Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Annoying seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had / have the same issue - it's a "feature". I have traced it to when I use the 2nd key.

1) key 1 is my normal driver position - stored as 1
2) open with key 2 - wife's driver position stored as 2 - press 1 and seat returns to my position
3) drive around, return home and lock the car.
4) use key 1 to open it - seat not completely in key 1 position. Press 1 to get seat to proper position.
5) drive around return home and lock it.
6) use key 1 to open - seat is in correct position. No problem.
7) Hide key 2 - no more seat position problems. Wife just presses button 2 now.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I only use one key and my wife does not drive the car. 2nd key is a backup key. This is how my car works.
Upon entry: seat moves after key in ignition while you start the car.
Upon exit: seat moves after ignition turns off.

Maybe I need to check upon entry if ignition is turned to "I" instead of starting the car to allow seat to go to preset position?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I had / have the same issue - it's a "feature". I have traced it to when I use the 2nd key.
Get a Fobguard for the 2nd key. I picked up this one:
Amazon Amazon

Fits perfectly with the key and the factory ring and leather fob attached to it. Even with the velcro flap left open it still blocks the key from being detected by the vehicle. Wouldn't work for the kind of prison guard keyring some folks have though.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:08 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No problem here

I am not having a problem with the seat memory in my '11 CS, and my wife and I constantly change positions using two different keys. These are the actions I do that may help.

1) I turned off the comfort entry through the MFD. I did this because the constant back and forth puts a lot of undue stress on the battery.
2) After my wife has driven the CS I do not select my #1 position until I turn on the engine. Again this helps in battery longevity.

I told my wife to perform the same steps and we have not had a problem with seat memory. I am not sure if this is a cure but it has worked for us.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 AM
scorleo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkturbo
I am not having a problem with the seat memory in my '11 CS, and my wife and I constantly change positions using two different keys. These are the actions I do that may help.

1) I turned off the comfort entry through the MFD. I did this because the constant back and forth puts a lot of undue stress on the battery.
2) After my wife has driven the CS I do not select my #1 position until I turn on the engine. Again this helps in battery longevity.

I told my wife to perform the same steps and we have not had a problem with seat memory. I am not sure if this is a cure but it has worked for us.
What's MFD? Our Cayenne does not have the lights on it (1 and 2), only Off light comes on when we start driving. I'm wondering if it has been turned off accidentally by someone at the service center.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

MFD = Multi-function display. The round screen next to the RPM tachometer.

Batteries are there to power things, there's no 'stress' you're putting on them. They're harmed more by being drained too low and just age. Using them is unlikely to wear them any faster than not, so use what the vehicle was designed to provide. And keep batteries on your 5 year replacement maintenance cycle.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl

1) key 1 is my normal driver position - stored as 1
2) open with key 2 - wife's driver position stored as 2 - press 1 and seat returns to my position
3) drive around, return home and lock the car.
4) use key 1 to open it - seat not completely in key 1 position. Press 1 to get seat to proper position.
5) drive around return home and lock it.
6) use key 1 to open - seat is in correct position. No problem.
As I understand it, the settings that are stored and recalled according to which fob locks and unlocks the car are done with the 3rd button on the memory panel, the "key" one. So if my interpretation is correct, if you did this:
1) unlock the car with keyfob #1
2) press SET and the 'key' button
3) lock the car with keyfob #1.
4) unlock the car with keyfob #2
5) recall her settings with memory button 2.
6) press SET and the 'key' button
7) lock the car with keyfob #2

After that, it should automagically recall the settings defined per key.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:44 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

It only remembers the seat positioning via key remote locking if you have the automatic memory option enabled. If you disable that then it won't remember anything during a locking situation. The manual recommends disabling this once you find settings that work. Otherwise anyone making changes will have them saved (other drivers, valet, etc).

Using the key icon button for saving ties the values to the key that's currently active. The one that unlocked the vehicle. Once you find settings that work you tap Set and then tap Key to save the settings FOR THAT KEY. The 1 & 2 positions are entirely unrelated to the keys and can be set to whatever works best.

We have ours set up so that 1 on the driver side buttons is mine (the regular driver) and 2 is for my wife. This is also what we set on the passenger door; 1 for me, 2 for my wife and 3 gets used for when my son rides shotgun. Consistency helps keep this from being confusing.

Quick Reply: Annoying seat memory