Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What I hate about my 2017 Cayenne

Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
From what I understand it wasn't until the '17 models (and maybe some '16s?) that auto start was removed from being a memory-storable setting.
I think it happened at the .2 switch over.

It's a CARB/EPA "feature". They don't want there to be an option at all and know (across all brands) that people were just disabling it. So now they are pressuring the MFGs to make it so that option resets at every start.

Doubt it will be much longer before there isn't a button for it at all

Originally Posted by stronbl
Maybe it was an older version feature no longer supported in the newer PCM/MFD.
Yeah I know I can do it in my 2013. I'm guessing that was something that changed with the .2 as well and the "typo" is that it was never removed from the manual.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

I've yet to find a sat radio setup that I genuinely liked using. All of them suck one way or the other. I'm not defending Porsche setup, but it's 'just as bad' as a lot of others I've had to use. The PCM in my '17 does at least offer ways to scroll through current artist playing. Makes for an interesting way to see what's playing across a number of channels. That and there's some filtering. But it's still more tedious to use than I'd like. Especially without on-wheel directional control.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
It's a CARB/EPA "feature". They don't want there to be an option at all and know (across all brands) that people were just disabling it. So now they are pressuring the MFGs to make it so that option resets at every start.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it (as much) if there was a way to fine tune it. There's just too many situations where I'm not actually stopping. Like coming to a slow stop and inching forward or about to make a quick cut across traffic. Just as I want the engine, auto stop kills it. If there was a wider range of time it'd be less annoying.

Meanwhile the T-Design folks are going to use my 958 as a guinea pig this weekend for a memory module to overcome this.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Meanwhile the T-Design folks are going to use my 958 as a guinea pig this weekend for a memory module to overcome this.
Awesome! Let them know that if they want to play with a 2013 diesel there is one in the general area that is willing to be a guinea pig too. SS isn't a problem for the oil burners, but there are other functions I'd love to talk to them about
Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I came up with the 4th thing I hate about the 2017 Cayenne - the lack of a solid sunshade for the panorama sunroof. Other manufacturers have a solid cover that doesn't bleed light through. I wonder why Porsche doesn't have this. I also can't find an aftermarket solution
Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
I came up with the 4th thing I hate about the 2017 Cayenne - the lack of a solid sunshade for the panorama sunroof. Other manufacturers have a solid cover that doesn't bleed light through. I wonder why Porsche doesn't have this. I also can't find an aftermarket solution
You mean an entirely different material for the shade? I can't imagine the market is anywhere near large enough for someone to pursue it. Is the roll itself even a replaceable part? I seem to recall anything to do with the Pano roof being ridiculously expensive to replace, and had to be done as a 'whole unit'.

I've wondered why it has slight perforations but haven't found it a problem. it doesn't pass enough light to be an issue.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
You can tint the sunroof and it becomes much more usable.

Having a shop apply a 20% tint really helps. I did that to my CTS-V and never needed to pull the sunroof shade. Planning on doing it to the Cayenne as well here someday.

If you really want to kill the light, put on a 5% tint...
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The ultimate solution to all these foibles on the Cayenne is:

A nice, new Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot, then the sunroof shade letting in too much light, the radio controls not working from the steering wheel, and the Stop-Start would not be an issue at all as those manufacturers know how to make their vehicles work the right way, not like the Cayenne.

The CR-V or the Rav4 are other, solid choices. Too bad Subaru doesn't make a competing SUV. They would absolutely blow it out of the water if they ever did.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:33 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

hahahaha!!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

That's when I'll give up on modern sports SUVS's and just build what I want... Probably be a pro-mod Jeep Grand Wagoneer with Jeep SRT suspension and a Merlin 540 cid Big Block Chevy engine & Tremec T-56 6-speed.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cdog533
You can tint the sunroof and it becomes much more usable.

Having a shop apply a 20% tint really helps. I did that to my CTS-V and never needed to pull the sunroof shade. Planning on doing it to the Cayenne as well here someday.

If you really want to kill the light, put on a 5% tint...
This! I tinted my Q5 panonroof and have never once used the shade in 6 years. I like the open feel of the window but the tint takes away most of the light and heat. I think mine was also 20% but may have been 15%. I'll do the same thing to the CTT once I get it
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I posted about those pockets a while ago, good to see others have found them useful too. There's a supplier on Amazon too, .....
Thanks for the heads-up ... ordered them and they are just what I needed for my driving glasses --- was really tired of throwing them in the cupholder......
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Thanks for the heads-up ... ordered them and they are just what I needed for my driving glasses --- was really tired of throwing them in the cupholder......
They're narrow but wide enough for typical reading glasses. Regular sunglasses or eyewear with a long temple/hinge section might be a trickier fit.

Tangentially, I got one of these:

I've posted about it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ss-holder.html
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenCD
The ultimate solution to all these foibles on the Cayenne is:
Heh, I hear ya.

I spent two months last summer doing test drives and taking overnight loaners of just about every mid/up-market SUV. All had their merits but the best value all-around was probably the Acura MDX. Everything came together pretty well and for a reasonable amount of money. Engine/nav/infotainment/handling were all quite nicely done. Had I been limited to a sane amount of money I'd have given it serious consideration. And hated making the compromise.

But none of them came anywhere close to how well a Porsche handles. I'm sure competent drivers can wring all kinds of performance out of anything. But right off the lot the Cayenne just drives better, both at how I like to drive it... and also at reasonable/legal speeds. I just didn't get that in anything else on the market at the time. Even my wife commented during a drive out for dinner tonight, "other cars just don't drive as well as these, do they?"

So, yeah, Porsche's way of mis-managing infotainment and other 'features' pales in comparison to just about all the others. But then I didn't spend this amount of money for that.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 PM
dayvieee
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stronbl
That's interesting because in my 2013 CD I can scroll through the SAT presets. Not sure if it is all of them, I don't think so, but there are at least 10 of my preset channels I scroll and press the button to switch to. I definitely do not see the 100+ channels and the ones I do see are the ones I purposefully set. Maybe it was an older version feature no longer supported in the newer PCM/MFD.

I also have a 2016 Cayenne and I'm quite sure that you can do this. I believe you have to select another option once you are in the audio menu to scroll through your presets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What I hate about my 2017 Cayenne