Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front AC doesn't work - Cayenne 958 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:10 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Advan
Lucky for you your car is under warranty. It's hard for me to get any real information here so please could you let me know what your dealer says? Also which part they replaced and part number would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Problem fixed - dealer replaced front blower just like in the 958 CTT AC problem thread. Part# 958-572-342-02
Old 06-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Advan
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TD Pcar
Problem fixed - dealer replaced front blower just like in the 958 CTT AC problem thread. Part# 958-572-342-02
Thank you.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Advan
AutoX

I just changed my HVAC blower. Ordered the part number listed TD Pcar and did it myself. Took about 1 hour from start to finish. It was quite easy and anyone who is able to change a car filter will be able to do it. There are some instructions online but it's fairly straight forward. The only tricky part is to locate a couple of the hiddden screws and make sure you get the corner back ones without dropping them into the back of the carpet. My tip here is to take your time and have an extension for the 5.5mm.

I don't actually know if this fixed the problem because my AC was working but the air strength seems stronger!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I don't actually know if this fixed the problem because my AC was working but the air strength seems stronger!
Ummm... what year Cayenne?

And if it was working, what inspired you to change the blower? On the 958.x series - there are three different levels of "blow" that you can select hidden down in the vehicle customization menus. Plus "MaxAC"..
Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - if someone who has swapped out their blower could take some photos of the blower assembly - be interesting to see if it's like the 955/957 series where a Tourag blower is identical but about 1/3rd the price at a VW dealer..
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

A bit of searching turned up the answer - identical - at least in appearance:

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/95857234202 - Porsche Part - $413

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TOUAREG-2...xUMnzY&vxp=mtr - VW Part $293 in the UK..

http://www.vwparts2go.com/p/Volkswag...P0820021F.html - $233 in the USA..

BTW - other sources for the VW motor - just Google 7P0820021F
Old 06-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Advan
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ummm... what year Cayenne?

And if it was working, what inspired you to change the blower? On the 958.x series - there are three different levels of "blow" that you can select hidden down in the vehicle customization menus. Plus "MaxAC"..
My blower was coming on and off randomly. On some days it would be out for a few minutes, on others it wouldnt come on. The day I changed it over, it was working.

To help others who may have this issues and find this thread here are my notes:

Year & Model: 2011 Cayenne S, 30,000 miles with 4 zone AC
Symptoms: On and off with no way of working out how to get it on. Switching the AC on and off repeatedly sometimes gets it working but its not certain. No abnormal noise. Rear AC worked but warmish air at times.

Error Code on Dura: P0A1B00 (Drive Motor "A" Control Module Factory Fault Code 33536)

Part number: Part# 958-572-342-02

Notes: My research online found several owners with the same issue but they were mostly 955 models. Some also suggest a problem with the Servo Motor which controls the flap but this was (a) a pain to change over and (b) didnt make sense given the issues I was having - I figured there should be still a lot of air coming out somewhere if it were the flaps.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
BTW - if someone who has swapped out their blower could take some photos of the blower assembly - be interesting to see if it's like the 955/957 series where a Tourag blower is identical but about 1/3rd the price at a VW dealer..
I dont have info on the 955 models but the 958 ones are identical with the same Bosch model number on the sticker and VW logo on the Porsche unit. If you remove the bottom tray under your glove compartment, you will see the blower unit and you will see the sticker and model number.

I am pretty sure the 955 model should be the same. I almost purchased mine from VW but they were out of stock so I went to Porsche. The price difference here in Japan was only about 80 dollars.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I dont have info on the 955 models but the 958 ones are identical with the same Bosch model number on the sticker and VW logo on the Porsche unit. If you remove the bottom tray under your glove compartment, you will see the blower unit and you will see the sticker and model number.

I am pretty sure the 955 model should be the same. I almost purchased mine from VW but they were out of stock so I went to Porsche. The price difference here in Japan was only about 80 dollars.
That's actually (958) what I was asking about. There are several threads referencing the 955/957 blowers and identifying them as identical to the VW blower.

Now we know we can use a VW blower (available for about 50% of the cost of a Porsche sold one) and save some money.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 AM
Ckgixxer
4th Gear

I have 2011 Cayenne S with 60k and sometime it works some times it don't. Controls are all the way up and when it is blowing it is like it stuck on soft air flow. If I hit max ac it just shuts off. Does that sound the same? Just replace blower motor has worked for you all? Thank you so much for all your input!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 AM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 4 zone option. I have the exact same problem but it affect th rear vents, the front works perfectly. Does anyone know if the rear have its own blower?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
I have the 4 zone option. I have the exact same problem but it affect th rear vents, the front works perfectly. Does anyone know if the rear have its own blower?
The rear has it's own blower. Lives behind the grille on the port side of the luggage compartment.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Ckgixxer
4th Gear

Anyone know if replacing blower may solve my 11 S sometimes works but never all the strong.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

From my research the blower seems to be culprit.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

In all these instances - diagnostics would be a bunch easier if you had a tool that could (1) read stored fault codes - if the blower is slow starting up chances are there are codes stored about the circuit breaker that protects it tripping (2) Activate the device in question - ie - turn the blower on, and control it's speed via the tool rather than the controls.

Oh - what does that? iCarScan can. It also can do something I've found quite useful - which is re-teach the stepper motors that control the multitude of flaps in the system where "0" is. The iCarScan has such a function available. It runs the steppers through their full range several times - forcing them to stall at the end positions. Doing this it can re-learn where the fully closed point is. If your flaps aren't doing what they're supposed to when they're supposed to - the system will never work correctly.

I've done this several times on my '11 CTT - and each time - the HVAC system performance has been improved. My WAG is I have some flaps/steppers that are getting sticky, which means the motors "drop-counts" (steps) and the control unit thinks they're in one position, when in actuality they're in a different position (ie - 50% open instead of 100% open.) The same function is used when stepper motors are replaced to set them initially.

I dunno if Durametic has this capability. I haven't plugged mine into the Cayenne since I got the iCarScan. It might, one hopes be able to do this.

Just a heads up - replacing parts based on incomplete information (and Internet guesses) can get rather expensive - making the iCarScan seem a bargain.
The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
Eskimo1 (07-08-2019), wyowolf (06-15-2022)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

I don't think the stepper motor is malfunctioning as there is no air coming out at all regardless of the displayed fan speed. Further more there is no change in noise to indicate the fan spinning. Also taking the side panel off, the fan is not spinning. Hence I think that it's the motor that's busted. There's also a possibility that the resistor is malfunctioning as well. But for the life of me, I can find the resistor on the 2nd blower hence I think that it's probably intergrated into the blower.

When researching this problem, it was apparent that the blower was the culprit. It apparently affects all cars frequently and just not the cayenne.

I have an icarsoft por ii which is a pretty good scanner. My ctt did not trip any codes.

Quick Reply: Front AC doesn't work - Cayenne 958 HELP!