installed it listens for the button settings and stores them. When you start the car it automatically re-sends those settings.

Here's a short clip showing it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdIsfAGDN8

What's missing is programming for the Sport+ mode. I don't have that option in my GTS, so there wasn't any button data for them to sample. They're still looking to find someone with a 958 that has Sport+.

But right now if you don't have Sport+ the module is ready to go. It's using the same hardware as their other Porsche modules (but the button programming IS different). And if you have Sport+ the module will still work, just not for tracking the Sport+ module (so let them know if you want to be a test sample).

http://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
Ummm, what does the Sports+ button in your car do, then?
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

There's two Sport+ "things" in the 958. One is for the throttle/gear mode (and Sport Chrono/Launch Control) and the other is the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ PASM suspension mode. In mine there's no Sport+ button (as I didn't order the option).

Yes, a bit confusing isn't it?

Interestingly while Sport mode does automatically switch ride leveling to normal, and comfort mode to Sport+, you can manually select any of the other settings for those while still leaving the throttle/shifting in Sport mode. We went through some extra testing steps to allow the module to record those settings. This means you select Sport, then select Comfort (ride sensitivity) and Low I (level) and the module will remember those automatically. Or any other combination of them. Not that you'd likely want Sport and Comfort, but it's selectable (as per the factory) and the module will remember it.

It's a trivial thing, but it's nice to be able to get in the vehicle and not have to fiddle with the damned auto stop every time.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-11-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:38 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like a great solution. People seem to hate the auto-stop the most.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sclemmons
This sounds like a great solution. People seem to hate the auto-stop the most.
It's trivial, but delightfully so. $199 for the module, two tools and an hour's time to install makes it an easy choice.

I'm not one for the dramatic, but forgetting to reset it manually every time and having it 'stall out' on me unexpectedly during first-thing morning drives really put a negative note on the otherwise great time I've had owning this.

The one thing they still need is a sample from a 958 that has the Sport+ option installed.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,135 Likes on 3,908 Posts

Any chance this will work for an '09 957 Turbo S or that they can make one for it? Every time I get in my Cayenne, I select Sport mode in order to enable the 1st gear start from a stop instead of 2nd gear start, but that drops the suspension to the lower Sport setting, which means I then need to hit to toggle to go back up to Normal suspension mode. I'd love it if it would just remember Sport for the driving mode and Normal for the suspension setting whenever I start the car to avoid the extra toggle presses and the unnecessary wear on the compressor and air valves.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

You'd want to ask the T-Design folks directly for more info. But from what I've learned if the buttons are connected via LIN bus then this module might be able to be programmed to support it. That is, each model does it's own thing and will have different LIN bus messages. So while the underlying hardware and wire protocol is "the same" the contents of the messages themselves (the button presses and LED settings) are going to be model-specific.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts

Thinking of ordering this.

Can we please get the cayenne 958 installation video posted please?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

http://t-design9.com/memory_module_c...8_install.html

It's pretty straightforward to install. Two tools and maybe an hour's time given being unfamiliar with the various pieces involved.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Porsche in all their Germanic wisdom dos not provide an option to turn this mess off in the 958? When my wife was on the test dive last week at the dealer I stayed and took pics of babes in high heels - ha no , but a 959.

I can see the new Range Rover looms a bit ever larger in our sights.

But good work in figuring this out.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I can see the new Range Rover looms a bit ever larger in our sights.
Um, ok, well, if none of the other differences between the vehicles matter then why bother spending for either brand? Why not just save a whole lot more money and go with an Acura instead? Less money, likely greater reliability and less depreciation (by total dollar amount, if not also percentage). Because if auto stop/start is making that much difference then this might not be the vehicle for you...
Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

A follow up on this, apparently Porsche handles removing the shifter **** by using a screwdriver-like tool to pull the shifter release button outward. This I learned from a dealer tech. I've not tried to duplicate that effort as yet.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:53 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Um, ok, well, if none of the other differences between the vehicles matter then why bother spending for either brand? Why not just save a whole lot more money and go with an Acura instead? Less money, likely greater reliability and less depreciation (by total dollar amount, if not also percentage). Because if auto stop/start is making that much difference then this might not be the vehicle for you...
I wonder how that falls out in the wash? None of the other differences . .

Hmmm . . Im zero for lifetime on Acuras or Hondas too for that matter. That must be a trend.

Well . . because those are the only two I like that will do what I want to do. Both Pepper and RR have features the other doesn't . This auto stop is crap that one has that the other doesn't. Well it does, but at least you can turn it off. Having Porsche ram this down my throat isn't something I care for. But this is an option - so good work from y'all for those that want it. I may prefer a different route.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto stop defeated!