PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

OP,

Porsche has been covering some of these under the emissions warranty which I believe is 80,000 and 8 or 10 years. I am quoting this from my research last fall so my numbers could be off.

I did speak with a few SA's at a few different dealerships and they confirmed that it was sometimes covered under the emissions warranty.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I would think that if you had to replace and pay for the engine yourself you could repair what you have for far less than 35k'ish. Theoreticly the damage should be limited to valves/valvetrain , piston tops. I really feel for both you and the indy and I'm sending some positive energy your way.
I appreciate that....

I'm just so shocked that everything I've done up till now has been on my own, I have not had much luck with assistance from the dealership I purchased my Turbo from to begin with.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jford
OP,

Porsche has been covering some of these under the emissions warranty which I believe is 80,000 and 8 or 10 years. I am quoting this from my research last fall so my numbers could be off.

I did speak with a few SA's at a few different dealerships and they confirmed that it was sometimes covered under the emissions warranty.

Good luck!

Thank you sir,

I have heard that bit of information from other members as well.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I would think that if you had to replace and pay for the engine yourself you could repair what you have for far less than 35k'ish. Theoreticly the damage should be limited to valves/valvetrain , piston tops. I really feel for both you and the indy and I'm sending some positive energy your way.
Well I still have not heard anything from the RU__AK Auto group where I purchased this Turbo from, today I have reached out again asking for the best contact for PORSCHE NA Field Representative Kerry West.

I'm hoping they will catch my drift how serious I am about this situation, I have been a loyal Porsche owner, parts distributor and installer for many years. However I feel that this may need to go a different direction if I don't hear anything by Friday morning.

I will keep the thread up-dated.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The Federal 8-year/80,000 mile emissions warranty is quite specific:

"https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-transportation/frequent-questions-epas-office-transportation-and-air-quality"

Originally Posted by Fed Government
The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. If you are a resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty protection provided that:
  • Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test; and
  • Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and
  • Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle; and
  • The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers’ written maintenance instructions; and
  • You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.
The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever first occurs), and the specified major emissions control components mentioned above for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The manufacturer can deny this warranty coverage if evidence shows that the emission component failure was caused by improper use or maintenance and not caused by a defect.
Note that the valve train is never mentioned as an emissions component covered by the federal warranty.

What may happen is your STATE may have additional definitions of emissions related components - and may cover the valve train. Those are the places where Porsche agrees to cover the repair under an emissions warranty.

They also seemed more likely to cover it if (1) the person owning the car was the original buyer (2) the car had been regularly and faithfully serviced at a Porsche dealer. That's just something I've observed in watching the failures and seeing reports on how they were handled by Porsche.

(Before anyone throws Magnusson-Moss at me - tell me exactly who enforces MM.. oh, no one? Really? Ever hear of a case? No? There is a reason..)

So - in order to try to get Porsche to own up to it with the emissions warranty coverage - hope and pray you're in the right state (I'm not..) and that Porsche is feeling generous (hard to imagine..) Don't just toss out the 8/80 thing, because getting it to apply is more difficult than you might think.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, my dealer fixed my '11 when the bolts sheered. They said Porsche agreed to cover it under warranty. They never claimed which warranty was covering the repair.

A month or two ago I was relating my experience to a VW service rep. He said they will often say that VW is covering a repair under warranty when in fact the dealership is eating the cost as good will for a regular customer. I'm not sure if that is what is happening here but the people who have successfully got the repair covered under warranty have often been people who purchased their car from the dealer and did their service there. It seems hard to believe the dealer would let VW claim credit for the repair but he was positive that is what happened in my case.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bfly
FWIW, my dealer fixed my '11 when the bolts sheered. They said Porsche agreed to cover it under warranty. They never claimed which warranty was covering the repair.

A month or two ago I was relating my experience to a VW service rep. He said they will often say that VW is covering a repair under warranty when in fact the dealership is eating the cost as good will for a regular customer. I'm not sure if that is what is happening here but the people who have successfully got the repair covered under warranty have often been people who purchased their car from the dealer and did their service there. It seems hard to believe the dealer would let VW claim credit for the repair but he was positive that is what happened in my case.
Yeah, I hear you, sad when the same dealership sold me this Turbo and now refuses to deal with me, I have still not received more than a email with a parts list. No call backs etc.

Hold on for the ride........

This is going to get expensive...
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Just thought I'd post an update, received an email from a PORSCHE field rep, quickly explained the situation and ask for a call back....... Will update once I know more.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Wish you the best bud, that really blows.

This is why I bought an S and not a Turbo.

I'd keep trying to ask Porsche to help you. They were great to me on a dumb alignment issue.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
... This is why I bought an S and not a Turbo. ...
Are you saying that the camshaft adjustor bolts are steel in a CTTS, verses aluminum in a CTT?

Btw, my dealer has ordered a set of the new bolts. They looked up the WC-22, and part number for those bolts. They want to actually see / inspect the bolt for themselves.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Are you saying that the camshaft adjustor bolts are steel in a CTTS, verses aluminum in a CTT?

Btw, my dealer has ordered a set of the new bolts. They looked up the WC-22, and part number for those bolts. They want to actually see / inspect the bolt for themselves.
Cayenne S, not TTS.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Is the bolt problem a "Turbo only" problem? I was under the impression that all the V-8s were affected.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

ALL the V8's are affected from late '10 to early '12.

The /S he's speaking of may be the new one with the puny V6 turbo engine? Aside from it being a different engine entirely and out of the model year range - if it was a V8 /S from that range it would be effected.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by bweSteve

I'd love to see that too - since as far as anyone has found - there is no part# for the bolts, only the adjusters as a unit. It's assembled by an outside company (Hydraulik-Gear) for Porsche. Porsche doesn't make these parts themselves. They just bolt them into the engine. WC-22 has the dealer replacing the entire set of adjusters.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
Wish you the best bud, that really blows.

This is why I bought an S and not a Turbo.

I'd keep trying to ask Porsche to help you. They were great to me on a dumb alignment issue.
Turbo and S models are both effected.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00