Sponsored By:

Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change

Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Nixer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change

Guys,
I am changing the ATF fluid on my car.. we lost quite a bit of fluid when changing the trans oil cooler.
I looked at some DIYs for 955 and there seems to be 2 different plugs on the pan. One is to drain oil and the other one is to fill.. however in 958 all I see is a single plug.. when I unscrewed the plug, all the oil drained out completely.

Do I fill oil through the same plug which I used to drain? Is there a tube inside the inspection plug? When I took the inspection plug, I don't see a tube.....

I'd greatly appreciate any help on this. TIA!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Nixer
Intermediate

Old 05-01-2016, 12:58 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

From the manual - which is where that picture came from: (My comments in italics)

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > INFORMATION >
TEST CONDITIONS AFTER OPENING COOLER LINES

ATF cooler lines were opened.

For example: when replacing the transmission, changing ATF, changing ATF lines, replacing ATF cooler, replacing ATF thermostat.

Warm up transmission in lower load range. Switch all transmission ranges several times while
doing so.

Read out the ATF sump temperature using the PIWIS Tester.

The ATF temperature must be 100 °C (cooling system open).

Let ATF cool down to approx. 35 °C.

Selector lever is in position P.

Press the brake pedal and shift the gear lever slowly through P-R-N-D three times. Hold the
selector lever in each position for 2 seconds.

Test and filling procedure at idle speed with air conditioning switched off.

Then it follows with:

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > CHECKING ATF

1. Move selector lever to position P and start the engine.
Place oil collection pan underneath.
WARNING: Hot fluid
1. Danger of scalding
→ Let the fluid cool down.
→ Wear personal protective gear.

Information

For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION -
section on "Information".

1. Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The reason for this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube .

2. Unscrew oil inspection plug -1- .

3. The oil level is correct when ATF is dripping continuously from the lifting tube. If this is not the
case, add more ATF. → TOPPING UP ATF - section on "Topping up"

4. Screw in oil inspection plug -1- with a new seal. → Tightening Torque: 16 Nm (12 ft. lb.) +/-1
Nm (+/- 0.5 ft. lb.)

Fig 2: Identifying ATF Inspection Plug

And the image you have is shown..

And to finalize the confusion:

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > TOPPING UP ATF

Information

For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION - section
on "Information".

Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The reason for
this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube.

2. Place oil collection pan underneath.

1. Danger of scalding

Information
For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION
- section on "Information".

{Ya gotta love information that tells you to read "Information"..}

1. Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The
reason for this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube .

1. Unscrew oil inspection plug -1- .

Fig 1: Identifying ATF Inspection Plug

(once again - the same damn image appears..)

3. Screw adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling ATF Oil VAS 6262/2 WE 1390 into the ATF
pan hand-tight.

4. Connect adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling Oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 to the rapid-action
coupling and fill in ATF.

5. Pull off adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling Oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 at the rapid-action
coupling and check to see if ATF emerges.

6. There was no #6.. go figure..

7. If no ATF emerges, fill in ATF until a constant discharge is visible at the lifting tube -2- .

8. Allow the ATF to drain for as long as required until the ATF is still only dripping continuously.
Screw in oil inspection plug -1- with a new seal. → Tightening Torque: 16 Nm (12 ft. lb.) +/-1
Nm (+/- 0.5 ft. lb.)

And of course the image you already have shown..

My thoughts on the "pipe" assembly. It appears that the inner part of the drain plug - the pipe (Part#2 - the gray part) - can be removed from the plug in order to actually drain the entire transmission. Otherwise it stays in the pan when the plug (yellow part) is removed. The manual somewhere makes mention of removing the filler tube using an allen wrench.

I'll point this thread out to someone who did change his fluid about a week ago and see if he has any comments. Apparently the fill is slightly different if you've disturbed hoses to the cooler.

Might I ask why the cooler was replaced? Just curious..
Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 AM
Nixer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
From the manual - which is where that picture came from: (My comments in italics)

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > INFORMATION >
TEST CONDITIONS AFTER OPENING COOLER LINES

ATF cooler lines were opened.

For example: when replacing the transmission, changing ATF, changing ATF lines, replacing ATF cooler, replacing ATF thermostat.

Warm up transmission in lower load range. Switch all transmission ranges several times while
doing so.

Read out the ATF sump temperature using the PIWIS Tester.

The ATF temperature must be 100 °C (cooling system open).

Let ATF cool down to approx. 35 °C.

Selector lever is in position P.

Press the brake pedal and shift the gear lever slowly through P-R-N-D three times. Hold the
selector lever in each position for 2 seconds.

Test and filling procedure at idle speed with air conditioning switched off.

Then it follows with:

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > CHECKING ATF

Place oil collection pan underneath.
1. Danger of scalding

Information

For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION -
section on "Information".

1. Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The reason for this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube .

2. Unscrew oil inspection plug -1- .

3. The oil level is correct when ATF is dripping continuously from the lifting tube. If this is not the
case, add more ATF. → TOPPING UP ATF - section on "Topping up"

4. Screw in oil inspection plug -1- with a new seal. → Tightening Torque: 16 Nm (12 ft. lb.) +/-1
Nm (+/- 0.5 ft. lb.)

And the image you have is shown..

And to finalize the confusion:

WM 370235 CHECKING AND TOPPING UP ATF (ALL MODELS) > TOPPING UP ATF

Information

For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION - section
on "Information".

Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The reason for
this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube.

2. Place oil collection pan underneath.

1. Danger of scalding

Information
For details of the next steps, read the test conditions specified under → INFORMATION
- section on "Information".

{Ya gotta love information that tells you to read "Information"..}

1. Information
A certain amount of oil will always be lost after unscrewing the oil inspection plug. The
reason for this is that some oil remains on the plug in the lifting tube .

1. Unscrew oil inspection plug -1- .

Fig 1: Identifying ATF Inspection Plug

(once again - the same damn image appears..)

3. Screw adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling ATF Oil VAS 6262/2 WE 1390 into the ATF
pan hand-tight.

4. Connect adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling Oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 to the rapid-action
coupling and fill in ATF.

5. Pull off adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling Oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 at the rapid-action
coupling and check to see if ATF emerges.

6. There was no #6.. go figure..

7. If no ATF emerges, fill in ATF until a constant discharge is visible at the lifting tube -2- .

8. Allow the ATF to drain for as long as required until the ATF is still only dripping continuously.
Screw in oil inspection plug -1- with a new seal. → Tightening Torque: 16 Nm (12 ft. lb.) +/-1
Nm (+/- 0.5 ft. lb.)

And of course the image you already have shown..

My thoughts on the "pipe" assembly. It appears that the inner part of the drain plug - the pipe (Part#2 - the gray part) - can be removed from the plug in order to actually drain the entire transmission. Otherwise it stays in the pan when the plug (yellow part) is removed. The manual somewhere makes mention of removing the filler tube using an allen wrench.

I'll point this thread out to someone who did change his fluid about a week ago and see if he has any comments. Apparently the fill is slightly different if you've disturbed hoses to the cooler.

Might I ask why the cooler was replaced? Just curious..
Thank you for taking time to respond and post the workshop manual instructions.

My car was in an accident. The power steering cooler , transmission oil cooler, radiator, radiator fan and condenser were damaged. We replaced all these so I decided to flush the transmission fluid as well.

I was able to drain the fluid by unscrewing the so called inspection fluid. I will try to get the pipe removed using allen wrench tomorrow. However I haven't identified the fill plug. The pan has no fill plug like it used in 955 models. The manual doesn't show how (where) to fill the fluid...

3. Screw adapter for filling oil Adapter For Filling ATF Oil VAS 6262/2 WE 1390 into the ATF pan hand-tight.

I need to know where to hand-tight the adapter...There is only one plug in the pan which is the inspection plug... where is the fill plug!!!!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e/#entry272616
Old 06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

In preparation for eventually changing my CD's ATF I picked up Mityvac MVA7216 ATF refill kit :

http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-mva...lQchoCJDPw_wcB.

It has the numerous fill adapters.

Mity VAC ATF Refill Kit

Adapters. Cayenne uses MVA585 M10 X 1.0

The Cayenne MV585 adapter is the upper adapter

Last edited by r553; 08-24-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: deleted PET & #19 plug
Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

r553: that plug #19 looks like it's between the transmission and the transfer case seen in illustration 320-00 of the most recent PET Katalog. Did you do this oil change yet to confirm?

Did you change out the oil strainer part #30 also? What oil did you choose, the VW G055540A2 or the factory stuff?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

UPDATE deleting use of #19
garrett376,
I didn't do this service yet. I'm going to do it at 50K.

To drain the pan you remove 1 & 2 in Nixer's picture. Then you drop the pan, clean it up and install a new filter, o ring and pan gasket. Then you screw in #2 in Nixer's picture and fill the transmission thru the drain plug until the oil runs out and then fire up the car to warm up the transmission to get the cooler thermostat to open and you then add more fluid to the hot transmission until it comes out of #1. I have an IR thermometer. Others have reported the IR thermometer on the oil pan reads deg C low so you have look for 34 deg C to get 40 deg C.

Rob

Last edited by r553; 08-22-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: deleted use of #19, IR therm off a bit
Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Rob - thanks for the reply! What will you do with #19 then?

I've done this change on my 957 GTS before so it sounds like the fill process is no different... I was just curious where you thought #19 was as the 302-00 illustration shows that hex plug looks to be sandwiched between the transfer case and transmission.

Last edited by garrett376; 07-07-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

As pointed out #19 is located at the rear of the transmission and is not accessible with transfer case in place.
. I forgot to look at it when I did the differential fluid changes. there was another poster who did the 958 ATF change while repairing front end collision damage. Not sure how he filled.

The earlier cars had two pan drain plugs, one to fill and one to drain. We have one multipurpose plug for fill and drain.

Last edited by r553; 07-27-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: banished #19
The following 2 users liked this post by r553:
DeusExMaxima (02-04-2022), mr_hyde (12-30-2019)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of you who have changed the ATF on your 958 Cayenne / Aisin TR-82SD did you use the OE Porsche fluid or something else? The Porsche fluid is approx six time the cost of Febi Bilstein, Motul or Liqui Moly options but using the wrong fluid would be even more costly!
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (03-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm assembling my list of things to buy, and I'm leaning towards the VW G055540A2 fluid but haven't decided completely yet.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

When I change my ATF I'm most likely going with Ravenol J1D2122 or the Febi 29934. The Febi bottle shows Porsche P/N 958 300 540 00 apparently. Blau sells a kit F2A1044-C with 9 qts of Ravenol, filter, pan gaskets and seals, $320 from Amazon. The filter is by Meyle- WulfGaertner AutoParts AG. I'm going to buy the Porsche filter and gaskets from Sonnen and the Ravenol from Amazon ($164 delivered).
My local dealer confirmed the Porsche ATF comes in a bottle labeled G055 540 A2.

Last edited by r553; 08-23-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Deleted type IV ATF, added Blau kit comment, parts sources
Old 07-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
When I change my ATF I'm going with Toyota Type IV. About $80 for 12 quarts delivered from Amazon.
I thought the Cayenne D uses a different transmission, not the Aisin TR-82SD used in the V8 gas models ?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Diesel uses an A59.04 transmission type; S uses A48.04, turbo uses A48.54, base auto uses ***.04.

What's the TR-82SD?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Update: from 6 Speed online: "The fill port is located on the passenger side on top of the transmission. As I recall, it requires a hex head wrench to remove. A mirror will make locating it much easier. You can use a hand pump on the transmission fluid bottle to refill the transmission. Just be sure you replace exactly the amount that you remove.
Mine took about 6 liters."

Update #2: It looks like this separate fill port is not to be used. Filling is from below thru the single drain/fill port.

Last edited by r553; 08-22-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: banished #19, Mention use of common drain/fill port instead of separate fill port on side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change