Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Options Do You Have/Like On Your 958?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered a clear bra film for mine that covers the front grill and front fenders. After only 1000 miles, I am optimistic that this film will keep it looking newer longer, and fight off bird and tree droppings to clean off with a minimum of effort. It remains to be seen whether it will hold up.

Last edited by sclemmons; 05-07-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,913 Posts

bweSteve, "So I gather this is your 928GTR on occasion". Funny because I did have a small engine fire in the 928 a few years ago. Completely my fault because I cross threaded the fuel pressure testing port cap. When I started it, "POOF and sudden flames" Bigger adrenaline rush than I've ever experienced driving - Nothing like having your car on fire in your own garage! Luckily I had a fire extinguisher right there and damage was limited.

How this relates to 958 options is a bit of a stretch, but the 928 is the opposite of the 958 CTTS. Its nickname is "Delete".
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a minor engine fire in my old Escape that the P!g replaced. So I ordered the P!g with the fire extinguisher.

While it's good to have just in case, I wish I hadn't ordered it. They put it under the passenger seat which you can't easily get to from the driver. So if you are in the car by yourself, you have to get out, run around the burning car, get in, and then remove it. That's a lot of time for a car fire.

The other issue is that they used a canister size that isn't available in the US. So to replace it (due to age or use) you'd have to get it from Europe which costs a bloody fortune since it gets classified as hazardous
Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

ACC for my CD was the best decision
Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
ACC for my CD was the best decision

Second that!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Burmeister and PDCC are two things I couldn't live without in my CTT
Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

As time goes on, the Burmester is impressing me more and more. I really like the sound separation, sometimes I am actually looking around for where the heck a particular note or instrument/sound came from in the vehicle. With the sound insulated glass and in the comfort mode, this is the best listening environment I have ever experienced in an automobile.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

my bose stereo is terrible for a vehicle of this price point, wish I found one with the burmeister, my 2007 LR3's harmon kardon sound system blows this one out of the water

as for my favorite option, probably the panoramic roof, very cool and really brightens up my black interior!
Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
my bose stereo is terrible for a vehicle of this price point
I wouldn't call it terrible. It's miles better than the stock setup but nothing I'd ever consider amazing. The fact they offer that basic setup at all is ridiculous. But I'm not sure I'd encourage anyone to spring the extra three grand over the Bose to add the Burmeister instead. Yeah, it might be great and all that but there's limits eventually.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
...it might be great and all that but there's limits eventually.
After seeing some of the build sheets - and the options on the Porsche site - I have become very aware that my "limits" have a much lower "eventually" than many of the other Porsche folks in this world.

Glad all the options are there but I really don't understand the need - or desire - for a lot of them. And of course, the ones I do like then everyone should like and they should be part of the base package.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:29 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
After seeing some of the build sheets - and the options on the Porsche site - I have become very aware that my "limits" have a much lower "eventually" than many of the other Porsche folks in this world.

Glad all the options are there but I really don't understand the need - or desire - for a lot of them. And of course, the ones I do like then everyone should like and they should be part of the base package.
Which is the nice thing about Porsche over any other brand until you get to the real exotics. You don't have to get a bunch of options you don't want just to get the one you do. It does feel like they nickel and dime you to death.

For the record, I'm quite happy with my base (PCM) stereo. We ponied up for the high end system in the 996 and it was still garbage. So I decided going in I wasn't going to waste the money and planned to replace it shortly after getting it. I've found it to be good enough compared to custom systems I've built and had built for me in the past and 4.5 years later I'm still rocking along to it.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeearly

For the sports coupes, there's absolutely something to be said for being able to order only what you want; nothing more, nothing less. For the SUVs, however, it does seem pretty stupid, especially in comparison to other marques.

Porsche seems to be quite pleased about being #1 in profitability, no doubt borne on the backs of those of us paying for all these options. But until the market tightens up and they have to be more competitive you'll likely see the crazy option pricing continue.

I was willing to make the jump from an S to a GTS, as by the time I optioned the S it was about $1200 more for the GTS. A 'reasonable' bump for the added HP. But the jump to the Turbo and the Turbo S was just too much for what I expect out of this as an SUV. Don't get me wrong, it'd be GREAT having the added HP but not $30k great. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for making those choices, it just wasn't where I wanted to spend the extra coin.
The following users liked this post:
928 GT R (01-02-2020)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 AM
FlyingMoose
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All but one of my vehicles I've bought pre owned. My wife buys new cars but the depreciation makes me physically ill. I have to be flexible when it comes to options, but I had a couple of must have options on this one. It had to have ventilated seats. That's something I would have never let a salesman talk me into, but after my wife had it on her Lexus a few years ago, I got it on my Lexus and let me tell you as long as I live in a hot place, I won't have a car without it. I wish this one had it in the rear seats for the little one.

Had to have a diesel. That was the rabbit hole that lead me to the Cayenne in the first place. I'm just giddy with excitement at my gobs of torque and 700 mile range.

I guess the awesome 14 way seats are an option. I just found the thigh adjustment today. Bonus!

I also found out I have a fire extinguisher. Actually, I have a fire extinguisher bracket. Now I have to buy an extinguisher for it.

I wish I had a remote start. It's nice to be able to preheat or cool the car down.

The following 2 users liked this post by FlyingMoose:
928 GT R (11-23-2019), wkearney99 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:16 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Curious as to last item "Options not listed above" for >$6K?

Options I have that I like:
Heated seats
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Dynamic Lighting System (PDLS)

Options I have that I don't like:
Homelink (Actually, I like it but system is finicky on my pig; works fine on Boxster)

Options I like that I don't have:
Keyless entry
Ventilated seats
Heated steering wheel.
In the "other" category I have found "Leather covered 18 way seat switches", Leather seat bases", "Leather fuse panel covers" and "Leather surrounds on the rear infotainment system" (all with deviating stitching).

The heated steering wheel is much better in the later model pigs than the earlier pigs... I really like being able to turn it on after skiing, it gets toasty!
wkearney99 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 07:15 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
In the "other" category I have found "Leather covered 18 way seat switches", Leather seat bases", "Leather fuse panel covers" and "Leather surrounds on the rear infotainment system" (all with deviating stitching).

The heated steering wheel is much better in the later model pigs than the earlier pigs... I really like being able to turn it on after skiing, it gets toasty!
+1 on the seats, both heated and ventilated; front and rear. Note that rear ventilated seats also requires separate rear AC (4-way). Having 4-way AC requires a different back seat floor mat if you go the single piece Weathertech style.

If there's one option I didn't get that I regret, it was the piano black (shiny) plastic finish options for the front grille and bottom of the rear-view mirror pedestals. The matte finish on most plastics never ages well.

Heh, the deviated stitching and leather options... C'mon, just how hideously expensive do you want to make it?
928 GT R (11-23-2019)

Quick Reply: What Options Do You Have/Like On Your 958?