Jerky Shifting into 3rd and 4th Gear in my 2012 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:55 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Jerky Shifting into 3rd and 4th Gear in my 2012 Cayenne S

Gents,

I've tried searching here and elsewhere for advice on this, but there's a fair bit of contradictory info out there on this so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I picked up a CPO'd 2012 Cayenne S two months ago, and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far (especially with the 6 inches of snow here in Chicago on Sunday ).

Just in the last few days, I've begun to notice a very jerky shifting pattern primarily between 2nd-3rd-4th gears. I rarely (if ever) use the Tip in manual mode, as I generally opt for leaving in full auto mode while driving in Sport Mode. When I hit the throttle from a stop, the 1-2 shift is fine. But the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th are really uneven. The car almost shudders with an almost-audible "clunk-clunk-clunk" noise as the tach show an uneven RPM response under acceleration.

I've read about potential causes ranging from a failing transfer case to a problem with the valve body assembly in the transmission to a potential throttle body problem (apparently solved by some with a simple throttle body reset). I'm looking for any thoughts from this group if you guys can give a new Cayenne owner some help on this
Old 12-06-2016, 09:14 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Since the car is CPO why not take in to the dealer for them to work out a fix?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

From the way you describe the shift feel (shudder) it sounds to me like a faulty transfer case, which unfortunately is not unusual on the 958 Cayennes. My '11 CTT had the transfer case replaced under warranty at 32k for the same symptoms you describe. At 59k now and all is fine.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
From the way you describe the shift feel (shudder) it sounds to me like a faulty transfer case, which unfortunately is not unusual on the 958 Cayennes. My '11 CTT had the transfer case replaced under warranty at 32k for the same symptoms you describe. At 59k now and all is fine.
Yeah, it's starting to look that way, and I wonder how common this is on the 958.1's .... I just booked a service appointment with my P Dealer for Thursday for them to sort this out and I'll have a loaner while they look at it. I'll let everyone know what they diagnose, and with CPO coverage through Oct '18 I'm gonna push them to replace anything/everything to sort this out
Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

cannot be much, certified pre owned always have very fuel miles on them so no wear out could be possible, have you checked the tire pressure? Radically low tire pressure in one could cause funny shifting
Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dr914
cannot be much, certified pre owned always have very fuel miles on them so no wear out could be possible, have you checked the tire pressure? Radically low tire pressure in one could cause funny shifting
This 2012 Cayenne S had 50k on the clock when I bought in 2 months ago from Loeber Porsche here in Chicagoland, so it's well through where others seem to have had problems with either the transfer case or the valve assembly in the transmission. But all will be revealed next week when the service department trouble-shoots this. And the tires are all brand new and normally inflated (33 front and 38 rear)

This sure makes me feel good that I negotiated CPO into the purchase price because it was initially listed by the Dealer as non-CPO
Old 12-11-2016, 12:03 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
This sure makes me feel good that I negotiated CPO into the purchase price because it was initially listed by the Dealer as non-CPO
As my independent mechanic sez - anyone who owns a late model Euro car without a warranty is foolish. One repair can easily cost the price of the warranty. I've got 4.5 years left on mine..
Old 12-11-2016, 03:13 PM
mlct
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting my 2011 Turbo has been in the shop for a few days to have them look at a rough 3rd to 4th shift. I only happens when I am on maintenance throttle around town and it shifts up at around 30mph. if I manually shift it around that speed it is smooth as it is when I am under full throttle, though that shift is obviously at a higher speed.

They replaced the transfer case but it didn't fix the issue so are thinking about it. I have read onine that the valve body might cause this. Hopefully I will find out soon about it. Might just keep the new transfer case as I am told it will likely go eventually.

This ring any bells with anyone. It was a CPO which just went out of warranty, of course, at 6 years in October. Now at 80k and I have been towing tracks cars first on an open and now an enclosed aluminium trailer
The following users liked this post:
AAbouganem (01-05-2023)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:07 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Default Update #1...

Well, I dropped my '12 Cayenne S at the P Dealer this afternoon and talked them through the uneven shifting from 2nd-3rd-4th gears. As soon as I explained the uneven shifting/hesitation between gears and mentioned my concerns about a potential transfer case concern, he went right there and seemed to imply that's the likely cuase. I just hope they can recreate it and deal with it. I'll update everyone once they give me a call back tomorrow with their findings.

Do you guys know the incentive for the Dealer to fully address this kind of item under CPO? Does the dealer get fully paid out by PCNA for the CPO-covered work, or do they make less on CPO repairs versus non-CPO? I'm just trying to understand the economic incentive for the Dealer to get a sense for how hard I need to push for a full replacement versus understanding their incentive to also push for a bigger chunk of work. In the meantime, I've got a 2016 Macan as a loaner which I have say is a bit underwhelming, but I'm sure this has been discussed at length on other threads ....
Old 12-15-2016, 11:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Dealers do OK on CPO work. The allowed time is a bit of a bind for them - but good mechanics can usually beat the standard book time. They do get fully reimbursed for the labor/parts - so no issue with them doing the work, they know they'll get paid. And they want to keep you happy since you determine how well they do when you're called by Porsche on the after-service survey. If you don't give them excellent in all categories it costs them money (holdback money.. which is at Porsche's discretion.)

The Porsche CPO is very highly rated - and my experience with it on my last Cayenne was excellent once I made friends with the service department.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 AM
mlct
Instructor

Originally Posted by mlct
Interesting my 2011 Turbo has been in the shop for a few days to have them look at a rough 3rd to 4th shift. I only happens when I am on maintenance throttle around town and it shifts up at around 30mph. if I manually shift it around that speed it is smooth as it is when I am under full throttle, though that shift is obviously at a higher speed.

They replaced the transfer case but it didn't fix the issue so are thinking about it. I have read onine that the valve body might cause this. Hopefully I will find out soon about it. Might just keep the new transfer case as I am told it will likely go eventually.

This ring any bells with anyone. It was a CPO which just went out of warranty, of course, at 6 years in October. Now at 80k and I have been towing tracks cars first on an open and now an enclosed aluminium trailer
Mine has been in the shop for 10 days now. They replaced the transfer case but that did not fix the problem so they have been looking for a "test" Transmission Control Unit to try. Does anyone know how much one of these costs and how hard it is to replace? I am very tempted to just pay for the part, knowing it is non-returnable and may not fix the problem, just to get this moving along.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mlct
Mine has been in the shop for 10 days now. They replaced the transfer case but that did not fix the problem so they have been looking for a "test" Transmission Control Unit to try. Does anyone know how much one of these costs and how hard it is to replace? I am very tempted to just pay for the part, knowing it is non-returnable and may not fix the problem, just to get this moving along.
mlct,

After dropping off my '12 Cayenne S yesterday afternoon to address the tranny problem, I got an update from my P-Dealer last night. In addition to fixing a bunch of smaller items under CPO (starter replacement, battery replacement, comfort seat return position and dealing with some funky PCM 3.0 software gremlins), the service rep told me that they recognized this uneven shifting as a "known issue" and are providing a software update that addresses the problem. I didn't ask if there was a specific recall issued (which I think we all would have heard about about if there was one), but I will definitely ask for more info and pass it along so you can raise this with your Dealer as well.

When I initially dropped it off and explained the issue, the service rep was pretty quick to recognize this as something that they have seen before and he seemed pretty comfortable that they had a fix for it. Unfortunately they didn't have a starter in stock so I won't get it back until Tuesday, but I'll share out the details from the paperwork in case this may be a potential solution for you as well. I also hope this actually solves my problem as well
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 AM
mlct
Instructor

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
mlct,

After dropping off my '12 Cayenne S yesterday afternoon to address the tranny problem, I got an update from my P-Dealer last night. In addition to fixing a bunch of smaller items under CPO (starter replacement, battery replacement, comfort seat return position and dealing with some funky PCM 3.0 software gremlins), the service rep told me that they recognized this uneven shifting as a "known issue" and are providing a software update that addresses the problem. I didn't ask if there was a specific recall issued (which I think we all would have heard about about if there was one), but I will definitely ask for more info and pass it along so you can raise this with your Dealer as well.

When I initially dropped it off and explained the issue, the service rep was pretty quick to recognize this as something that they have seen before and he seemed pretty comfortable that they had a fix for it. Unfortunately they didn't have a starter in stock so I won't get it back until Tuesday, but I'll share out the details from the paperwork in case this may be a potential solution for you as well. I also hope this actually solves my problem as well
North Shore 911,

Please do keep me posted on how yours is resolved. A software fix would be great.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Default Tranny Shifting Resolution (hopefully ....)

To close the loop on this, I picked up my '12 Cayenne S this afternoon to address the uneven shifting between 2nd-3rd-4th gears under CPO. Specifically addressing the transmission issues, the P Dealer (Loeber Porsche in Lincolnwood, IL) performed a software update to the transmission control module. When I asked if this was a "known problem", the Service Rep said that it wasn't sufficiently common for a campaign, but this software update was designed to sort this kind of problem out. If it helps anyone else, here is a pic of the paperwork with the specific write up for the software update (the first item at the top of the list):

I just picked up the car today so I'll beat it up for a week to so to determine if this actually sorted out my problem, but I wanted to post this up in case this helped anyone else trying to deal with similar issues.

On a side note, I'll post this up separately but I have to say that I was quite impressed with the CPO work by Loeber. Not only did they address each of the 5 items that I asked them to deal with (actually 4 'cause they can't seem to fix the seat return function in Comfort Setting...), they also identified 2 additional items (faulty starter motor and a failing thermostat housing) and replaced everything with new. Just wanted to call out some great customer service from a P Dealer, 'cause there aren't a lot of those examples around
Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 AM
mlct
Instructor

Thanks North Shore 911,

Mine should be ready today with a replaced Transmission Control Unit that hopefully will fix the issue. They told me on Monday that they applied a software update already without any success but I will pass along your info to see what they say.

Quick Reply: Jerky Shifting into 3rd and 4th Gear in my 2012 Cayenne S