Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Your favorite (not obvious) feature on the 958?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 PM
termite01
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by g8tor20
It's funny because if I did away with the PDCC requirement, I would have many more cars to choose from. Several right now that I would look hard at. But just like you said, every person who has it and then drives a loaner, say they really like it and would not do without it anymore. So I am holding out for one with it.

Not sure if I'd like the sport steering wheel. I've always had MF wheels in all my cars. But that won't be a deal breaker. (It's even more rare to find someone who added the PDCC and PTV separately and not in the sport package with the sport wheel).
My previous Cayenne was an '09 GTS without PDCC. Great car but day and night difference with the PDCC. Oddly enough, my '11 does not have the sport wheel, even though it has PDCC and PTV. I don't miss it, being very happy with the MF wheel.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's funny because if I did away with the PDCC requirement, I would have many more cars to choose from. Several right now that I would look hard at. But just like you said, every person who has it and then drives a loaner, say they really like it and would not do without it anymore. So I am holding out for one with it.
Don't have it, but I've driven Cayennes with it. No question I'd prefer to have it, but even when I was looking at the V6 model (before the diesel came out and the diesel doesn't have that option) I chopped it from the list pretty early on as there were other options I wanted more and I had a budget. Basically it was really nice, but not useful for my day to day life. Same with the Air suspension. In 4.5 years I have yet to say I really wished I had either one installed.

After you finally get it, hook up with your local PCA chapter and get into an AutoX event (school is best if you haven't done an event before). Even without the performance goodies I was hanging well with 996s and older in my diesel which is the slowest of the lineup (though 400lbs at 1700 RPM covers a lot of mistakes ).

Not sure if I'd like the sport steering wheel. I've always had MF wheels in all my cars. But that won't be a deal breaker. (It's even more rare to find someone who added the PDCC and PTV separately and not in the sport package with the sport wheel).
The .2 combined it into a single wheel. There is a thread on 6spd about someone that finally got the .2 wheel to work in a .1. I don't know anyone with a PIWIS 3 though and my local dealers are unhelpful about such things
Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 AM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The main issue I have with the sports steering wheel is that it deletes the heat... and in the coldest city in the lower 48, a heated steering wheel is more than a luxury.

Unfortunately I never got to drive one with PDCC, but in two years when my CPO is up, I look forward to doing the comparison.

And to answer the OPs question, one cool little thing I like a lot is the adaptive headlights... that extra lateral light when you go around turns is very cool and helpful. Saw some deer on a corner last night that I might not have seen otherwise.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Agree with comments re: PDCC. When I traded my '08 CTT (w/o PDCC) for my '11 CTT with the PU5 Sport Package, the PDCC made more of a difference than I expected. The PDCC & PTV+ vehicles are quite rare, but they're out there if you're patient.

As for one of my favorite 'not obvious' features however, I like the ability with the Porsche Entry & Drive option, being able to fold in the side view mirrors by holding pressure on one of the exterior door lock buttons on the door handle for about a second or two after you park.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
As for one of my favorite 'not obvious' features however, I like the ability with the Porsche Entry & Drive option, being able to fold in the side view mirrors by holding pressure on one of the exterior door lock buttons on the door handle for about a second or two after you park.
To me - that's an OK feature. What would be better IMHO is if the mirrors automatically retracted when the door is locked. Lots of other euro vehicles do it that way (narrow streets..) even VW's.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
To me - that's an OK feature. What would be better IMHO is if the mirrors automatically retracted when the door is locked. Lots of other euro vehicles do it that way (narrow streets..) even VW's.

agreed. I have my Audi fold them up every time I lock it. I also like that I can use a VAG cable and modify a lot of little features. Was disappointed when I heard Porsche's aren't as flexible
Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

That would be nice too, but what would be even better (best?!) IMHO is if nobody ever f*ed with or hit your mirrors in the first place, but that ain't happening!

So I'll take what Entry & Drive gives me. It helps.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My 991 auto folds the mirrors when I lock it.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
My 991 auto folds the mirrors when I lock it.

I just found out 2 months ago that I can fold the mirrors in when locking my '12 Cayenne S by holding the lock button down on the key for 2 seconds when I lock the car (I don't have "Entry & Drive" on my PiG). I really should read the owner's manual more closely...
Old 04-27-2017, 05:09 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

If you don't have Entry and Drive it's possible to add a control module to automagically do the mirrors, close the hatch and windows. I picked one up but discovered it isn't able to work in conjunction with Entry and Drive (keyless entry). The system gets 'out of sync' eventually leading to confusion about whether the key is present or not. Shame, as it would've been quite nice to have the hatch close on the remote.

I'm guessing the dealer could probably program the system to fold the mirrors on locking, as I believe it does that in other non-US markets. But what they "can't" (or "aren't allowed to") do is un-program the Auto Stop/Start or DRLs. For that we'll have to wait until independents can get the PIWIS updates for these. Which, as one informed me, is typically not until about 18 months after the model year.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I just found out 2 months ago that I can fold the mirrors in when locking my '12 Cayenne S by holding the lock button down on the key for 2 seconds when I lock the car (I don't have "Entry & Drive" on my PiG). I really should read the owner's manual more closely...
awesome! just discovered, thanks to you, that my '15 does too!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Keep looking g8tor20,.. they're out there. It took me almost a year to find it. Although patience was a tough thing for me at the time.
Found it used (was 2.5 yrs old, with 16k miles & got it for 50% of msrp)..

Here's the build spec...

PU5 Sport Package
- 0AW PDCC
- 1ML Sport Design Steering Wheel w/ Paddles
- 1Y1 PTV Plus

2D1 Sport Design Pkg w/ Side Skirts
- AAY Wing Mirror Painted

PU4 Premium Package Plus
- 7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- 7X8 Reverse Camera Park Assist Front & Rear
- 3Y8 Power Sunscreen Rear Side Windows
- 4A4 Seat Heating Front & Rear
- 4D3 Seat Ventilation Front
- 9AH 4-zone Climate Control
- 8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control
- 4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive

0Q Exterior Color White

1D6 Trailer Hitch Coupler

3FU Panorama Roof System

3S5 Roof Rails with Moldings in Black

5ML Interior Package Yachting Mahogany

ADE Ext Trim Pkg Grab Handle in Yacht Mahogany

5ZF Porsche Crest Emblem Front/Rear Headrest

6F8 Center Console Armrest w/ "Turbo" logo

6Q7 Tiptronic Gear Selector in Aluminum

7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center Consoles

7M7 Door Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, illuminated

8BT Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights Black w/ PDLS

8SI LED Rear Light - Black w/ Adpt Break Light

9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting

9VJ Burmester (R) High End Surround Sound System

AEU Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment System

AWK Car Key Painted

CZ4 21" 911 Turbo II Rims w/Arch Extensions

Q2J 14-way Power Seats Memory Pkg

QJ4 Exterior Package High Gloss Black

QV8 Sirius XM Satellite Radio + HD Radio

VB 2-Tone Natural Leather Espresso / Cognac

Jesus Christ Steve, that's gotta be the most perfect specced CTT I've ever seen. Great work. Can you post ups pic of the interior?

Sorry for thread jack but you can blame it on steve.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

That's my car. PDCC and PTV without the sport pack
Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah...Steve screwed me up with his perfectly optioned CTT. Still upset about that

I will say it's been sort of fun trying to find my white whale. Glad to see both of you found the perfect cars.

Hoping to join the club soooooooooon
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM
BKCO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, if we are talking non-obvious features, I have a couple dumb ones -
1 - Buttons/Switches that click with authority. Now, radio/nav/climate buttons in other cars feel somewhat cheap
2 - Those grab handles. Far more useful than I first thought - helps passengers stay in place during offroad and spirited driving
3 - Center Diff Lock. I know it's not low range and I don't have the rear locker, but locking the center diff combined with the AWD system has removed me from trouble in deep snow
4 - Altitude display on GPS - I just like to know

Quick Reply: Your favorite (not obvious) feature on the 958?