Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne and ATC LED trailer lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2013 Cayenne and ATC LED trailer lights

I just upgraded to a 2013 Cayenne S with the factory tow package (dealer installed). I also just bought 2010 ATC Quest enclosed trailer.

My old 2005 Cayenne S had a terrible time with the LED lights on my Trailex. I had to add ballast resistors to solve it. Am I likely to have the same problem with the ATC LED lights?

It's a 4 hour drive to pick up the trailer and I don't want to have to deal with the non-functioning lights while I am there...

Suggestions?

Thanks
Peter
Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an ATC trailer and I get some weird blinking on the LEDs when it's parked, but the lights work fine. You might want to grab resistors just in case, but mine did work.
What are you using for a brake controller? I used the Prodigy RF, and we needed a separate vehicle to get it to pair with the handheld. Luckily the trailer dealer had one available.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You should not have an issue. My Featherlite is LED lights and connects fine, no resistors required. These 958 version Cayenne's fixed the LED trailer light issue.

The blinking is part of the reason the RF doesn't pair easily and most (including me) go the separate vehicle route, that is, Cayenne sends a continuous micro pulse electric signal through the trailer system, causing the RF to become confused during pairing. It is also used for the Cayenne alarm system to be connected to the trailer via electrical connector. If you arm the Cayenne alarm and disconnect the trailer electrical from the Cayenne while the alarm is active in the vehicle, it will sound. In other words, the trailer is now armed and part of the Cayenne alarm system.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I plugged into a friend's similar vintage ATC and it worked no problem. So whatever Porsche changed in the 958 worked... Thanks

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne and ATC LED trailer lights