Sponsored By:

What I hate about my 2017 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What I hate about my 2017 Cayenne

After driving my 2017 Cayenne for a few months now, I thought I'd express a few things that I really hate about this car.

1st - I absolutely hate the fact that the auto start/stop cannot be permanently deactivated. Instead, I have to manually turn it off each time I start the car. There is no logic for Porsche not allowing this to be permanently turned off. This feature can be permanently turned off in my 991C4S.

2nd - I hate the fact that I cannot scroll through my preset radio stations with the multifunction ****. The user's manual states that you can do this but when I spoke w/ Porsche Customer Service, they stated that was a typo in the manual.

3rd - I really wish there was a good place to keep a cell phone. A phone gets lost in the large pocket on the driver's side door and inside the center armrest isn't convenient either
Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I hear you on the radio presets not being able to be gone through with ANY of the steering wheel controls. It totally sucks.

A company makes little "pockets" that slide into the handholds on the center console with enough space to still fit one's hand. I thought about them but don't really need them and like being able to put my hand through the entire opening any time I want or need to.

There are lots of aftermarket gadgets that will hold a smart phone and I'm sure many will post up pics to help you out.

I'm glad my 16 diesel doesn't have start-stop.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Do you have a link for the company that makes the pockets?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...728982548.html

I have considered them as they are pretty nifty. Those that have them have said that they like them.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:22 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got those saddle pockets. They are actually pretty good and a lot more sturdy than you would think for a knockoff product. The one problem I have with them is that there is a hole so you can put your hand around the grip without grabbing the pocket. The hole makes sense but it is big enough that you can put your phone through it if you arent paying attention. Other than that they are great. I do wish they came in more colors than just black as i dont have the black interior.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

The auto stop thing is being worked on. Stay tuned for a solution in the coming weeks.

I posted about those pockets a while ago, good to see others have found them useful too. There's a supplier on Amazon too, as the aliexpress shipment took foreeeeeeeeever to get here.

They do have enough of an opening to let you use the handles as expected. Passengers haven't had any issue with grabbing the handle and hitting the pocket. I've got big hands and haven't had a problem either. I tend to use mine for spare reading glasses as my S7 phone in a case is a bit wide for the pocket.

I have the cohiba brown leather interior and the black pockets blend in well. The U-shape section around the console is already black (or at least very dark gray) so it doesn't clash at all. They're pretty secure in there too, as I forgot to take them out when running the beast through autocross races.

Presets not scrolling? Oh, you mean from the steering wheel ****. The one on the PCM itself scrolls. You can scroll through stations if you change the display on the MFT to the sat radio screen. I'd very much like to see the new Panamera's steering wheel on a Cayenne. +/- for stations would be fantastic (and that's independent of the diamond key).
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2017, 12:18 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Regarding radio scrolling - the system lets me scroll through all of the sat radio stations using the multifunction wheel ****. However, I want to be able to scroll through only my sat preset stations (not 100+ stations of garbage). I can do this on my 991 with PCM 3.x. Although the Cayenne user's manual says you can do this with the new PCM 4.x, Porsche Cust.Svc tells me that is a typo in the manual and you cannot do this with the new PCM.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Agreed, it'd be nice to have better on-wheel control over station selections.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

While the Porsche wheel is awesome, the wheel itself, it blows that we can't scroll through presets or press the buttons to scroll through any of the presets.

Unfortunately, VW and the Touareg figured it out. The wheel interface of the Touareg is superior in this regard. The only thing about the Cayenne that is better is the roller wheel for scrolling vs pressing buttons to go up and down.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:45 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
1st - I absolutely hate the fact that the auto start/stop cannot be permanently deactivated. Instead, I have to manually turn it off each time I start the car.
Yeah, this sucks. It's all a BS fuel economy thing, meaning that some 'authority' realized people were turning off start/stop day one and leaving it off, so manufacturers shouldn't get to assume the MPG that includes the fuel economy bonus that occurs as a result of the godforsaken start/stop.

Threatened with a fleet-wide decrease in MPG, the weak-kneed manufacturers (like Porsche) said 'Wait! We'll just make it turn back on every time they start the car!' so they could keep the MPG bonus. HOWEVER, by doing this, they have annoyed a generation of their customers, ensuring those people will NEVER buy another Porsche... I don't know about you, but I get mad at Porsche AND the world's governments every time I get in the car and have to push that ****ing button!

And the fact that you can't stay in SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode is due to the fact those modes turn start/stop off, and start/stop can't stay off for the reasons stated above... So when I have to push the SPORT button every time I get in the car as well, then I'm double mad!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cdog533
And the fact that you can't stay in SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode is due to the fact those modes turn start/stop off, and start/stop can't stay off for the reasons stated above... So when I have to push the SPORT button every time I get in the car as well, then I'm double mad!!!!!!
A little different on the 958.1 gen...on my 2011 CTT, once you press the button to disable the Start/Stop function, you never have to touch it again, it stays disabled. I've never had to touch that button since I first bought it and disabled that feature from day one.

But the Sport mode does not hold, once you shut the vehicle off, Sport mode is disabled (although air suspension vehicles will remain in the lowered position if you shut it off while in Sport mode).
Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
A little different on the 958.1 gen...on my 2011 CTT...
From what I understand it wasn't until the '17 models (and maybe some '16s?) that auto start was removed from being a memory-storable setting. Now it defaults to being active on every engine restart. I wouldn't rate it up there with discouraging me from making other Porsche purchases, but it's still very annoying.

There is 3rd party effort on-going to work around this with an added memory module.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
From what I understand it wasn't until the '17 models (and maybe some '16s?) that auto start was removed from being a memory-storable setting....
My '16 Turbo suffers from this issue. It's annoying, for sure.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
A little different on the 958.1 gen...on my 2011 CTT, once you press the button to disable the Start/Stop function, you never have to touch it again, it stays disabled.
I'm with CarGuy & BKearney - I LOVE my 2012 CTT, and it is little things like this that make me want to stay in this 958.1 for a loooong time.

Once I set it up & hit the "Set" button on my door, it remembered all those little settings. Never have to deal with the Start/Stop (unless I am rolling up to a light that I KNOW is a long light,... then I sometimes hit the start/stop, so I can listen to clean Burmester sound.

=Steve
Old 06-08-2017, 02:07 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
Regarding radio scrolling - the system lets me scroll through all of the sat radio stations using the multifunction wheel ****. However, I want to be able to scroll through only my sat preset stations (not 100+ stations of garbage). I can do this on my 991 with PCM 3.x. Although the Cayenne user's manual says you can do this with the new PCM 4.x, Porsche Cust.Svc tells me that is a typo in the manual and you cannot do this with the new PCM.
That's interesting because in my 2013 CD I can scroll through the SAT presets. Not sure if it is all of them, I don't think so, but there are at least 10 of my preset channels I scroll and press the button to switch to. I definitely do not see the 100+ channels and the ones I do see are the ones I purposefully set. Maybe it was an older version feature no longer supported in the newer PCM/MFD.

Quick Reply: What I hate about my 2017 Cayenne