Sponsored By:

Is PDLS standard on 2015+?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Is PDLS standard on 2015+?

I have BiXenon's on my 2016 CD. I can't tell if I have PDLS as I can't really tell if the lights are swiveling while I'm underway at night.

On my Touareg, it was very easy to see the high beams moving anytime I turned the wheel.

Is PDLS standard on 2015+ or an option?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW , they are listed with the Bi-Xenon headlights as part of the Premium Package on my 2017
Old 04-22-2017, 05:05 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I do have the Premium Package but not the Premium Plus (+).
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

For 2016 the Premium Package included the bi-xenons w/ PDLS, and the Premium Package Plus included the LED headlights w/ PDLS+.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To my understanding, PDLS+ is useless in the US because the DOT only allows a low beam and a high beam mode, and nothing in between. PDLS+ is supposed to continuously vary the beam coverage range based on traffic and driving conditions, which it can't do in the US spec cars because of antiquated DOT requirements.

This would make the new matrix LED headlights also useless, and Porsche already says on their website that in the US, the matrix of LEDs function as one unit because they cannot continuously vary beam range depending on driving conditions.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chiapet15
To my understanding, PDLS+ is useless in the US because the DOT only allows a low beam and a high beam mode, and nothing in between. PDLS+ is supposed to continuously vary the beam coverage range based on traffic and driving conditions, which it can't do in the US spec cars because of antiquated DOT requirements.

This would make the new matrix LED headlights also useless, and Porsche already says on their website that in the US, the matrix of LEDs function as one unit because they cannot continuously vary beam range depending on driving conditions.
The range/distance is no big deal to me, what I hope with the PDLS is the curve-lighting where the light will swivel left and right.

If it is true that the range-function of the PDLS is in fact not operable on our Cayenne's equipped with it, we need to start a PDLS-gate and have Porsche compensate us for false advertising.

I can imagine that the range function must be working between high and low beams.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

My 2015 CD with Premium Package has PDLS. It lights either corner in turns. You should be able to see working if equipped.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I can see the fixed cornering lights go on, the halogen lights that are embedded in the headlight housing and that go on and off anytime the wheel is turned, even when stationary.

I hope that I have the curve lighting where the light actually swivels left and right.

I will say, though, that I do see the lights swivel up and down and left and right upon startup at night.

On the Touareg, the cornering lights used the fog lights.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:51 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
If it is true that the range-function of the PDLS is in fact not operable on our Cayenne's equipped with it, we need to start a PDLS-gate and have Porsche compensate us for false advertising.

I can imagine that the range function must be working between high and low beams.
I have the LED headlights with PDLS+ on my 2016 CSeH, and Porsche would say that the range function is not entirely dysfunctional because it will automatically turn on the highbeams when conditions permit. However, these are the full high beams, and not the continual range adjustment. They are either low or high, with nothing in between, and is known as high beam assist.

For the matrix LED headlights on the panamera, they explicitly say: Note:
Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.

This makes me wonder why anyone in the US would want to get the matrix LEDs, and not just stick with the regular LED PDLS if the matrix was always going to be functioning as if it were one big LED
Old 05-04-2017, 10:47 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Wonder if that can be coded out with a durametric.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I had taken the CD out the other night, and for the first 300 yards or so going down my street, I could clearly see the headlights swiveling left and right when I turned the wheel at slow speed. After that it was a lot harder to notice any movement but the lights are swiveling to and fro.

The one mod I want to do is put in some LED foglights in. Just have to finally pop for the set at $170, and then take apart a lot of the fenderwell to get the access to the fog lights.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapet15
This makes me wonder why anyone in the US would want to get the matrix LEDs, and not just stick with the regular LED PDLS if the matrix was always going to be functioning as if it were one big LED
Well, they do look pretty cool...

We need a "coded features we'd like to activate" thread...

Quick Reply: Is PDLS standard on 2015+?