Sponsored By:

Annoying seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Annoying seat memory

I have my seat position set both on the key and to slot 1. It's been set for years. It almost never gets driven by anyone else. Even less rarely to I tweak the seat position. I have the stupid comfort entry disabled because it is infuriatingly non-useful.

Yet one out of five times or so that I get in the car I find it has moved the seat back forward a bit. I use slot 1 to return it to its correct position.

It's done this pretty much since I got the seat tweaked just right after I bought it.

Anyone else see this?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Only after it's been to the car wash. The chaps who drive it out of the wash are kinda short and move the seat up. It then remembers that setting to the key setting. The way to avoid this - press the OFF button (bottom button on the '11 memory panel) before you get out of the car. I then can use the key memory to move the seat back where it belongs by unlocking it with the key.

Been to a carwash lately?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Ours is very intermittent, most times it does not remember my setting #2. I am on my third key because of this issue. Wife's position #1 works intermittently too. Sometimes when I try to reset I can not get the top set button to light up.
Probably not related, the center display went totally dark for a day. Only for one whole day. It has been working fine ever since.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Apparently it is the design of '13 and '14s. There is a thread here or on 6speed.
We have to live with it and keep pressing the memory button. People claim that it loses memory when you get in and out accidentally hitting the seat adjustment levers on the side but I call bs.
I never hit those levers and sometimes it just does not go back to preset memory seating position..
Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Been to a carwash lately?
As mentioned, it's rarely driven by someone else.

We're also only talking about maybe 1" of movement for one adjustment. Not like someone moving the seat around so they can drive.

Originally Posted by chsu74
People claim that it loses memory when you get in and out accidentally hitting the seat adjustment levers on the side but I call bs.
I agree. Definitely not hitting any of the buttons as I get in.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Also have same issue as original post.

Comfort entry/exit function also very finicky: Enter car, sit, put key in, seat starts adjusting. If car is started while seat is adjusting to memory setting about a coin flip as to whether it will complete adjustment or freeze. Will still respond to pushing memory button.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah, it has a mind of its own. My best results occur when I make it a point to lock it with the comfort mode engaged: I use one key, my wife uses different key. But still some glitches. 2014 CS.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Comfort entry/exit function also very finicky: Enter car, sit, put key in, seat starts adjusting. If car is started while seat is adjusting to memory setting about a coin flip as to whether it will complete adjustment or freeze. Will still respond to pushing memory button.
Yeah that's why I think the comfort entry is the most pointless "feature" of the car. It would almost always still be adjusting it when I open the door and take way more time than I was willing to give it between inserting and turning the key.

Once I found out it was working as expected, that thing has been off and will never be re-enabled.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I have same, coded to #1 too, and to my key. I get this every now and again but i also valet my car at airport and wife drives sometimes so who knows lol. All I know is press of 1 gets it back.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Also have same issue as original post.

If you have comfort entry then why bother using the key? Just leave the valet key in there and use that, while keeping the actual key in your pocket.

I think it's a safety 'feature' that they stop seat movement when the ignition is started. This to avoid the seat being in motion when the car is started. I never run into this problem as I'm typically the only driver.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wkearney99
If you have comfort entry then why bother using the key? Just leave the valet key in there and use that, while keeping the actual key in your pocket.
Comfort entry is different than keyless entry.

All 958s with the seat memory option have comfort entry which automatically raises the steering wheel, lowers the seat, and moves the seat back when you unlock the vehicle. Then once you put the key in the ignition it is supposed to return to where it was.

You are correct that it is for safety reasons that it stops, but they stop it when you crank the car versus putting it in gear. The other problem is that it is way too slow to return to the original position if your settings are at the other end of the spectrum from the "comfort" position.

Since you don't have to insert the key with keyless entry, I have no idea how the system works in that configuration.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Comfort entry is different than keyless entry.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. It's a challenge keeping all the options straight.

I'm thinking there's potentially also a power management angle, where the wattage necessary for the starter is chosen over continuing to power the seat motors.

Sort of like how some engines take the AC compressor offline when under harder acceleration. Haven't noticed that in the 958, but then I've not had it through a summer yet.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

My 2011 CS does the same thing. My settings are stored in the #2 position (don't ask) and I'm the only driver. Every once in a while I notice the seatback is moved forward and a quick press of the #2 button moves it back to the correct position. It's definitely weird.

I've tried saving the settings again and locking with the FOB but it still does it.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Since you don't have to insert the key with keyless entry, I have no idea how the system works in that configuration.
It returns to the memorized position when you (1) unlock the door using the key-fob button OR (2) open the door using the capacitive unlock sensor on the door handle (with the keyfob nearby.)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It returns to the memorized position when you (1) unlock the door using the key-fob button OR (2) open the door using the capacitive unlock sensor on the door handle (with the keyfob nearby.)
That's the basic memory function, I was wondering how the Comfort Entry function (move to give you the most room possible for entry after the door is unlocked, then return to previous settings after key is inserted) works with the keyless system.

As wkearney99 said, too many options to keep straight

Quick Reply: Annoying seat memory