958 Wheels/Tires/TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:33 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,939 Likes on 1,911 Posts
Default 958 Wheels/Tires/TPMS

Bring all of your 958 tire/wheel issues to this thread:

1. Wheel and tire sizes for various trim levels (Exchangeability).
2. Tire experiences (Good/Bad).
3. Wheel-sets for sale.
4. TPMS issues.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:26 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

What 20' or 21" factory wheels fit on the 2016 Turbo S
Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 PM
BKCO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a well rated Big O Tire install Michelin X-Ices on my stock 18s ('13 Base). Swapped my summer tires off. BIG Mistake.

They ended up scratching the rims (they paid for repairs) and the TPMS has been on ever since. I have been monitoring the tires manually for the winter season.

My impression was TPMS was associated with the rim so it should not have an issue re-syncing, but it clearly has not. Manual did not seem to be of help. Any ideas from the group?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

I've love to get a definitive answer as to whether or not we can use Panamera wheels on our PiGs ... I've seen some concerns raised either here or on 6Speed as to the ability of Panny wheels to handle the additional weight of Cayennes. I'd love to swap out my current 20" Sport Design Wheels on my '12 Cayenne S for some Turbo II wheels, and knowing that Panamera-sourced wheels are a viable option would definitely give be more sources for find a decently-priced set

Can anyone answer this question with finality??
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by BKCO
Had a well rated Big O Tire install Michelin X-Ices on my stock 18s ('13 Base). Swapped my summer tires off. BIG Mistake.

They ended up scratching the rims (they paid for repairs) and the TPMS has been on ever since. I have been monitoring the tires manually for the winter season.

My impression was TPMS was associated with the rim so it should not have an issue re-syncing, but it clearly has not. Manual did not seem to be of help. Any ideas from the group?
Those were the original stock rims? With TPMS that worked with the vehicle?

If so - they must have destroyed them when they did the tire change. If they scratched the wheels this wouldn't surprise me. A minimum wage tire guy can do a LOT of very expensive damage in a short period of time.

I've found searching TireRack's recommended installers and then reading the reviews carefully for them is productive in finding a good installer. I have one I value and recommend for any performance rim/tire work. Found them from TireRack's list.

It might be worthwhile to either visit a dealer or hook up something like a Durametric (or ICarScan) and see what the TPMS system thinks is wrong. With ICarScan you can read the status of each individual sensor - including the expected battery life remaining.

I assume you did make the changes in the PCM/TPMS multi-display to tell it that there are different tires on it and to relearn the sensors?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:12 PM
BKCO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, stock rims with TPMS that worked as expected with the summers installed. I went into the settings and selected winter tires, to no avail.

Now I'm a bit worried- funny thing is I bought the tires from tire rack and I was under the impression this was a Tire Rack installer. You may be right in they killed the sensors somehow. I was done with them after the damage to the rims (which was never apologized for).

I'll be taking it to the dealer for the summer changeover and have them take a look. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

For TPMS issues - https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...58-2-tpms.html
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For Tires/Wheel information I found this - https://www.wheel-size.com/size/pors...diesel-30-eudm
Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Jay - good thread that should be moved over here - but that is NOT his issue. He has tire sensors that have not changed - only thing changed is the tires on the rims.

This is a case of the vehicle not finding or not recognizing sensors it has already worked with. In this case - the sensors appear to be defective. Would be helpful to read the TPMS system status with an ICarScan or Durametric though..
Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
For Tires/Wheel information I found this - https://www.wheel-size.com/size/pors...diesel-30-eudm
Interesting info - but I question if it can be 100% relied on.

If I look up the 2011 or 2014 (page it opens to) CTT (4.8/turbo) is shows 18" rims as being acceptable. That will absolutely not work - the 19" rims barely clear the calipers due to the radial calipers with 390mm rotors. There is just enough clearance for a thin style Porsche wheel weights to clear the calipers with 19". There is no way 18" are going to fit.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Jay - good thread that should be moved over here - but that is NOT his issue. He has tire sensors that have not changed - only thing changed is the tires on the rims.

This is a case of the vehicle not finding or not recognizing sensors it has already worked with. In this case - the sensors appear to be defective. Would be helpful to read the TPMS system status with an ICarScan or Durametric though..
Love the use of emphasizing text features - thanks for the clarifying comments.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BKCO

There is always the possibility they damaged your sensors but unfortunately you'll need to dismount the tires in order to find out, or maybe they never put them back.... just a couple of ideas
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Wheel question?

There is a dime size chip on one of my black CTTS wheels. It appears to be a thick plastic coating. Does anyone know the repair materials or technique to use?

Thx!

Last edited by 928 GT R; 04-22-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-22-2017, 01:07 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Can I Use Panny Wheels on my PiG?

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I've love to get a definitive answer as to whether or not we can use Panamera wheels on our PiGs ... I've seen some concerns raised either here or on 6Speed as to the ability of Panny wheels to handle the additional weight of Cayennes. I'd love to swap out my current 20" Sport Design Wheels on my '12 Cayenne S for some Turbo II wheels, and knowing that Panamera-sourced wheels are a viable option would definitely give be more sources for find a decently-priced set

Can anyone answer this question with finality??
Does anyone have a denifitive answer to this question...?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

North Shore 911,

I am not the "definitive expert" but since no-one is venturing an answer I looked around and did find this guide for Panamera wheels: www.wheel-size.com/size/porsche/panamera/2016/

The largest obstacle seems to be matching wheel offsets so I think you can use the site to cross reference your 2012 Cayenne S available wheel sizes to the various Panamera wheels and find your target wheels.

Quick Reply: 958 Wheels/Tires/TPMS